HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Mar 2011
103 Posts
Battery conectors

Three weeks of wind then sunday no wind off to the park I go beast in tow , put in a 180 Hyp do a preflight off I go, get trimmed flying around having a blast friend pulls up wants to fly (plane in storage) so here take the sticks so he starts burning holes in the sky after landing load up new battery back into the sky goes up for a inverted flat spin and down she goes from around 40 feet rolling straight into street, went over pick up the carnage and there goes the beeping ,come to find out one of the wires got pushed so far you could only see about 1/16 th of it. couldn't fly too many broken parts to fix at the park so back to the shop . got her back together ,now back to the waiting (no wind) game anywho keep your pants on and your nose out of the dirtSorry wrong thread
Wayne on Maui is offline Find More Posts by Wayne on Maui
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2011, 06:59 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
I haven't noticed a difference in the way the model fly's with the canopy open.
Using the stock canopy (closed) is the easiest way to add the cockpit details because it is pre cut and already color matched.
Since I make the canopies with a slightly thicker material you will save some weight as well.
The reason I put the thicker canopy in the kit is to provide an open canopy option or at least a spare.
Got my kit today, thanks!

do you have assembly instructions anywhere?

Also, what kind of glue do you recommend?
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jun 08, 2011, 09:02 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Right now is your golden opportunity to test/try Sky Lipos. I've heard good reports thus far about them AND....

...Nitroplane is selling the 210, 250 300 and 350mAh all for $2 each!
That's right: 2 bucks!

I am going to buy a few of each in order to try 'em out.

Here's the link for this sale: http://www.hobbypartz.com/rcbatterysales.html

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jun 09, 2011, 09:28 AM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
Too tempting! Might have to get a couple of them, see if they really make a difference.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:21 AM
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Regardless of prop choice, the Hyp 180 or 240 will increase thrust & top speed. They will also allow you to get the CG right without adding dead-weight (especially the Hyp 240). The big deal is that the Hyp cells can be charged @ 5c for 300-400 cycles with no loss in performance. The Eflite 500 is pig-heavy, and it will be shot after 50-100 cycles - just like the other Eflite & PZ UM cells. It will increase flight-time, but it will reduce performance as compared to the Hyp 240 cell. You surely don't want to add grams of useless weight to a plane that weighs just over an ounce to begin with. If you want more run-time than the Hyp 240 provides, use the Hyp 320. It will blow the Eflite 500 out of the water in terms of performance & longevity.

Do yourself & your pocketbook a favor - get the Hyperions. You will be glad you did.

See my blog threads for detailed info on UM battery test results.

Joel
So, right now, with the stock setup, I get about 5-6 minutes of flying time. I am hoping to add a bit of flying time, and a bit of power. TP and Hyp both offer a 160 mah that just drops right in. Hyp also offers a 180 and a 240, that require foam to be cut out. What I am trying to get at, is why go for the 180 or the 240 instead of the 160? One reason is that it can help with the CG. My CG is correct, so that is not an issue. There is one guy claiming 30 minutes flight time on a 500. So, I am guessing that the recommended 160, 180 and 240 will give flight times between 5 min and 30 minutes. But, if the difference between the 160 and the 240 is 30 seconds, I'll do the 160 and not cut the foam. Does someone have flight times for the 160, 180 or the 240?
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:33 AM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
My 160s last around 7-8 minutes, but I never go all the way to LVC. They probably last around 10 minutes if you're not full throttle all the time.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:26 PM
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeM View Post
My 160s last around 7-8 minutes, but I never go all the way to LVC. They probably last around 10 minutes if you're not full throttle all the time.
Is there any increase in thrust with the 160s? Anyway, thanks for the times! I am leaning towards 160s unless someone has some substantially better times for one of the other batteries.
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:46 PM
STO
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
495 Posts
Aircraft Carrier for F4U?

So my lovely wife surprised me last night with an early Father's Day gift. Yup, that's why I'm here in this thread. I already had a DSM2 transmitter for my MsR so that's what I'm using. Weather has turned ugly so won't get to maiden for a few days with winds and rain kicking up.

I know you can take off the landing gear for flying at grass fields, which is what I have, but I like the idea of a nice ROG. This got me thinking of maybe bringing out a piece of plywood etc to use as a small landing strip at the grass field. Then the idea struck me - why just a strip of wood? What about making something that would resemble the flight deck of an aircraft carrier?

