HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:47 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
JS,

Yes, you need to apply some up-elevator during turns to compensate for the loss of lift, due to the bank-angle. This is normal behavior for most planes. However, if the nose wants to drop like a rock during turns, the plane is likely nose-heavy. Also, don't forget about the rudder. Most planes need some rudder to do coordinated turns. When you're comfortable with aileron/elevator turns, try adding some rudder during the turn. You want just enough rudder to make the tail track through the turn. Your turns will now look like full-scale turns!

Joel
OK, glad you brought this up. What in the world is a coordinated turn? How do I know how my tail should track? Why is everyone's eyes better than mine? I can barely make out coming or going with the paint scheme... now, you want me to watch which way my tail track? LOL

At this point, I am happy that A) it turns B) it stays in air

Please school me some knowledge!

Thanks
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
The turn and up elev are on the same stick on the corsair too. You turn with the ailerons, not the rudder. As you advance, you can work on using some rudder with the ailerons, but it isn't required for making a turn. For now, you can ignore the rudder. Do your turns with the right thumb with a little aileron and a little up elevator just like you did with the Champ. You will probably find that a bit less up elevator is required with the 4 channel plane.
Thanks Yes, it required much less up ele compared to champ. my fingers are still trained for the champ.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:07 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
Thanks Yes, it required much less up ele compared to champ. my fingers are still trained for the champ.
i agree: MUCH less. as i said before, i don't sense that i add any up ele at all! although my muscle memory might be such that i am adding just the smallest touch of up ele and i don't even realize it. plus my sticks are set on really soft tension.

in any case it's definitely well less then the Champ needs.
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:09 PM
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraidtoregister View Post
Tried inverted flight. Ughhh. Champ is better at inverted. How do you guys fly inverted? I must need more up elevator, because at max input it was just losing altitude... until it smashed hard.
It could be that you need less up elevator. This plane needs to be flown on the wing, not on the prop.

<rant on>
To many people are learning to fly with over powered planes. These planes can easily loop from level flight, accelerate vertically and hover. Because these planes can do this, many people learn to fly on the prop, without realizing what they are doing. When you flying on the prop, you are getting a large amount of lift from the prop. With these over powered planes, its easy to do, they have the power.

When you learn to fly on the wing, most or all the lift is produced by the wing, none from the prop. If you have an under powered plane, you must fly on the wing. I feel that people should learn to fly with an under powered plane, so that they learn to fly on the wing.

I learned to fly with the parkzone slo v, out of the box. By the time I learned to fly, I had replaced everything except for the stock prop, wing and battery. I did use the upgrade battery for a while, the 7 cell, but I really preferred the 6 cell it came with, and got more of those. Would it climb vertically? No. Would it loop from any situation? No. Could it do an out side loop? hover? No. However, if you built up speed going nice a straight, you could loop from level flight. If you learned how to maintain airspeed, you could fly it inverted. But you had to fly on the wing. (these were all done completely stock)

More people need to fly on the wing...
<\rant off>
I am wondering how many "bad corsairs" are actually corsairs being flown on the prop? My corsair is completely stock, 3 bladed prop and everything. She will do all the stunts in the promo video, as well as inverted flight and some really cool torque rolls. I do fly it on the wing though, and do have to build speed and momentum for hammer heads (which I do at about 85% throttle). But, this little plane is a great flier and very relaxing and fun to fly. Sure, I would like bigger loops, and a little more vertical performance. But, this plane is by no means a dud.
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:30 PM
CV-63/VR-62
New Haven, MI
Joined Aug 2009
497 Posts
Quote:
I have been enjoying and crashing the corsair so often that I am too chicken to maiden the mossie so I haven't use these.
Don't be anxious about flying the Mossy. It's smoother than the Corsair.
Scottmac737 is offline Find More Posts by Scottmac737
Old Jul 11, 2011, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
I treed my baby really bad today :-( I didn't think it was so windy. I was very wrong. Lost control and it went right into a rather tall tree. Took a long time to get out, gave myself a nasty couple blisters. Broke a wing off. Could have been worse I suppose.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:19 PM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
I treed my baby really bad today :-( I didn't think it was so windy. I was very wrong. Lost control and it went right into a rather tall tree. Took a long time to get out, gave myself a nasty couple blisters. Broke a wing off. Could have been worse I suppose.
sorry to hear that! I treed mine several times. I have 2 12 ft 3/4inch water pipe from hardware store with the correct coupler. I glue on one stick. When I need both, I have 24 ft + my height. You can also use thin line wrap on card board; tie the line to a tennis ball or similar, now, you can toss it up to branch and shake it.

I sheared my wing off on both sides multiple times. beacon foam-tac is awesome and holds my punishment

hth
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wab25 View Post
It could be that you need less up elevator. This plane needs to be flown on the wing, not on the prop.

<rant on>
To many people are learning to fly with over powered planes. These planes can easily loop from level flight, accelerate vertically and hover. Because these planes can do this, many people learn to fly on the prop, without realizing what they are doing. When you flying on the prop, you are getting a large amount of lift from the prop. With these over powered planes, its easy to do, they have the power.

When you learn to fly on the wing, most or all the lift is produced by the wing, none from the prop. If you have an under powered plane, you must fly on the wing. I feel that people should learn to fly with an under powered plane, so that they learn to fly on the wing.

