SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 15, 2011, 05:14 PM
Fledgling Modeller
Kelowna, B.C., Canada
Joined May 2010
180 Posts
Has anyone tried programming flaperons on the dx6i yet?
Arkitekt is offline Find More Posts by Arkitekt
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2011, 11:03 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Flyer View Post
Aloha,
Got my Corsair about 2 weeks ago and put on all of 3 flights. Bound at zero trims to a fresh model on my 9303 (always use a fresh/default model with BNF’s ~my PSA). Accidentally flew with 100%DR's and LIN EXPO for maiden in 0-5mph wind. Only needed 1click"up". I'm lucky since the one I have flies quite neutral.

Performance- Gull wing has different characteristics than the other micros- very responsive verticals and tight turns. As for power....it is the weakest of the UM’s I've flown (SU-26m, P51D & Beast). Acrobatics must be planned and coincide with the wind direction. The 3 blade prop is supposed to give better thrust but less speed. Outdoors, it does little good.

Conclusion- After flying the Beast and 2S Modded SU-26m and P51D, the Corsair is seriously lacking power in an outdoor environment. However, it would probably fly quite nice in an indoor gym.

Plan- HobbyKing AP03 4000kv Brushless Micro Motor (3.1g), GWS EP Propeller (DD-3020 82x50mm), XP3A ESC, Carbon fiber plate or Ply motor mount, E-flite 1.5mm Prop Adapter (EFLM1933), and TP 1S 160mAh or TP 1S 125mAh x2 with Series connector. May need a XP7A ESC with 2S setup.

Any questions or protests?
AF,

I pretty much agree. However, the three-blade prop is not supposed to give better thrust. Given the same blade design, a properly-sized three-blade prop will always be less-efficient than a properly-sized two-blade prop. There are only two reasons that three & four-blade props are used on full-scale planes - when a two-blade of sufficient diameter to absorb all of the engine's torque would present clearance problems, and/or when it would go supersonic at the tips.

The same is true for our planes.

Regarding the b/l setup - why go with such a small prop? Small, high-RPM props are much less efficient than larger-diameter, lower-RPM props. Furthermore, that 3" prop will only extend 1/2" beyond the cowl, which will dramatically reduce its performance. You'd be better off with a 5" prop & much lower RPM.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; May 16, 2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old May 15, 2011, 11:44 PM
Joined Oct 2006
325 Posts
Thanks for your comments Joel!
Thanks for the reasons over the nastalgic three blade prop.
The 3020 was what was suggested for this motor on Hobbyking's website. Please give me a good reason to switch to a GWS 5030 because I would want to. Unfortunately, ineffective backwash over a possible premature ESC cutoff due to too large of a prop can't be my reason. Have you used this motor with a GWS 5030 prop and 3A ESC?
Aloha Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Aloha Flyer
Old May 16, 2011, 02:40 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Last night I put the 3-blade back on the F4U and went inside to fix the bad elevator servo. I changed the prop's angle to an ever-so-slight down angle. (It almost looked like it was an upward thrust angle, but now it's neutral.)

This morning, under light 3-4mph breezes - mixed with periods of nice, still air - the Corsair performed much, much better, had lost its "squirrelly" tendencies and just cruised around in circles or figure-8s.

It was enjoyable and stress-free flying -- as it was during the first few days out of the box. So I think one of my nose-in crashes may have changed the gear box angle just enough to make her unreasonable.
Now it is, again, a joy to fly.

BTW, even slow flight was far better and very fun to watch as she passed by at a slower clip. But I don;t think she liked anything under 60% throttle.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old May 16, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Oct 2006
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
AF,

I pretty much agree. However, the three-blade prop is not supposed to give better thrust. Given the same blade design, a properly-sized three-blade prop will always be less-efficient than a properly-sized two-blade prop. There are only two reasons that three & four-blade props are used on full-scale plan - when a two-blade of sufficient diameter to absorb all of the engine's torque would present clearance problems, and/or when it would go supersonic at the tips.

The same is true for our planes.

Regarding the b/l setup - why go with such a small prop? Small, high-RPM props are much less efficient than larger-diameter, lower-RPM props. Furthermore, that 3" prop will only extend 1/2" beyond the cowl, which will dramatically reduce its performance. You'd be better off with a 5" prop & much lower RPM.

