HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:33 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
I should say, too, that I'm not looking for 3D insane stunts from this plane ... It's a warbird and I think it performs well for a warbird!

It looks so darn good I'm pretty happy it flies at all, hehehe

At some point I want to get the new Pole Cat for something more acrobatic and exciting to fly.
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:57 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Try a dime.
.35g might be the difference in the performance.
Mine will loop with a 2.2g dime but feels heavy with a 2.55g penny.

I had one in my T-28 - which only became tail heavy after I repainted the entire plane NAVY yellow. I glued a 1.9g hex nut inside the nose and she balanced out fine.

So if you're ever inside the Corsair and want to rid that unsightly dime from the cowl, just put a 5-6mm hex (or US 7/16") inside the lower nose and you might see better performance with slightly less nose weight.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Try a dime.
.35g might be the difference in the performance.
Mine will loop with a 2.2g dime but feels heavy with a 2.55g penny.

I had one in my T-28 - which only became tail heavy after I repainted the entire plane NAVY yellow. I glued a 1.9g hex nut inside the nose and she balanced out fine.

So if you're ever inside the Corsair and want to rid that unsightly dime from the cowl, just put a 5-6mm hex (or US 7/16") inside the lower nose and you might see better performance with slightly less nose weight.
Thanks for the tip! I'll replace the penny with a dime to start and see how that goes ...
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:45 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
Thanks for the tip! I'll replace the penny with a dime to start and see how that goes ...

Mine will loop with both dime and penny. I prefer dime though overall. I find that with the plane, you have to retain as much energy as possible. this means, you have to be as smooth as possible. I fly 1 click above 1/2 with stock setup except with hyp 160. With level flight I can loop - not a huge "scale" one but good enough for me. It really force me to work on being smooth.

I broke left wing again. so it is count 3 on left and 2 right. Glue has already dried and is ready for tonight.
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Finally a flying session with out having to break out the glue Both sides of the wing held well through out cartwheels tonight. Just getting harder to concentrate with all the blood sucking mosquitoes doing round robin attacks on me.

Just glad I don't have to glue tonight.

Question, with aileron turns, when starting the turn, do you have to pull ele? I got trained on the champ that when turning, the turn and up ele is in the same stroke or else the nose drop and I crash.

I am very inconsistent on leveled turns wheres the champ is like a no brainer. I am so afraid to crash (I do end up crashing anyways) that I keep pulling up while banking hoping the nose don't drop when banked.

thanks
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:39 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
Finally a flying session with out having to break out the glue Both sides of the wing held well through out cartwheels tonight. Just getting harder to concentrate with all the blood sucking mosquitoes doing round robin attacks on me.

Question, with aileron turns, when starting the turn, do you have to pull ele? I got trained on the champ that when turning, the turn and up ele is in the same stroke or else the nose drop and I crash.

I am very inconsistent on leveled turns wheres the champ is like a no brainer. I am so afraid to crash (I do end up crashing anyways) that I keep pulling up while banking hoping the nose don't drop when banked.

thanks
I'm also new to ailerons ... BUT - I've found that with a slightly banking turn, when the plane is banked about 30-40 degrees or so, I don't need to use elevator. This is a nice slow turn, probably about a 15-20' radius. If I want to turn more sharply, I use a little touch of elevator.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:46 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,624 Posts
Quote:

thanks
JS,

Yes, you need to apply some up-elevator during turns to compensate for the loss of lift, due to the bank-angle. This is normal behavior for most planes. However, if the nose wants to drop like a rock during turns, the plane is likely nose-heavy. Also, don't forget about the rudder. Most planes need some rudder to do coordinated turns. When you're comfortable with aileron/elevator turns, try adding some rudder during the turn. You want just enough rudder to make the tail track through the turn. Your turns will now look like full-scale turns!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,858 Posts
Quote:

thanks
The turn and up elev are on the same stick on the corsair too. You turn with the ailerons, not the rudder. As you advance, you can work on using some rudder with the ailerons, but it isn't required for making a turn. For now, you can ignore the rudder. Do your turns with the right thumb with a little aileron and a little up elevator just like you did with the Champ. You will probably find that a bit less up elevator is required with the 4 channel plane.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:56 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Tried inverted flight. Ughhh. Champ is better at inverted. How do you guys fly inverted? I must need more up elevator, because at max input it was just losing altitude... until it smashed hard.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:12 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraidtoregister View Post
Tried inverted flight. Ughhh. Champ is better at inverted. How do you guys fly inverted? I must need more up elevator, because at max input it was just losing altitude... until it smashed hard.
ATR,

Which hole is the elevator pushrod in? Are you using nose-weight to compensate for a tail-heavy condition, and if so - how much weight? Also, what prop & battery are you using? Reason I'm asking is that the F4U needs a fair amount of speed to fly inverted reasonably well, and inverted flight is usually more difficult when the CG is too far forward.

That said, the UM F4U is just not very happy when flying inverted. The T-28, P-51, and Mossie are better inverted flyers, in my opinion.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:23 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:

thanks
When you bank you lose lift. If you ever flew a full sized airplane that was trimmed level you would know it is an axiom. Some of your lift is used to pull into the circle. If you don't have to pull up a bit then it is not trimmed for level flight. In a 45 degree bank you are pull aroud 4 Gs. Can't do that without more lift. If you add power during a turn and accelerate you will hav more lift but will balloon when you recover.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:41 AM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Adjusting CG is part of the hobby, adding 2 grams to on something this small because you cannot move the battery far enough forward to attain the correct CG as per instructions is clearly a rip off, BNF is Bind and Fly, it says so clearly on every BNF box I have bought from them (10 BNF, 3 RTF). Why should I accept this kind of crap ? You may be happy to accept being ripped off, thats your problem and HH is happy to have you as a customer, but I prefer to break fingers if someone puts thier hand in my pocket, has something to do with self respect. It's not like HH don't read these forums and don't know there is a problem, they just dont respect the end user. Make them respect you, improve thier standards, if they rip you off, dont let them get away with it or they will continue to do so.
Silvaa is offline Find More Posts by Silvaa
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
hh has far more of your money than mine. and I am happy with how it flies even out of the box, but if for better performance adding weight to the nose is required I'll do it cause in bot just going to pout and whine about how it should have just been that way. I'm going to shut up as fly. like you should do
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:41 PM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvaa View Post
Adjusting CG is part of the hobby, adding 2 grams to on something this small because you cannot move the battery far enough forward to attain the correct CG as per instructions is clearly a rip off, BNF is Bind and Fly, it says so clearly on every BNF box I have bought from them (10 BNF, 3 RTF). Why should I accept this kind of crap ? You may be happy to accept being ripped off, thats your problem and HH is happy to have you as a customer, but I prefer to break fingers if someone puts thier hand in my pocket, has something to do with self respect. It's not like HH don't read these forums and don't know there is a problem, they just dont respect the end user. Make them respect you, improve thier standards, if they rip you off, dont let them get away with it or they will continue to do so.
LOL. you should read the side of the box. The 3 steps they gave is just hilarious.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
When you bank you lose lift. If you ever flew a full sized airplane that was trimmed level you would know it is an axiom. Some of your lift is used to pull into the circle. If you don't have to pull up a bit then it is not trimmed for level flight. In a 45 degree bank you are pull aroud 4 Gs. Can't do that without more lift. If you add power during a turn and accelerate you will hav more lift but will balloon when you recover.
Thanks. I would love to be able to fly a full size airplane to test out the axiom my self

It is trimmed for level flight. You are correct. It makes sense. I am just not smooth with controls.