HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ChrisBowker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:52 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
Build Log
DSM Yak 55 build

Sorry about the delay, I made a few changes to the way I was building my model over my recent trip to TX and wanted the build log to reflect those changes. My goal is for this log to help out those that have bought short kits off me since I did not include instructions. I will also cover a few basics of doing a fast and easy airbrush job.

For paint on this model I used Createx Wicked colors thinned about 50/50. I use Createx wicked reducer mixed 70/30 with watter. I find this mix to spray the best out of my brush. Ive found that combo to also resist FLA when peeling the vinyl. I spray my base color with a fan tip around 20 psi, and a normal dot tip around 10-15 psi for my fades/detail work. I use the higher pressure for doing the long fades, I find this to be the easiest method for getting long constant fades. Doing airbrush fades/highlights is not a hard skill to learn, a little practice and anyone can do it. The best trick Ive found is to follow the edge of the template with my eyes and not the edge of the paint. I also do aprox 3 coats(see photo's) this helps keep the weight down as well as give a nice constant color. I flash dry my paint with a heat gun. Next post I start building!

EDIT: Video added from Gary's youtube channel, thanks Gary!
Chris Bowker's Yak in Plainview (5 min 13 sec)

Chris
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChrisBowker; Jun 08, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:49 PM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
That looks awesome!
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old Apr 30, 2011, 03:08 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
Before beginning construction on your model I'd like to cover a few basics of working with depron and a few pointers to help your model fly as good as possible. First! a flat building surface is a must!!!! the flat carbon spars we use can easily be distorted if not glued to your model on a flat surface! If you notice all of my gluing is done on a VERY flat fuse jig I built for building giant scale planes. Its built out of 1" birch ply and works very nice. Remember a model is only as good as the tools used to build it(don't forget you are one of those tools!) take your time and double check your model with a square whenever possible. Also always lay down wax paper between your model and the building surface to insure you do not glue it down!!!

Tools I recommend keeping on hand for construction:

36" or longer straight edge(you can get the one seen in the photo's for less that $10 at home depot, its well worth the investment to get one)
Hobby knife(xacto or similar)
Box of fresh blades(nothing cuts foam better than a fresh blade, using a dull blade will lead to tearing the foam rather than cutting it. A tip to save money is to use fresh blades for making the important cuts and then discard them to a pile of "carving" blades for removing CA ect. having two handles makes this easier )

Note for working with foam safe CA, foam safe does not like to kick off on its own and will always require kicker. Kicker is not your friend, it makes CA dry very brittle, Always USE AS LITTLE KICKER AS POSSIBLE!!! I use an empty eye dropper to apply kicker, this works very good for foam models where you do not want to baptize the model.

Cutting Carbon fiber: I know many people use a pair of side cutters to cut rod, I do not agree with this due to the fact that it often crushes the end of the rod. Instead, I simply score the rod all the way around it where i want it to break(much like snapping drywall) and gently deflect the rod with both hands. If you have never used this method practice it on a scrap piece of carbon. Its very easy and you can accomplish a very clean cut.

Prepping carbon fiber: I always prep my carbon before installing it by sanding any surface that will come in contact with the glue. I also wipe down the carbon with a little rubbing alcohol. The goal of this is to scratch the out side layer of the carbon to allow for the best bond possible. Wiping it down cleans off the dust from sanding.

coming up next, I start installing radio gear. Final landing gear/motor mount to come tomorrow.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChrisBowker; Apr 30, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 05:06 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,089 Posts
build

Oh yeah; Now that I have done it all wrong, you come out with a build thread. You are gonna pay for this one. I'm gonna fly your planes at the Lubbock fly-in, and not mine Any way I am building one of the Yaks. Just need my motor and ESC. Waiting on both in the mail Talk at ya later. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is online now Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:51 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
Tomorrow I will finish the radio gear/landing gear. Sorry for the delay.