How cool would that be to have this at the field along with the plane. I know it wouldn't be true scale but that's why I qualified with "resemble"....it will have the overall shape of a carrier deck with a conning tower on the one side and maybe even a few flight crew with flags and of course runway markings. It would sit just a few inches from the ground so it looks like the hull is mostly "submerged" somewhere in the South Pacific. Since these planes, from what I have seen, don't take much room for take off, I will make the overall length just long enough to fit in my PT and the width maybe 2 feet give or take. Then paint the structure battle grey or whatever the colour should be...oh yeah a wind sock as well.

Anyways if I do this project I'll post pics. God I love this hobby.
STO is offline Find More Posts by STO
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:15 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wab25 View Post
Is there any increase in thrust with the 160s? Anyway, thanks for the times! I am leaning towards 160s unless someone has some substantially better times for one of the other batteries.
The 160's provide considerable performance gains over the e-flite batts. I usually bring mine down after 6 minutes. Flew this am with a 240 and ran for 10 minutes. I have all three and like the 180's and 240's for the corsair the best. And they are cheaper than the 160's. From allerc.com the 160's are 7.95, 180's 5.95 and 240's 6.45 when in stock.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:10 PM
Joined Jul 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wab25 View Post
Hyp also offers a 180 and a 240, that require foam to be cut out.
You need not cut the foam with such mount:
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:00 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
Went out and flew again and man is this thing tail heavy. Need to remember to add a small amount of weight next time. Anyone else have the landing gear mount come off? Nothing ripped or broke, it just became un-glued.
FlyFisch is offline Find More Posts by FlyFisch
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:16 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisch View Post
Went out and flew again and man is this thing tail heavy. Need to remember to add a small amount of weight next time. Anyone else have the landing gear mount come off? Nothing ripped or broke, it just became un-glued.
that happened to my gear on a hard landing in short grass
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:46 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,799 Posts
Guys,

All this talk about LVC....

Remember that you are not supposed to discharge LiPos beyond 80%. Doing so reduces their performance and dramatically shortens their lifespan. Over-discharge is the quickest way to damage a LiPo, and it is the #1 type of damage seen by the manufactures when people send in "defective" cells & packs.

With any of the UM planes & helis, you are discharging the cells to ~90-95% if you fly to SLVC (motor-pulsing). If you do this very often, it will kill your cells in short order. This is true for all LiPos - regardless of who manufactured them.

BTW - measuring cell voltage after a flight doesn't work. Unloaded cell voltage doesn't tell you anything about the state-of-charge. The only accurate way to measure depth-of-discharge is to charge the cells on a charger that displays charge data. What matters is how many mAh it took to reach full charge.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:08 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisch View Post
You can add extra battery weight,or you can add a little nose weight. A Dime weighs 2.2 grams. I cut a tiny slot into the half-moon shaped front end of the battery trough and slid the dime halfway in.
Then a put a dab of white glue (Aleene's Tacky Glue) on the dime to keep it there.
Joel and I disagree (sorta) on this, but he is right about adding "useful weight" versus my "dead weight", but I'm happy -- he's happy...and, gosh darn it, we're all happy!

Anyway, here's my dime mod:
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jun 10, 2011, 08:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
You can add extra battery weight,or you can add a little nose weight. A Dime weighs 2.2 grams. I cut a tiny slot into the half-moon shaped front end of the battery trough and slid the dime halfway in.
Then a put a dab of white glue (Aleene's Tacky Glue) on the dime to keep it there.
Joel and I disagree (sorta) on this, but he is right about adding "useful weight" versus my "dead weight", but I'm happy -- he's happy...and, gosh darn it, we're all happy!

Anyway, here's my dime mod:
Cool vid. It sure does fly nice when the CG is correct. Mine was tail heavy and was so hard to fly that it came in hard and messed up one of the wing servos. I had made covers for them but hadn't put them on. I fixed the servo and adjusted the CG and am waiting for a nice day to fly it. I live a little north of you in Brevard County and it's been windy the last few days. I'm hoping that it'll be nice Sunday and Monday.
tenspeed is offline Find More Posts by tenspeed