HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
you can buy just the gears from eBay the part number is eflh1068
Thanks apothecarion. I was looking for that last week.

Do you have any pictures or video showing how to replace that gear? That would be super helpful!
random13 is offline Find More Posts by random13
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined May 2011
1 Posts
Yesterday was one of the worse days I have had a long tong tody a long time. First off wreck the Beast, then I fly it in two different tree's, then I I woke the broke wings, then I glued up the servo's back on the word with 30 minute epoxy, locked up one of the servo's with glued. Then I hold up the battery uop battery. Then I stepped on the plane. Don't think of gotten worse!!!. Ended up saying NO to Dayton Wingmasters to send what planes were left.
twisterwrench52 is offline Find More Posts by twisterwrench52
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:49 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,202 Posts
Afraidtoregister .... same here, I think I'll be looking into how to cover them too

apothecarion.... that's great info, thanks for the linky!! I am wondering the same thing as random13, I tried to get that gear off but was afraid to exert any more force than I already was on it in fear of breaking (or bending) the shaft... any ideas?
HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
I just grabbed my broken ones with pliers an yanked and tossed them... the new ones I licked my finger to keep it on there the. pushed it on slow but hard... notice which side to put on... the small gear has a mm ish size smooth part that will go toward the motor, the large gear has a small raised pars that will face the servo mech.. I suggest putting the small one on first and the large on second...
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
you won't bend the shaft as long as you pull straight out. I've replaced these about 6 times on an msr and once on a champ, I bound the gears with glue on accident... soaked the one I glued in acetone and it looks good under a microscope
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:59 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,202 Posts
well I'll be daaaanged, it came off!!

I just wasn't sure on how hard to pull... sooo, I guess I'm ordering some of those little gears and looking into how to best protect the servo from future scrape-age. HHmm... I think I might even have a old broken or burned up micro servo from something like the P51 laying amongst all my junk, I think I tossed it though... but I wonder if the nylon gear I need is the same size if I find it...?

oh, so I normally have the LG off and am belly landing out in the grass, of course that's not an issue... it's the concrete and asphalt that could potentially take its toll like it did yesterday

thanks for the tips & advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apothecarion View Post
I just grabbed my broken ones with pliers an yanked and tossed them... the new ones I licked my finger to keep it on there the. pushed it on slow but hard... notice which side to put on... the small gear has a mm ish size smooth part that will go toward the motor, the large gear has a small raised pars that will face the servo mech.. I suggest putting the small one on first and the large on second...
HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:11 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
The landing gear definitely slows the F4U down a lot. So I belly-land in grass only, but immediately made clear plastic covers for each wing ail by cutting the domes off a blister pack that housed my 3-pack of Aleene's Tacky Glue.

For 3 flights now, my Corsair has made a horrific screaming sound @ about 1/2 way through a lipo pack. I have had her apart twice now. This time, I removed the motor and gear box. I can't find a problem, except for the fact that the pinion gear and driveshaft gear seem to get stuck in spots while turning it by hand. However, if I apply pressure to the driveshaft housing, the resistance stops.
When bench-testing, I can't get it to replicate the screeching sound. So I don't want to re-install a problem.

The gear box is not cracked anywhere. The motor seems very strong and all the gears are straight (checked by my hobby-grade magnifying glass).

I suppose I should just change out the motor anyway, just to be safe. Considering that it easily has 60+ flights logged. It should come out and become a back-up motor for my Champ.

Oh, woe is me! The only replacement motor I have is a Nine Eagles Bravo SX monster! With the 5043, this plane will be faster than a speeding bullet!
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
114 Posts
Close one...

I was out at a nearby school flying the other evening. They have one of those 1-story mobile-home-style outbuildings near the soccer field where I fly.

As I have mentioned, I still have a sticky elevator servo that occasionally acts up and refuses to serve.

Flying towards the building, the elevator stops working. I have about a second to decide if I want to add throttle and try to save it, but risk crashing on to the roof, or cut the throttle and definitely crash in to the side of the building.

It's amazing how quickly the brain works in these situations.... I knew I could repair whatever might happen in the crash. I wasn't sure I'd be able to get the plane off the roof.

I cut the throttle and crashed in to the side of the building about 1 foot below the roof line (and about 2 feet to the right of a window )

Another crack in the wing, and this time broke the vertical stabilizer right off. But at least I could just pick it up off the ground, dust it off, and head back to the shop for repair time.
random13 is offline Find More Posts by random13
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:49 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Dang!

I took the entire gear box out, put-in a new gear and driveshaft and a Bravo SX motor.
It takes awhile to properly "break-in" the SX, but I did notice some extra speed on her maiden. But suddenly she started screaming again.

Yep, just like my Champ's Solo Pro install - those maiden flights get HOT and the gear box cracked under the heat and stress of the faster flight.

I have opened-up the Corsair's nose a bit to ensure better cooling so this wouldn't happen, but I guess it wasn't enough.

New gb on order.... probably have to mothball the Corsair 'til Wed.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,037 Posts
Finally got my F4U flying much better with the Hyperion 240mAh added for weight in the nose. Have the cowl slightly notched to get it a 1/8" or so farther forward than the battery slot. Handles much better now and nice long flight times.

PARKZONED - UM F4U (4 min 36 sec)
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:24 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Finally got my F4U flying much better with the Hyperion 240mAh added for weight in the nose. Have the cowl slightly notched to get it a 1/8" or so farther forward than the battery slot. Handles much better now and nice long flight times.
Nice flying. It looks really stable. This is the best video I have seen of it so far - lots of close up of the plane and it is easy to see what it is doing.

Thanks
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:50 AM
United States, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2011
44 Posts
the video is nice. one thing is the foggy background provides a good backdrop so the plane stands out. seeing a tiny plane against the bright blue sky doesnt make for good videos. anyway. yes servo covers are very much need imo. the first flight with ours and the little servo gear got bent a little. was an easy fix, but still. made them from a 2 liter bottle.
thejanitor86 is offline Find More Posts by thejanitor86
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:05 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,037 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Recording in fog isn't really a planned part however, I take what weather I can get when there is no wind :-)

I run servo covers on mine as well. Simplest and easiest I have found are the plastic rollers for pennys. They are the perfect size and shape and make of light clear plastic. I posted this some time ago with the details:

Some pics of the coin wrapper covers cut and taped on.

flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:45 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Hey where did you get those? I can only find paper rolls...
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:55 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
the plastic ones ate what you use to stack the coins and slide them into the paper sleeves

check office depot or an equivalent office store