HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:03 AM
Registered User
telos81's Avatar
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
I have both. for me, 5030 is easier to modulate speed. Finer speed control over the 5043. 5043 can power through wind better. The motor runs hot with 5043. I use spoileron at 10% - 15% to change the camber of the wing to deal with wind. With that, the 5030 does fine for me for penetration. I prefer it over the 5043.

Just my experience. I think majority of the post will lead you to 5043 rather than the milder 5030.
thanks!! i'll start with the 5030 then ... maybe i'll move to the 5043 later
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:57 AM
is it supposed to smoke??
3dFlyer88's Avatar
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
Might be a weight issue for me. I have my corsair converted to 2 cell brushless flys like its on rails but a bi rocky. Ill give it a few more runs and see if i can eliminTe the rock
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:00 PM
AMA 1042906
swimmer's Avatar
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlyer88 View Post
Might be a weight issue for me. I have my corsair converted to 2 cell brushless flys like its on rails but a bi rocky. Ill give it a few more runs and see if i can eliminTe the rock

3dFlyer88,

With AP05 motor on the way and EMAX 7amp esc from HeadsUp RC received this morning I am about ready to upgrade my Corsair to 2S brushless. Have any pictures or info how you mounted the motor and 2S batteries? Also, would you say the brushless upgrade has improved your Corsair's performance. If so, in what way?

Not a great picture but I was surprised how small the ESC is. Not any larger than my thumbnail. Will add very little weight.

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Aug 24, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 02:09 PM
Registered User
Mespert's Avatar
Canada, QC, Saint-Hubert
Joined May 2011
108 Posts
I've read the past posts about using spoilerons to slow down and land ... anyone has more comments on that is it worth the time ?
Mespert is offline Find More Posts by Mespert
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 02:42 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
3dFlyer88's Avatar
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
swimmer

I have a similar setup from hobby king. I did my best to lighten everything but i still wanted to keep the esc away from the rx so i have some extra wire weight to it. But it was a trade off for me. The motor mount is balsa that i cut a slot for in the foam and clued in place with a carbon piece for extra stability. I still have to make a nice spot for the 2 battery's to sit.
I never had the corsair stock i bought the pieces and built it my own way. But as i mentioned i get a bit of wing rock and am gona see what i can do to fix this. The power is great tho and i do like how the bird looks in the air. Make sure you add some down thrust not much just a tiny amount and i suggest a 5030 prop seems to work well.

heres a few pics if you need anything else just ask.
3d
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Last edited by 3dFlyer88; Aug 24, 2011 at 02:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:03 PM
Registered User
Raehm's Avatar
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
838 Posts
I would love to learn the build sequence on your brushless conversion!
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Me-262 Build
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:29 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
3dFlyer88's Avatar
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
my assembly will be different then a mod to brushless simply because i bought the plane as a kit and not ready to go. I built the plane around the electronics. I honestly cant say i modded much of the plane itself except for the motor mount and placement of the esc. Keep in mind i had to drop the voltage on the output of the esc to 4.2 volts with resistors so i had a stiff piece of wire which ended in the esc being aft of the rx. My next step is to find a way to conceal the batterys completely and try and give the plane a smooth look. But i think it wont happen as there is not enough space for 2 batterys before you would hit the bottom of the rx.

Please remember in any 2s conversion on the planes to drop output voltage from the rx to the brick
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:46 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
I also thought about converting to brushless but it seems like weight is the enemy in these UMs. I opened up the front to let air accross the gearbox, 5043 prop w/adapter and better batteries (e-bats ) and this really helped a lot. IMHO the Corsair is already pretty heavy so adding weight with brushless and 2S batteries just increases the wing loading and this ends up with faster landing speeds and an airplane that will stall sooner at lower speeds.

Nick
nickimde is offline Find More Posts by nickimde
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:02 PM
AMA 1042906
swimmer's Avatar
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlyer88 View Post
my assembly will be different then a mod to brushless simply because i bought the plane as a kit and not ready to go. I built the plane around the electronics. I honestly cant say i modded much of the plane itself except for the motor mount and placement of the esc. Keep in mind i had to drop the voltage on the output of the esc to 4.2 volts with resistors so i had a stiff piece of wire which ended in the esc being aft of the rx. My next step is to find a way to conceal the batterys completely and try and give the plane a smooth look. But i think it wont happen as there is not enough space for 2 batterys before you would hit the bottom of the rx.