Joel
On further thought I did not realize/measure that the 3020 is bearly 3.25in! I do have a 5030 and a 4incher (EP4025) which I will also try and cross my fingers for no cutouts. Thanks for the pickup!
Aloha Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Aloha Flyer
Old May 16, 2011, 06:46 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
I couldn't resist any longer so I went out and flew my Corsair in the light rain. I love it more and more each day. Mine handles just fine, I guess I got lucky as many other report problems. Or maybe I'm just less picky. I don't know but I really enjoy flying this little guy.
PepeM is offline Find More Posts by PepeM
Old May 16, 2011, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3 Posts
Thumbs down from me on this one

I have to give this micro the thumbs down. I can fly it, but it is underpowered and out of control flight until crash. I am an experienced pilot. I removed all of the drag items and installed a two bladed prop.
I think that it might be okay for indoor flight, but forget any outdoor flying. I know that it is a micro, but it is just to small (compare to the t-28), they should have made it a little bigger (more weight & larger wing surface).
It is a $100 desktop display. I am sure that I would be much happier with it's big brother. My opinion is that you do not purchase this version, and buy its big brother or another micro t-28!
Good flying to everyone!
chassumner1 is offline Find More Posts by chassumner1
Old May 16, 2011, 07:55 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassumner1 View Post
I have to give this micro the thumbs down. I can fly it, but it is underpowered and out of control flight until crash. I am an experienced pilot. I removed all of the drag items and installed a two bladed prop.
I think that it might be okay for indoor flight, but forget any outdoor flying. I know that it is a micro, but it is just to small (compare to the t-28), they should have made it a little bigger (more weight & larger wing surface).
It is a $100 desktop display. I am sure that I would be much happier with it's big brother. My opinion is that you do not purchase this version, and buy its big brother or another micro t-28!
Good flying to everyone!
Gotta admit that sometimes, when it's a little breezy, the Corsair gets left in its box and the Champ and T-28 get all the air time. I love the "look" and I love seeing it flying around, but it is just not a relaxing plane to fly. There's something weird about it.

I may have beaten my UM P-51 to death while learning to fly it, but at least I always knew where it was going and why it crashed. This plane can be an enigma.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:35 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
... I love the "look" and I love seeing it flying around, but it is just not a relaxing plane to fly. There's something weird about it...:
I agree, I am an experienced pilot too and know my way around indoors and can pretty much do anything with a foamie & the larger glow planes.

I noticed that mine seemed very pitchy in the wind and I had the battery as far forward as it would go.

I finally got a chance to fly it in the gym with no wind and to me, that made a huge difference. It's not as relaxing to fly as my ParkZone Cub, but it does look nice in the air.

I fly helicopters/foamies so I'm pretty good with the rudder, but this corsair "doesn't feel right" moving the rudder and the aileron doesn't act like my other planes, so I mixed in about 30% rudder to my aileron.

THAT MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE. I usually don't like putting in mixes like that, because I think it messes with the aerobatics, but in this plane, I just want to do lazy figure 8's and touch and goes. If I want aerobatics, I'll just get out my foamie

Ricky
rickgode is offline Find More Posts by rickgode
Old May 17, 2011, 11:55 AM
Joined Jan 2007
57 Posts
micro f4u corsair by parkzone (4 min 35 sec)

Here is a crappy video of me doing some back yard flying. I filmed this with a very cheap helmet cam. It was very windy so the Corsair was bouncing everywhere.
RICHF16 is offline Find More Posts by RICHF16
Old May 17, 2011, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
57 Posts
BTW.. Im using the eflite 500mah battery in the video. I can fly like this for around 30min.
RICHF16 is offline Find More Posts by RICHF16
Old May 17, 2011, 06:29 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
No wind at all but the rain just won't stop. It is barely raining, but enough to put me down from flying. It's driving me crazy.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
Joined May 2011
420 Posts
The rain finally stopped as the sun went down and I got to fly my Corsair until it got too dark to fly. I don't know it it is because the motor broke in but I got it to go really, really high, something I hadn't been able to do on previous flights. The rolls are getting better, but I am still losing altitude. I did some inverted flying but it was tricky. Still very happy with this bird.
Old May 17, 2011, 09:31 PM
Joined Jun 2008
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHF16 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiaLx5kWPXk

Here is a crappy video of me doing some back yard flying. I filmed this with a very cheap helmet cam. It was very windy so the Corsair was bouncing everywhere.
Windy and shaky? lol I wish I coule fly that straight and nice in that little area, looked great to me!
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2011, 09:38 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
A little added weight to the nose was all it took to make this plane fly like the beauty that she is!

I just taped a penny (2.5 grams) under the cowl and sent her up. The results were so good that I took two videos. (Sorry.)

Btw, tonight I went out into 6-7 MPH winds and she rode the wind VERY WELL with a dime (2.2 g) under her nose and lipo full forward.

(Please forgive my breathing. My allergies were really at their worst this morning.)