Radio gear used:
Motor: Hacker a-10-9l(gws9x4.3)
ESC: thunderbird 6
Aileron servo:HS-65
Tail servo(s): JRs185's
Battery:nano tech 370 or 460's(460's for outdoor flying)

Ive tried almost every setup on the planet for this size model and I find this to be hands down the best set up for a freestyle plane. The JR servo's are lightning fast and make flying indoors much easier. The 65 is the ONLY servo I do not push flat when doing a climbing flat spin.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChrisBowker; May 01, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:07 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkYakRC View Post
That looks awesome!
Thanks!

BTW to anyone interested, short kits are available for both the 34" and 32" versions of the 55. Short kits are $20 and $25 respectively. All short kits contain quality CNC cut Depron Aero parts, and pre beveled CNC hinges as shown in my build(short kits are foam parts only) full kits will be available upon the launch of my web site coming shortly...if you are interested in a short kit please send me a PM, Thanks for looking!

A video of me flying the 34" version at SPEF earlier this month:
DSM Yak 55 at SPEF 2011 (4 min 25 sec)

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Old May 01, 2011, 09:40 AM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Haha, I like your weight saving in the servo.
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old May 01, 2011, 11:25 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
thats a 7g weight savings
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 11:25 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. foambuilder View Post
Oh yeah; Now that I have done it all wrong, you come out with a build thread. You are gonna pay for this one. I'm gonna fly your planes at the Lubbock fly-in, and not mine Any way I am building one of the Yaks. Just need my motor and ESC. Waiting on both in the mail Talk at ya later. Roy
Havent I already??? :P

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 09:21 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,089 Posts
Where in the postal system is my motor???A package from Ia. is taking 10 days to get here via first class mail. Could have ridden a pony here faster Oh well, may be that I'm not to fly this one. It has a different paint scheme, that will definitely make Gary's eyes bleed big time. Somebody give me some answers and enthusiasm. Roy Roy is painting again
Mr. foambuilder is online now Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old May 03, 2011, 12:02 AM
Michael Morales
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Apr 2011
5 Posts
Nice job!

Very cool super simple paint job! I hope you don't mind if i steal your paint scheme for my DSM yak. Also very informative build pics and tips. I hope to get started on my yak tomorrow.
cannon8026 is offline Find More Posts by cannon8026
Old May 04, 2011, 10:56 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon8026 View Post
Very cool super simple paint job! I hope you don't mind if i steal your paint scheme for my DSM yak. Also very informative build pics and tips. I hope to get started on my yak tomorrow.
not at all

A flying buddy just got a 34" kit, he sent me this pic last night.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2011, 08:04 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Feb 2011
186 Posts
hi there Chris, ive tryied to send u a couple messages about how to get a kit from you but it isnt showing ive sent them, not sure why, but i'm very interested in one of the kits not sure what size since i will be flying outdoors all the time in no wind, what u think??
thanks
mikey
madmikeyreturns is offline Find More Posts by madmikeyreturns
Old May 07, 2011, 10:50 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
Hey Mikey,
I did get your PM about the kit. I highly recommend the 34" to people that are new to flying indoor, They fly slower and can be easier to keep up with. The 32" has a slightly higher wing loading and can handle the small breeze much better. The 32"'s do fly faster but are capable of more in the air. I'd probably recommend the 32" to you....or my new 31" epp yak more info coming soon on the epp yak.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined May 2010
1 Posts
DSM 34" Yak 55

This is one of many indoor foamys that Dark Side Models Produces. I can say they have really evolved over the past fiew years. The preformance of the new Yaks are incredible! Chris has many planes designed for the new 3D Pilot to the advanced. For those of you interested in getting started in the wonderful world of indoor 3d give one of his EPP planes a try. You won't be disappointed!! These kits are refined to have the best performance available. DSM is quality! I have been a fan since the start.
jetnut2 is offline Find More Posts by jetnut2