HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:04 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
MORNING DOGFIGHT
]By Maladroit

This morning, my Corsair had quite a run-in with 3 black birds who decided they wanted to bully the little plane.

They had no idea what they were in-for, since I was only zooming her @ about 1/2 throttle and doin' the low n' slow.

As they attacked, I kicked-up the stick to WOT and turned hard -- right back at 'em. Within seconds, it looked like a real dogfight up there with the F4U spinning and swirling and those birds either attacking, or on-the-run.

Whenever I singled one of them out and started chasing it, the other two would run after the Corsair. Sometimes, I'd turn right back at them and they'd scatter fast. But they always turned and came back after me again. (Well, not really "me" but the Corsair that I was piloting, so I 'spose it was kind of "me," huh?)

I swear they were just harassing me and the Corsair because a few times they were poised to strike when the Corsair stalled - nose-upward - but they held back and just gave chase again as the plane shot downward. They blew a golden opportunity to rip the Corsair to shreds.

Nonetheless, I think they finally realized they were losing this dogfight because they all took off together. I was getting a bit low on battery time, but I gave chase one more time and they scattered in three directions.

Too funny!

After changing out the lipo and relaunching the F4U, I saw all three birds again, but this time they were sitting on a power line that overlooks the field. They just watched closely as I flew by them several times.

I suppose they either decided against another attack, or were just plum worn-out.

No birds -- or Parkzone products -- were harmed in the making of this true story.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 03:05 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
that's awesome.

a red-tailed hawk took a REAL CLOSE look at one of my full-size planes (40" wingspan or so) from a nearby tree when i was flying in a soccer field once ... it gave a half-hearted dive-bomb at one point after i crash-landed
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:07 AM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
I've had many a dogfight with local fauna. Seagulls, crows, geese, with even my larger ships. However, I'd say off-leash dogs are the real mortal enemy of UM planes, lol
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:49 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,596 Posts
I haven't noticed a difference in the way the model fly's with the canopy open.
Using the stock canopy (closed) is the easiest way to add the cockpit details because it is pre cut and already color matched.
Since I make the canopies with a slightly thicker material you will save some weight as well.
The reason I put the thicker canopy in the kit is to provide an open canopy option or at least a spare.
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:48 PM
keep on spinning!
Fort Lauderdale,Florida USA
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
Mac's bird story

Too awesome about those birds! I saw a video awhile back where some 'maggies' magpies I think were chasing these Australian guys T-28s around their local park. I'm in Illinois for the summer (Horizon) country and hope to have a few bird stories of my own. Checked my Su-26xp in the plane (check in) after reinforcing the box no worries. Ft. Laud to midway..Still flys true. J Tks South West.
N212LA is offline Find More Posts by N212LA
Old Jun 07, 2011, 02:07 PM
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHF16 View Post
BTW.. Im using the eflite 500mah battery in the video. I can fly like this for around 30min.
Is that all you did to the plane, swap the battery for the 500 mah? Any chance you have a pic of how you fit the 500 battery in the tray? Where do you get a connector for the battery that fits the plane?
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mespert View Post
Amazing video ! I hope the parts you recommended me for the prop arrives soon !!

Thank you !
Mespert,

Thanks! I enjoy weaving around the trees in my yard. My 'carrier landing' technique could use a bit of polish, though.

With the 5043 & Hyp 180 or 240 cell, she has the power & speed one expects from a WWII air-superiority fighter! That was definitely not the case with the 3-blade prop.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:39 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
I'm the proud new owner of a um corsair. This thing is sweet. Any suggestions? I already bent the little plastic control horns on the one aileron on accident. Simply bent it back, hope it will be ok. I also went ahead and ordered the servo covers from parkflyer plastics.
FlyFisch is offline Find More Posts by FlyFisch
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:40 PM
Joined May 2000
2,039 Posts
Box Stock Impressions

I have a dozen or so batts through it and it's a good little flyer, not as racey as the Mustang, big square loops, snap rolls, and stall turns are nice, inverted is a little "hinky", seems a little heavier than the stang. I may have to go with that batt and prop combo, how do the motors last on that set-up? Looks like they did some nice touches, rods in the tail feathers for rigidity and I like the landing gear strut covers, nice little touches.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:22 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH S View Post
I have a dozen or so batts through it and it's a good little flyer, not as racey as the Mustang, big square loops, snap rolls, and stall turns are nice, inverted is a little "hinky", seems a little heavier than the stang. I may have to go with that batt and prop combo, how do the motors last on that set-up? Looks like they did some nice touches, rods in the tail feathers for rigidity and I like the landing gear strut covers, nice little touches.
Rich,

The F4U uses the P-51/XP/T-28/4-Site motor. Lots of people use the 5043 & Hyp cells in the planes that use the P-51 style motor. The performance increase is considerable. In fact, the combo is so popular, Hyperion's 180 & 240 mAh cells are often temporarily sold-out world-wide. Many of us have been experimenting with these PZ UM ships since the first Sukhoi 26m was released. There is a lot of variability in these 'pager motors'. Power output can vary by 20% between samples. Many of the motors last for hundreds of flights. Some only last for tens of flights. A few fail within the first few flights, on the first flight, or even on first run-up.

The 5043 prop & Hyperion cells do not have a noticeable effect on motor longevity.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2011, 02:16 PM
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
892 Posts
If I want to keep the 3 blade prop, what would I get from switching batteries to the Hyperion 180 or 240? What are the flight times? Would I get a power increase, even with the 3 blade? What about the E-Flight 500?
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25
Old Jun 08, 2011, 03:44 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
Went out and did a quick maiden. It looks awesome, but seems to be... tail heavy? Not sure. It was pretty windy (too windy to be flying, I'll admit). I'll be checking the cg before the next flight for sure.
FlyFisch is offline Find More Posts by FlyFisch
Old Jun 08, 2011, 04:18 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Hubert
Joined May 2011
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wab25 View Post
If I want to keep the 3 blade prop, what would I get from switching batteries to the Hyperion 180 or 240? What are the flight times? Would I get a power increase, even with the 3 blade? What about the E-Flight 500?
That is a good question ! Waiting for answer too !
Mespert is offline Find More Posts by Mespert
Old Jun 08, 2011, 05:07 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisch View Post
Went out and did a quick maiden. It looks awesome, but seems to be... tail heavy? Not sure. It was pretty windy (too windy to be flying, I'll admit). I'll be checking the cg before the next flight for sure.
If you check the posts, you will notice that most of the F4Us are slightly tail-heavy. Simple fix: Use a Hyperion 180 or 240 mAh cell. Problem solved - with an increase in performance.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2011, 05:14 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wab25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mespert View Post
That is a good question ! Waiting for answer too !
Regardless of prop choice, the Hyp 180 or 240 will increase thrust & top speed. They will also allow you to get the CG right without adding dead-weight (especially the Hyp 240). The big deal is that the Hyp cells can be charged @ 5c for 300-400 cycles with no loss in performance. The Eflite 500 is pig-heavy, and it will be shot after 50-100 cycles - just like the other Eflite & PZ UM cells. It will increase flight-time, but it will reduce performance as compared to the Hyp 240 cell. You surely don't want to add grams of useless weight to a plane that weighs just over an ounce to begin with. If you want more run-time than the Hyp 240 provides, use the Hyp 320. It will blow the Eflite 500 out of the water in terms of performance & longevity.

Do yourself & your pocketbook a favor - get the Hyperions. You will be glad you did.

See my blog threads for detailed info on UM battery test results.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 08, 2011 at 05:19 PM.