I learned to fly with the parkzone slo v, out of the box. By the time I learned to fly, I had replaced everything except for the stock prop, wing and battery. I did use the upgrade battery for a while, the 7 cell, but I really preferred the 6 cell it came with, and got more of those. Would it climb vertically? No. Would it loop from any situation? No. Could it do an out side loop? hover? No. However, if you built up speed going nice a straight, you could loop from level flight. If you learned how to maintain airspeed, you could fly it inverted. But you had to fly on the wing. (these were all done completely stock)

More people need to fly on the wing...
<\rant off>
I am wondering how many "bad corsairs" are actually corsairs being flown on the prop? My corsair is completely stock, 3 bladed prop and everything. She will do all the stunts in the promo video, as well as inverted flight and some really cool torque rolls. I do fly it on the wing though, and do have to build speed and momentum for hammer heads (which I do at about 85% throttle). But, this little plane is a great flier and very relaxing and fun to fly. Sure, I would like bigger loops, and a little more vertical performance. But, this plane is by no means a dud.

I too fly with stock setup except battery. I somewhat agree. I think a beginner needs to fly on somewhat a propy (is that a word?) plane. Much easier to get your self out of trouble and less frustrating to learn to fly on. This one demands smoothness; after reading your explanation, I now know that means fly on wing. If I am smooth, I can loop on level flight; if I am smooth, the plane looks awesome doing low passes and banking it on its side is just so pretty. If I am not smooth, I get punished hard. It is like playing cards, you have to know when to fold - knowing when to ditch and plan for controlled crash is the name of the game with this plane.

At my present skill level, I must humbly disagree on being "relaxing" to fly.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:28 PM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmac737 View Post
Don't be anxious about flying the Mossy. It's smoother than the Corsair.
LOL, you just want to hear my crash/repair stories hehe...

someday I will grow a pair.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:40 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
sorry to hear that! I treed mine several times. I have 2 12 ft 3/4inch water pipe from hardware store with the correct coupler. I glue on one stick. When I need both, I have 24 ft + my height. You can also use thin line wrap on card board; tie the line to a tennis ball or similar, now, you can toss it up to branch and shake it.

I sheared my wing off on both sides multiple times. beacon foam-tac is awesome and holds my punishment

hth
This stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-Hold-Fo...0431149&sr=8-2

I was going to use white gorilla glue, but I'll order this stuff on your suggestion (if it the correct product)
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
This stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-Hold-Fo...0431149&sr=8-2

I was going to use white gorilla glue, but I'll order this stuff on your suggestion (if it the correct product)
oh if you can hold it till set and let it sit overnight, that would be fine too. I just don't have time to hold it to let it set especially when the wing is in 2 pieces.

here is what I am talking about:

http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...id=146:foamtac

I have no affiliation with them. Just happy I got glue that works and don't eat foam.

once you put a bead on one side, attach it, pull it off reattach pull it off do that like 4 - 5 times, it should get sticky and stringy, now the last time, don't put it back hold both pieces apart for ~5-10 sec then push them together one last time. Hold the pieces together couple of min and it should hold but fragile so put 2 books or boxes next to each other and slide the plane sideways in between with the broken wing up sandwiched between the boxes and let it sit overnight. The goal is not to put any weight on that wing till dry.

less is more with this glue. As long as you see coverage on both sides, that's enough... no need to have it ooze.

hth

here is a test :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=95

hold the foam works too. if you have a craft store near you, that may be the way to go so you don't have to pay shipping
Last edited by jseeker101; Jul 11, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:40 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
oh if you can hold it till set and let it sit overnight, that would be fine too. I just don't have time to hold it to let it set especially when the wing is in 2 pieces.

here is what I am talking about:

http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...id=146:foamtac

I have no affiliation with them. Just happy I got glue that works and don't eat foam.

once you put a bead on one side, attach it, pull it off reattach pull it off do that like 4 - 5 times, it should get sticky and stringy, now the last time, don't put it back hold both pieces apart for ~5-10 sec then push them together one last time. Hold the pieces together couple of min and it should hold but fragile so put 2 books or boxes next to each other and slide the plane sideways in between with the broken wing up sandwiched between the boxes and let it sit overnight. The goal is not to put any weight on that wing till dry.

less is more with this glue. As long as you see coverage on both sides, that's enough... no need to have it ooze.

hth

here is a test :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=95

hold the foam works too. if you have a craft store near you, that may be the way to go so you don't have to pay shipping
Sweet. Order placed. I ordered two bottles, so only $1.50 shipping per bottle. And I'm sure I'll use it again. And I had some mula in paypal anyway.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:58 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,141 Posts
While I'm not against repairing a broken wing, and I would use 5 minute Bob Smith brand epoxy, a new wingset is $14.00 from HH. After hitting a guy wire and almost breaking the wing off at the fuselage and dinging the leading edge I bought a wingset. You have to remove and reinstall the aileron servos and landing gear brackets. If you decide at a later date to buy wingset be sure to watch the video on the Corsair parts website. Getting the wingset off the fuselage is a trick. It can be done and all went ok for me but the fuselage is really weak at the attachment point and can be broken.

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:04 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
It's a pretty clean break. I think it will glue up nicely.

A couple more crashes and I'm sure I'll need a whole new wing :-/
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
While I'm not against repairing a broken wing, and I would use 5 minute Bob Smith brand epoxy, a new wingset is $14.00 from HH. After hitting a guy wire and almost breaking the wing off at the fuselage and dinging the leading edge I bought a wingset. You have to remove and reinstall the aileron servos and landing gear brackets. If you decide at a later date to buy wingset be sure to watch the video on the Corsair parts website. Getting the wingset off the fuselage is a trick. It can be done and all went ok for me but the fuselage is really weak at the attachment point and can be broken.

Allan
Which Bob Smith do you like?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+epoxy&x=0&y=0

I already ordered the glue listed above, but in my experience - can't have too many glues around the house