Please remember in any 2s conversion on the planes to drop output voltage from the rx to the brick
This is the resistor number I'll be using to drop the voltage: 1N4001 I'll get it from Radio Shack.

I got a good pictorial wiring diagram of the entire electronic connection from another rcgrouper. Just have to decided placement of the esc and aft of the rx like you show would be the best place.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1486653&page=6

The motor mount looks to be an easy install.

I'll use the connector off my old brushed motor (one wire) to plug the signal wire into the brick.

What batteries are you using?

I was planning on using 5030 props and already have several on hand.

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Aug 24, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:43 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
3dFlyer88's Avatar
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
Looks good to me. Was a very easy build and im actually quite impressed with the plane thus far. As for the weight comment I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with flying. To me the extra speed really hasen't been noticed to tell you the truth. After flying the beast a brush-less sukhoi and the sbach this fits in to their category. I forgot to mention i took the big old wires off the esc that connect to the motor and put smaller ess bulky wires on from a servo. Was much easier to work with in the small frame. And also make sure to keep the same thrust angle worked perfectly for me.
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:42 AM
AMA 1042906
swimmer's Avatar
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlyer88 View Post
Looks good to me. Was a very easy build and im actually quite impressed with the plane thus far. As for the weight comment I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with flying. To me the extra speed really hasen't been noticed to tell you the truth. After flying the beast a brush-less sukhoi and the sbach this fits in to their category. I forgot to mention i took the big old wires off the esc that connect to the motor and put smaller ess bulky wires on from a servo. Was much easier to work with in the small frame. And also make sure to keep the same thrust angle worked perfectly for me.
Will do on the down/right thrust. I took pictures of the original motor top and front to determine where to set it on my upgrade.

So, the wire size off a servo are large enough to operate the brushless motor? No overheating problems?

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Aug 25, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:19 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
3dFlyer88's Avatar
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
yep plenty large enough haven't had any issues. I flew mine last night and it flew perfectly and no wing rock at all. Must be a crosswind problem.
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:53 PM
AMA 1042906
swimmer's Avatar
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlyer88 View Post
yep plenty large enough haven't had any issues. I flew mine last night and it flew perfectly and no wing rock at all. Must be a crosswind problem.
Can you get a close up of your motor mount? It looks like you have the motor mounted on an extension and braced back to the foam.

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:30 PM
Registered User
telos81's Avatar
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
i put on the 5030 prop on today ... it's nice! definitely a lot more authority coming out of turns, less stalls 'cause i can pull through them now. and in the air it looks pretty much the same (a little yellow paint and it would look about exactly the same!). she can also cruise at level flight on about 50-60% throttle, with the stock prop she needed 75+% to cruise.

i still can't get her to do a loop though i do still have a 1.4gram weight under the cowl to correct CG. i don't think i can go any lower without making her tail-heavy. i may try to cut into the cowl so i can move the battery forward next. that should allow me to remove or at least lower the cowl weight.
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:55 PM
Registered User
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
i put on the 5030 prop on today ... it's nice! definitely a lot more authority coming out of turns, less stalls 'cause i can pull through them now. and in the air it looks pretty much the same (a little yellow paint and it would look about exactly the same!). she can also cruise at level flight on about 50-60% throttle, with the stock prop she needed 75+% to cruise.

i still can't get her to do a loop though i do still have a 1.4gram weight under the cowl to correct CG. i don't think i can go any lower without making her tail-heavy. i may try to cut into the cowl so i can move the battery forward next. that should allow me to remove or at least lower the cowl weight.
Which method for the adapter? I didn't think my tail was that heavy (no repair so far -- knock on wood). I use the GWS cone type and it is about right with hyp or the fancy english miniaviation. With either 5030 or 5043, mine can loop at level flight. We have about the same cruise setting so should be close. I am not talking about a HUGE scale loop or any thing but a normal loop / stall turn is OK.
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Blade MCP X - owner's thread rchelijc Micro Helis 13062 Sep 19, 2014 11:12 AM
Discussion Parkzone vs.BlitzRCWorks F4U Corsair (which one) wjohnson1186 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 21 Nov 05, 2012 02:55 PM
Discussion Parkzone f4u corsair VS Airfield f4u corsair Hoopsta17_99 Electric Warbirds 54 Mar 16, 2012 09:11 PM
Discussion Difference between Parkzone's different Ultra Micro planes? bunger Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 21 Jul 10, 2011 04:32 PM
New Product New Ultra Micro F4U Corsair BNF by ParkZone P-51C Micro Ready-to-Fly 3 Feb 23, 2011 11:27 AM