HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2011, 01:08 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Just glue the wing back on. That's not enough to stop the Corsair. Champ straight to the Corsair - that's quite a jump. Put a um T28 in the middle. Warm up on the Champ, step up on the T28, then fly the Corsair.
When I started flying the champ inverted, I realized it might be time to move on.

But I don't see myself ever being done with it. It's too laid-back to abandon. You can really screw around with the thing without harming it. Except that servo!
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2011, 01:34 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Flew my champ and corsair this morning before the winds kicked up. Broke the wing and prop shaft on my corsair a few weeks ago and after 10 days in Hawaii finally got her put back together. Took a while to get her trimmed mechanically, but was worth the effort. She flew great

Just got the champ yesterday. The little guy is my 7th plane and is a joy to fly. To windy this evening but he's in the boot ready for tomorrow am.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old May 27, 2011, 09:42 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Just glue the wing back on. That's not enough to stop the Corsair. Champ straight to the Corsair - that's quite a jump. Put a um T28 in the middle. Warm up on the Champ, step up on the T28, then fly the Corsair.
+1 Absolutely.
If I hadn't gone to the T-28 first, my Corsair would already be a smashed-up chunk of foam with an oz. of glue and 3-feet on tape on the outside and some malfunctioning servos on the inside.

But...I also must admit that as much as I loathed the "look" of the T-28, after flying it, fixing it and then seeing the real deal in flight at a military air show, I fell in love with them.
Now the UM T-28 is my favorite plane outa the nine I currently own. I enjoy it more than my Corsair, although the Corsair comes close...the P-51 is too squirrelly, the Champ is, well...The Champ and we all love that lil' feller....
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old May 27, 2011, 11:50 AM
Joined Jul 2006
700 Posts
Quote:
Can some of you check out your Corsair and see if the motor is pointing down and right as is typical with T28 and most um planes?
Photos from mine:
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old May 27, 2011, 01:28 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Photos from mine:
Yes, mine looks like yours.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old May 27, 2011, 06:22 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Photos from mine:
Interesting. I gave up on a good answer like you just furnished and went to some friends house that have corsairs and checked them out. Mine and theirs did not have nearly as much down as yours does. I have already glued the new gearbox in based on the two I checked out and my memory and how the pads set on mine. Having seen yours, I might have added some more down to it.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 27, 2011, 08:57 PM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
937 Posts
Got the Corsair today and had a good maiden with her. Winds were pretty gusty so it was a little hard to handle at times. I'll wait for a good calm day to really try to trim her out. I'm using the E-flite 500 batts for the extra weight up front and it seemed like enough. if not then I'll add some weight as Mac recommended. I flew the T-28 after and it's MUCH more stable in the wind, but I can tell that the Corsair is gonna be a blast on a calm day. Rolls are much faster, I guess the seperate servos allow for more throw on the ailerons. Lot of fun, 3 flights and I decided to wait and exercise caution with this one. Happy flyin everyone!
Jim
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old May 27, 2011, 11:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helibard View Post
Got the Corsair today and had a good maiden with her. Winds were pretty gusty so it was a little hard to handle at times. I'll wait for a good calm day to really try to trim her out. I'm using the E-flite 500 batts for the extra weight up front and it seemed like enough. if not then I'll add some weight as Mac recommended. I flew the T-28 after and it's MUCH more stable in the wind, but I can tell that the Corsair is gonna be a blast on a calm day. Rolls are much faster, I guess the seperate servos allow for more throw on the ailerons. Lot of fun, 3 flights and I decided to wait and exercise caution with this one. Happy flyin everyone!
Jim
What holes do you have your aileron control rods in? I have mine just moved in one hole from the furthest out that it came in. It looks to have lots of travel here, but rolls way way slower than my T28 which isn't great at all in this department.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 28, 2011, 05:10 AM
Joined Jul 2006
700 Posts
Quote:
What holes do you have your aileron control rods in? I have mine just moved in one hole from the furthest out that it came in. It looks to have lots of travel here, but rolls way way slower than my T28 which isn't great at all in this department.
I use the second inner hole.
This make approximate 360 degree per second.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1437521
Enough for this type of airplane.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old May 28, 2011, 07:44 AM
Canada, QC, Saint-Hubert
Joined May 2011
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Hi. here is a link to a video by horizon that shows how to replace a wing on an ultra micro.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=2237

I know this is a champ but it should be the same with the corsair. It's just held on by some tape or glue. You would just need to cut through that, then change your servos and then glue the new wing back on. You will need to open the top so you can unplug the aileron servos to put them on the new wing.

