HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:18 PM
Joined Jul 2006
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausf View Post
When I try it on the model itself, all mixes and control work as they should, but when I hit the flaps, the right drops and the left raises. I can't figure out how to reverse it independently or if it's even possible.

Any ideas?
You must change the brick mode.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Last edited by microheli; Jun 29, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Absolutely brilliant Microheli!

Worked like a charm. I had to reverse both the gear (5) and flap (6) channels to get it sorted out, but it's a beautiful thing.

I owe you a pint.

Now with flaps, which way and how much?

I thought down @ 50% would be a good start, but I think I read (maybe in this thread) that down flaps aren't good on this bird. My goal would be to just slow it down a bit, although I remember watching Baa Baa Black Sheep as a kid when Boyington would drop flaps to fool the pursuing Zero into overshooting.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Jun 30, 2011, 02:48 AM
United States, FL, St Augustine
Joined Jun 2011
44 Posts
yes spoilerons are better for a plane like this.
thejanitor86 is offline Find More Posts by thejanitor86
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:28 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,741 Posts
FYI
The Horizon Hobby web site says the elevator should be set on the outside hole of the control horn, not the second hole as shipped from the factory. I have heard comments about the difficulty of trimming the Corsair and the "twitchy" pitch control. I moved my son's and I still have very good pitch response with much better fine control.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:58 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
FYI
The Horizon Hobby web site says the elevator should be set on the outside hole of the control horn, not the second hole as shipped from the factory. I have heard comments about the difficulty of trimming the Corsair and the "twitchy" pitch control. I moved my son's and I still have very good pitch response with much better fine control.
Rick,

Regarding the F4U - the pitch-sensitivity is not caused by excessive elevator throw. The root-cause is CG placement. It has been well-established that most of the UM F4Us are a bit tail-heavy with a stock-weight cell at the front of the slot. The aft CG is solely responsible for the pitch-sensitivity. Correct the CG problem - don't put a Band-Aid on it. Besides - you need at least enough elevator authority to do a full-flare dead-stick landing, and that requires a fair amount of throw.

Either use a heavier, more powerful battery (such as a Hyperion 180 or 240 mAh cell), or add some nose-weight. Of course, if one must add ballast to balance an airframe, it is nearly always more desirable to add useful weight than to add dead-weight. A heavier, more powerful, battery is the best choice.

There really isn't a "should" when it comes to control throws. It largely depends upon the transmitter, aircraft speed, and the skill of the pilot. With a low-resolution tx, and/or one that doesn't have expo, shorter throws are a good idea for inexperienced pilots. With a decent tx that has 1024-step resolution & expo/dual-rates, one can set up for more throw without making it touchy on the sticks. Inexperienced pilots & those who aren't used to the quick response of a UM ship may want less throw and/or more expo. Also - planes that are propped for speed typically use shorter throws.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2011
1,741 Posts
All this is true. It was a more stable A/C with the change. I don't have an expo TX and I have heard comments from very competent and experienced pilots. I will gat some heavier batteries and move the CG up a bit.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined May 2011
1,741 Posts
CG Trivia.
Aside from the stability factor, most experienced pilots prefer a CG as far forward as safety allows. One year in Miami near Christmas an airplane, 707 I think, with a full load of Christmas trees on board for somewhere in CA or SA overran the runway, totally unable to lift due to a shifted payload or one improperly loaded. Burned up good. They do this for a reason. I learned this in college in an aerodynamics class. No licensed pilot answers allowed.
Any takers?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:59 PM
Joined May 2011
1,741 Posts
By the way, what is the best CG for a new Corsair flyer?
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:02 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Ohhhh heyyyy, turns out the Corsair isn't complete junk. It was just tail heavy! I put a dime under the nose and it flies LIKE A PLANE. I didn't think it could do it. Well that's cool.

Neat plane.

Still getting its bigger brother though.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:09 AM
Joined May 2011
1,741 Posts
No answers on the CG trivia question?
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:33 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Quote:
No answers on the CG trivia question?
PROBABLE CAUSE: "Over rotation of the aircraft at lift-off resulting in flight in the aerodynamic region of reversed command, near the stall regime, and at too low an altitude to effect recovery. The reasons for the aircraft's entering this adverse flight condition could not be determined. Factors which may have contributed to the accident include: (a) improper cargo loading; (b) a rearward movement of unsecured cargo resulting in a shift of the center of gravity aft of the allowable limit and (c) deficient crew coordination."

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=19731215-1
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:29 AM
Joined Jul 2006
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausf View Post
Now with flaps, which way and how much?

I thought down @ 50% would be a good start, but I think I read (maybe in this thread) that down flaps aren't good on this bird. My goal would be to just slow it down a bit, although I remember watching Baa Baa Black Sheep as a kid when Boyington would drop flaps to fool the pursuing Zero into overshooting.
You can try both, flaps and spoilerons but i think the plane with the uncambrered wing glide very good without and there is no significant speed decrease possible. But flaps increase the drag and the sinkrate and make shorter approaches possible. However stall characteristic with flaps is a little more difficult.
Quote:
By the way, what is the best CG for a new Corsair flyer?
The manual setting of 28mm is not bad.
Mine fly fine also with after CG.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1437521
Other reported bad flying characteristic with after CG.
You need a bigger battery for 28mm CG if you won't add dead weight to the plane.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
Little Corsair was the first micro I ever bought (about 1 month ago) because of the looks. I love Corsairs and built a Top Flight gasser several years ago that I flew for 2 seasons before selling it. When I got this little one home I grabbed about 6 150mah packs (from my MSR battery collection), set up DX6i, and headed for the local church lot down the street. Checked all the controls but did I check the CG - no ! I always check this on my bigger planes but not on this little guy. Took off, and I could tell it was tail heavy right away. Way touchy elevator and it seemed to just have OK power but not great. Read about this here maybe being a problem so a quick fix was to add a dime with some tape to move CG forward and it flew much better but not fast. E- batteries ok for MSR but lack punch. Definately going with Hypo 180s and a 5043 prop but I still love the way it looks on a fly by. BAA BAA Black Sheep !! Flying a Beast mostly now and just got a Sbach yesterday but I will not give up on this little guy.
nickimde is offline Find More Posts by nickimde
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined May 2011
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
PROBABLE CAUSE: "Over rotation of the aircraft at lift-off resulting in flight in the aerodynamic region of reversed command, near the stall regime, and at too low an altitude to effect recovery. The reasons for the aircraft's entering this adverse flight condition could not be determined. Factors which may have contributed to the accident include: (a) improper cargo loading; (b) a rearward movement of unsecured cargo resulting in a shift of the center of gravity aft of the allowable limit and (c) deficient crew coordination."

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=19731215-1
Trivia question was why load forward? When you have an aft CG your elevator deflects downward creating a lifting surface, inducing drag. When CG is forward and the elevator is deflecting upward it spoils lift reducing drag. They load forward to reduce drag and save fuel.
I remember a forward CG accident too. I do remember that Connie too. Long ago and TMB (too many birthdays}
Old Jul 01, 2011, 04:47 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Okay, I think I'm almost set here.

I ordered:
5 Hyperion 240s (without the connectors) and shrink wrap.
20 micro extenders (male and female connectors) to wire them up as well as a few 150s that ejected the male ends.
A whole lot of different thicknesses of sheet styrene (.005 up to .040) to vacu-form servo covers.

I have some really thin carbon fiber rod I'm going to add to the leading edges (works great of the T-28) and will reinforce to wing roots.

By the time I get all this in and ready, I'll have a few more sessions with the T-28 on the DX6i, so I should be good to go.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf