Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:57 AM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Discussion
Christian Youth In America Are Leaving The Church

Quote:
70-75% of Christian youth leave the church after high school (see survey data at Barna and USA Today).

Intellectual skepticism is one of the major reasons they walk away.

Most Christian students are not equipped to resist rabidly anti-Christian college professors who are intent on converting their students to atheism.

College professors are five times more likely to identify themselves as atheists than the general public.

More than half of all college professors view evangelical Christian students unfavorably

The “new atheists” — Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens — are writing books and are growing in popularity.
http://www.crossexamined.org/problem.asp

The comment about 'atheism' might tell you that this site is a religious site before you click on the link.

It looks like Christianity in The US is heading in the same direction as it is in Europe. Education seems to be a significant factor going by the allegation that 80% of college professors don't believe in a God, and the comments about intellectual scepticism. I would also think that the beliefs' of one's peers would be significant, since of course that's a significant factor in the geographical distribution of the various religions in the first place.

Or, could it be, that even though Christianity is still holding out in the US because they are number one, even they, are at last starting to unknowingly succumb to Satan, and this is a sign that the end times are near and the second coming will soon be upon us?

Dusty
Dusty1000 is online now Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:40 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1000 View Post
Or, could it be, that even though Christianity is still holding out in the US because they are number one, even they, are at last starting to unknowingly succumb to Satan, and this is a sign that the end times are near and the second coming will soon be upon us?

Dusty
Haven't you heard? The Rapture starts in only three (3) weeks! Anyone who expects to be caught up in this and who have financial assets they won't be needing - I may need them and will be happy to take them off your hands. Cash is preferred, but cars and computers would also be welcome!
Quote:
2011 AD—On May 21st, Judgment Day will begin and the rapture (the taking up into heaven of God’s elect people) will occur at the end of the 23-year great tribulation. On October 21st, the world will be destroyed by fire (7000 years from the flood; 13,023 years from creation).
http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/may21/
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:40 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
The smarter we get, the more informed we become - the more questions we ask etc

It's a no brainer that religion is sinking - look across the planet and the least sophisticated the society or peoples, the stronger their religious beliefs!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:49 AM
Swim Bike Run Repeat
Rapid City Regional, South Dakota, United States
Joined Mar 2004
850 Posts
Quote:
It's a no brainer that religion is sinking - look across the planet and the least sophisticated the society or peoples, the stronger their religious beliefs
That is one of the worst blanket statements I have yet to read here. Wow.
Chuckhead1 is offline Find More Posts by Chuckhead1
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:55 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,541 Posts
Not surprising. So did I......guess what......I'm back.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:59 AM
Joined Dec 2007
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckhead1 View Post
That is one of the worst blanket statements I have yet to read here. Wow.
How so?
Bflat is offline Find More Posts by Bflat
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:01 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
Here is a similar theme.

http://www.samharris.org/site/full_t...head-of-us-ca/

Interesting, is that the Cardinal characterizes atheism as a belief system and most dictionary definitions say as much. A belief that there is no god could therefore be an evangelical opposite but my take is that most non believers don't claim a belief that there is no god, but rather simply claim no belief and therefore aren't candidates for reverse evangelicals.

This seems incomprehensible to many for which belief is a huge part of who they are... they can't grasp that others can be without belief, so if one doesn't believe in a god then they must believe there is no god.

Reason more properly says, without any proof either way, simply go with no belief.

Christians are so programmed to think Jehovah is the god of creation, that they don't grasp that a non believer who has discounted Jehovah is not saying that he has discounted a creator god.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:38 AM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Interesting. The church I attend must be bit different then. Our attendance is up by about a thousand people every Sunday from what it was a year ago. Obviously they aren't all old people. Matter of fact, the old people are dying off, and moving back to where they grew up to be with their kids or whatever. We had to go from one service to three every Sunday, and last week, because it was Easter, we had to have four services. In fact, we had to cut services short to let one group leave the parking lots, to make room for the next group. We attended the second service, and it was packed, about 3,800 in the main Sanctuary, and probably another 700 in the overflow room. But then I think we have a lot to offer, not just a motivational speech, but a good Bible study.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:55 AM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Ditto Mike.
It may be that some of those grads are trying to influence churches and come up with 'gimmicks' to attract people rather than just teaching the word. Biblical teachings are not politically correct but when the word is what is taught, people get fed. The difference is easy enough to tell. You won't win a youth over by feeding him what you 'think' he wants, give them the truth, straight up.
Mig Man is offline Find More Posts by Mig Man
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:41 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,541 Posts
We teach and preach the Gospel and God grants the increase. His Sheep hear His Voice.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:54 PM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
It's a no brainer that religion is sinking - look across the planet and the least sophisticated the society or peoples, the stronger their religious beliefs!
This is one of the best blanket statements I have yet to read here. Wow.
David A Ramsey is offline Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:02 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Ramsey View Post
This is one of the best blanket statements I have yet to read here. Wow.
In the course of time, that blanket will make you very, very warm.....for a very, very long time........
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:08 PM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
In the course of time, that blanket will make you very, very warm.....for a very, very long time........
That would mean the intercourse of time
David A Ramsey is offline Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:09 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Not seeing the trend here.
Our church tripled in membership last year with almost all new members under 25 and about 1/3 in their teens.

I went from being one of the young hipsters to "one of the old dudes."
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Apr 30, 2011, 01:18 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
I think people as they get older aren't getting the answers to why things are like they are. The Bible gives the answers. The young might be just to busy being young as time goes on and they see how man dominates man to his own injury. They start coming back.
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo