SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
oh if you can hold it till set and let it sit overnight, that would be fine too. I just don't have time to hold it to let it set especially when the wing is in 2 pieces.

here is what I am talking about:

http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...id=146:foamtac

I have no affiliation with them. Just happy I got glue that works and don't eat foam.

once you put a bead on one side, attach it, pull it off reattach pull it off do that like 4 - 5 times, it should get sticky and stringy, now the last time, don't put it back hold both pieces apart for ~5-10 sec then push them together one last time. Hold the pieces together couple of min and it should hold but fragile so put 2 books or boxes next to each other and slide the plane sideways in between with the broken wing up sandwiched between the boxes and let it sit overnight. The goal is not to put any weight on that wing till dry.

less is more with this glue. As long as you see coverage on both sides, that's enough... no need to have it ooze.

hth

here is a test :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=95

hold the foam works too. if you have a craft store near you, that may be the way to go so you don't have to pay shipping
I fixed my broken off wing with this glue! Thanks for the advice, this glue is really great!

Flew through two batteries & The repair was perfect! Flying like a kitty cat now. And you can barely see where irt was repaired 'cause it broke off right at the fuselage. I was about to fly a third battery, but I landed a little hard on the fixed wing after the second battery and it seemed slightly flexible to me - so a put a bit more glue around the seem to sure it up.
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:25 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
I got a 2nd f4u as a backup - yes I am crazy. Anyways, there is definitely build variation from factory. The prop shaft was broken with this one and the bit was left in the 3 blade prop. I put on a spare 5030 (not the 5045 everyone is using) with the nose cone. With stock battery, without the landing gear, it balanced perfectly at 28mm.

The maiden went perfect. I centered all surface mechanically and all it needed was one click down -- this was in 5-10 wind with gusts to about 15.

It is fun to watch it bounce up and down. It did NOT balloon uncontrollably. I did not reprogram for dual aileron but left the stock Y. Zero issues. Even though I was on grass, I was able to bring it in under power to land as if I had gears and on pavement -- reading my previous posts, you know this no small feat for me

With the 5030 and stock battery (eflite), it is just a hair hotter than 3 blade and the orange although detracts from the scale look, but I find it excellent for visibility -- which solves my only one real complaint about this plane.

with the the added nose cone so far ahead of the cowl, no weight is needed for any ~150 type battery. Loops were not a problem as I was use to conserving energy (flying on the wing if you will) and the slightly extra hotness gave me enough room for error and fly on prop if needed. I don't think I would ever go to 5045 since I enjoy the 3 blade performance as is for my style.

For people who thinks that wheels/wheel covers induce too much drag, I think the 5030 may negate any negative impact they may have caused. Since I flew wheels off, I can not conclude this for my self; but the slight hotness of the prop certain makes me think in this direction.

I only got to do 1 and 1/2 packs since the gusts became unpredictable quickly, but overall, I would even say it flew better than mine 1st corsair.

This one is a keeper for sure.
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
I fixed my broken off wing with this glue! Thanks for the advice, this glue is really great!

Flew through two batteries & The repair was perfect! Flying like a kitty cat now. And you can barely see where irt was repaired 'cause it broke off right at the fuselage. I was about to fly a third battery, but I landed a little hard on the fixed wing after the second battery and it seemed slightly flexible to me - so a put a bit more glue around the seem to sure it up.
Glade it worked out for you! Although I have a spare new wing, transferring servos and what not just is not fun for me. I would rather just glue and fly. I just got a 2nd one as backup/spare in case I am grounded due to my stupidity.

I just posted my maiden. Dare I say, it is even better than mine! There is definitely build variation with this bird.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:25 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
Glade it worked out for you! Although I have a spare new wing, transferring servos and what not just is not fun for me. I would rather just glue and fly. I just got a 2nd one as backup/spare in case I am grounded due to my stupidity.

I just posted my maiden. Dare I say, it is even better than mine! There is definitely build variation with this bird.
Did you watch the videos on wing replacement?

I replaced my wing. You have to be very careful not to break the fuselage when removing the original wing. I got mine off ok but it takes time. Removing the servos with the foam attached is not easy. I wound up removing the original foam on the servos and replacing it with some foam I have on hand. Tedious but can be done. I used canopy glue to reattach them and 5 minute epoxy to attach the gear brackets.

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
I hastily removed the electronics from my corsair... this rebuild has been awful fun thanks to that... I always forget that dismantling something 2 weeks before you're going to rebuild it is rather stupid

could anyone perhaps take close ups on the control horns on the rudder, ail, and ele? would be very appreciated!
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Did you watch the videos on wing replacement?

I replaced my wing. You have to be very careful not to break the fuselage when removing the original wing. I got mine off ok but it takes time. Removing the servos with the foam attached is not easy. I wound up removing the original foam on the servos and replacing it with some foam I have on hand. Tedious but can be done. I used canopy glue to reattach them and 5 minute epoxy to attach the gear brackets.

Allan
No. I just did a search and watched both parts. Very enlightening. Gives me more confidence. However, I still think that my glued wing can take more punishment than a new one -- and I won't feel as bad when crashing.

Thanks for the video tip
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
118 Posts
No repairs tonight!

My first no-repair flying session with the Corsair in about a week! Of course I did have to stop before running through all of my batteries. The dark corsair against the dark green trees in the fading light after sunset becomes extremely hard to see. I was able to do a bit of up-high flying against the light blue sky though. Got some more inverted practice in.

The last time I went out and tried a different field. People tend to play softball on the softball fields at my favorite site during the evenings. The nerve! Unfortunately, the other field is way too small for the Corsair and I ended up encountering a chain-link fence

I now have 4 cracks in my wing, all repaired with very sparing applications of 5-minute epoxy. It does not seem to have adversely affected performance at all.

During the last repair I noticed that one of the ailerons was coming loose. Makes more sense now why it would no longer roll to the left at all. A small strip of clear tape at the end farthest from the control horn and the aileron is much tighter. Now the plane is back to rolling left quite a bit better than it rolls to the right.

I think I'd like to try moving to a closer-in hole on the aileron control horn, but I think I should wait until I get a programmable transmitter. That would make expo on the aileron even more useful, right?

Tonight I started getting the intermittent problem with my elevator servo again. Luckily I was better able to see what was happening this time and back off of the throttle immediately. A few times I was able to just wiggle the stick and get the elevator moving again, but once I needed to push on the pushrod to get it moving again. After that I just sat down and moved the elevator stick back and forth until the elevator moved about a hundred times without sticking. After that I did not have any more trouble.

Is it more likely that there is a problem with the gears on the servo, or that there is some small piece of sand or grit in there rattling around? I was thinking of opening it up again and blowing out the servo with compressed air, or maybe examining the gears with a magnifying glass to see if I can spot the problem.
random13 is offline Find More Posts by random13
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by random13 View Post

Tonight I started getting the intermittent problem with my elevator servo again. Luckily I was better able to see what was happening this time and back off of the throttle immediately. A few times I was able to just wiggle the stick and get the elevator moving again, but once I needed to push on the pushrod to get it moving again. After that I just sat down and moved the elevator stick back and forth until the elevator moved about a hundred times without sticking. After that I did not have any more trouble.

Is it more likely that there is a problem with the gears on the servo, or that there is some small piece of sand or grit in there rattling around? I was thinking of opening it up again and blowing out the servo with compressed air, or maybe examining the gears with a magnifying glass to see if I can spot the problem.
I had a very similar problem with one of my aileron servos at first. I also blew it out with compressed air and I put a little airsoft lube on it ... Airsoft lube is good stuff 'cause it won't have anything that will mess up plastic or rubber ... After that and, like you, lots of use - it hasn't jammed up at all
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:02 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho50ca View Post
Watch going all the way in on linear servos set to 100%. You can get a lockup which isn't fun. Don't push linears beyond 95% if you're on the inner hole. I use 90%.
Yeah, I'll probably back off to 90%. But then go another hole in! MWUAHAHAHA! I'm control hungry.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:43 AM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho50ca View Post
Watch going all the way in on linear servos set to 100%. You can get a lockup which isn't fun. Don't push linears beyond 95% if you're on the inner hole. I use 90%.
I've never heard that before ... I've only heard you can't push them beyond 100%. does this apply only to the aileron servos? Or the ele/rud servos on the main brick too?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:16 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
gggrrrr .... I did a quick test flight to check out a new hat cam idea I had in some "windier than I prolly should" conditions.... did a moderately hard landing buggered up the L side servo (touched the ground/asphalt)... not the entire servo, just the tiny little nylon gear that meshes up to the motor pinion thingamajig, the one (nylon gear) that is on the end of the threaded shaft that moves along inside the servo.

spent an hour with a large desk mounted magnifying glass to even see the prob... used tiny sewing needle to try to fix the boogered tooth...mighta made it worse... cuz it still no worky still

I hate to have to replace the entire servo for that little nylon gear piece... they sell a $10 replacement servo dealio but it looks like ya have to cut the old/original wires and solder off/on the old servo and re-solder on the new one... that may be a bit much for my skills

and of course it's $20 for an entire servo.... grrrrr

any ideas?
HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:24 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
The servo is just 4 screws and 2 solder points I think. I guess I should cover mine before trying to fly over 'crete.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:48 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
you can buy just the gears from eBay the part number is eflh1068 and here is a link. I know 100% for a face these work. buy a bunch cause it will happen again
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=98830634025

link to the site
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
I have mine covered with the plastic depressions from a box of chocolates, may look silly but I was proud of myself