Hope this helps!
You were right, the wing and belly are glue together, then glued with double sided tape under the plane. So you just have to be carefull when you pull that you do not break the fuselage in half ! Everything went well, made my own servo supports with the old foam from the belly. Back to flying now !
Mespert is offline Find More Posts by Mespert
Old May 28, 2011, 10:56 AM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
937 Posts
Still the stock aileron holes but the roll rate is much faster than my T-28
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old May 30, 2011, 12:07 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Man, I am constantly cracking the wing @ the LE about 1/2" from the fuse.

I did it again yesterday - it makes the 5th time i've cracked it. But this time it was because I was attempting aerobatics, which I normally never even care for. When i made the Corsair do a nice large loop and then spun her out of it, I attempted a roll, which made me plant her in, face first.

Anyway, it popped the GB right out of its glue, which left the prop facing downward @ about 45-degrees.

Once I fixed her gear box, I realized that - yep - I had cracked the wing AGAIN. A little foam safe with kicker and she was okay after 2-minutes.

I once had tape on the entire side from the LE to the TE and about 1.25" wide, but it looked like sh- -it, so I pulled it off.

These breaks are making me wonder how much tape you guys have on your wings to counteract this?
Mac
Old May 30, 2011, 12:47 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Man, I am constantly cracking the wing @ the LE about 1/2" from the fuse.

I did it again yesterday - it makes the 5th time i've cracked it. But this time it was because I was attempting aerobatics, which I normally never even care for. When i made the Corsair do a nice large loop and then spun her out of it, I attempted a roll, which made me plant her in, face first.

Anyway, it popped the GB right out of its glue, which left the prop facing downward @ about 45-degrees.

Once I fixed her gear box, I realized that - yep - I had cracked the wing AGAIN. A little foam safe with kicker and she was okay after 2-minutes.

I once had tape on the entire side from the LE to the TE and about 1.25" wide, but it looked like sh- -it, so I pulled it off.

These breaks are making me wonder how much tape you guys have on your wings to counteract this?
Mac
Mac,

I'm not using any reinforcement tape on my F4U. But then with the 5043 prop & Hyp 180 cell, mine has the speed required to execute aileron rolls & large loops with ease. Which means there is little chance of snapping or spinning out of the maneuver. Rather than attempting to 'force' an underpowered, slower plane to do maneuvers that require speed & power, I choose to prop & power it accordingly.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 01:10 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Mac,

I'm not using any reinforcement tape on my F4U. But then with the 5043 prop & Hyp 180 cell, mine has the speed required to execute aileron rolls & large loops with ease. Which means there is little chance of snapping or spinning out of the maneuver. Rather than attempting to 'force' an underpowered, slower plane to do maneuvers that require speed & power, I choose to prop & power it accordingly.

Joel
I put in an order for these items with Roger and will be trying them when they arrive mid-week. I tried a stock prop with a HYP 160, which was loud and even more underpowered than with the trips. But my T-28 and one of my Champs are 5043-equipped and both have SP motors to boot, so I run 180s or 240s on them as well and love the performance.
Don't you just love the quiet hum of the smoother SP motor?
Old May 30, 2011, 03:17 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I put in an order for these items with Roger and will be trying them when they arrive mid-week. I tried a stock prop with a HYP 160, which was loud and even more underpowered than with the trips. But my T-28 and one of my Champs are 5043-equipped and both have SP motors to boot, so I run 180s or 240s on them as well and love the performance.
Don't you just love the quiet hum of the smoother SP motor?
Mel,

I do love the SP motors! I've been flying one in my Champ ever since the P-51 motor I installed did the death-screech on its third flight. About the same power as the P-51 motor - but smoother, and much greater longevity.

Now, I want to try the SX motor in my Sukhoi XP.

The original motor in my Sukhoi XP #3 is starting to fail. She's now hitting SLVC on a Hyp 180, just 4 minutes into the flight (battery is fine). Given RC's test results with the Bravo SX motor in his Sukhoi (~30% increase in thrust over a healthy P-51 motor with a 5043/Hyp 180 on both) - I will soon be installing a Bravo SX motor in my XP.

After the great flying wx yesterday, it's back to 20-30 MPH winds today. I don't even have any nitro ships that are fun to fly in that much wind. Glad that I have the mCP X to fly indoors on days like this...

I'm interested in hearing how your F4U performs with the 5043 & Hyp cells. They literally transformed mine. If I don't want the speed, I can always pull the throttle back - but the power is there when I need it to be.

"The only time an a/c may have too much power is when you're stuck @ WOT & can't reach the kill-switch." -Me

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member