HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2011, 05:26 AM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
Build Log
YA Stingray

Hello,
After deciding 120 mm is not for me i did a bit of trading with Simon <edf crazy> and came home with a kit to build<remember we all used to do it that wayi had one many years ago with a homebuilt Wren turbine and is was a bit of a pig to fly as the auw was way too much for such a small airframe.Anyways this will have a Het 90mm fan and a Het 700 series motor on 10s 5000mah lipos and to finnish it off one of Tams nacelles.I did a search on the Stingray and although several people have talked about it not a lot is apparent when it comes to battery placement, how to mount the nacelle etc so i will just do my own thing.I will film the wings in profilm and may just buff the fuselarge as i want it nice and light.
If anyone can offer any advice or modifications please chip in,
cheers Euan.
egall232 is offline Find More Posts by egall232
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:09 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egall232 View Post
Hello,
After deciding 120 mm is not for me i did a bit of trading with Simon <edf crazy> and came home with a kit to build<remember we all used to do it that wayi had one many years ago with a homebuilt Wren turbine and is was a bit of a pig to fly as the auw was way too much for such a small airframe.Anyways this will have a Het 90mm fan and a Het 700 series motor on 10s 5000mah lipos and to finnish it off one of Tams nacelles.I did a search on the Stingray and although several people have talked about it not a lot is apparent when it comes to battery placement, how to mount the nacelle etc so i will just do my own thing.I will film the wings in profilm and may just buff the fuselarge as i want it nice and light.
If anyone can offer any advice or modifications please chip in,
cheers Euan.
Hello Euan

My friend is currently building the Stingray for the past 3 Days now.

He got the most done now.

He is using the following

XPS 120mm Nacelle
127mm Ramtec Fan
12S Setup

I can go an see him, what he thinks about the battery placement.

Regards

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:24 AM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
845 Posts
Hi Euan
Steve here.I think I met you at last years nats. I am the Guy from Dublin.
I have one of these already built. I got it off the BMFA site. It is flown on 12s so if you want to know where the batteries are let me know.
Cheers
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is online now Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:23 AM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
ya Stingray

Ns,
Thanks any more info will be great, i think a 120 mm set up is too much for the Stingray and may lead to problems like i had with my original turbine version<too much weight above the thrust line> but hey it may work ,Steve how you doing i remember chatting,photos of your nacelle and battery position will be a great help,also can i ask how much it weighs and how many watts you have?,
Do you think i could drop the cell count to 9 or 8 s ?
cheers Euan.
Old May 01, 2011, 01:33 PM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
ya Stingray

Hello,
After spending a few hours going over the build manual and sorting out the pre cut parts i have done a little bit of work,the wings have had the elevons cut out and te and le added.Rather than use epoxy i prefer to use a good quality white pva as i find it easier to sand and a lot less expensive,
tomorrow i hope to get the elevon servos mounts sorted.
I had a look at the rudder servo mounts and found it impossible to fit as per the manual? any ideas chaps? also the vertical fins locate in a neat tube clamp but still require an allen bolt fixing at the leading edge,apart from looking crap do a really need it ?
Tam can you give me an idea on how to mount your nacelle <keep off the green bottles and answer your e mails>
cheers Euan.
Old May 03, 2011, 02:48 PM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
ya Stingray

Hello,
i managed to get the spars fitted and glued together and went back to the rudder servo mounts,
day off tomorrow so will have a look at the nose gear mounts and speed brake,
cheers Euan.
Old May 09, 2011, 09:28 AM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
ya Stingray

Hello,
whilst waiting for my retracts to arrive i have finished off the wing and , hinged the elevons ,fitted the servo mounts,mounted the canopy and catches and sorted the air brake out I have a Tams nacelle waiting for my edf that should be about it before i prep and paint it,
all up weight so far is just under 4.5 lbs so my target is not too far off,
cheers Euan.
Old May 10, 2011, 04:19 PM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
ya Stingray

Well,
my retracts arrived and to my surprise HC sent air up spring down along with a set of sprung oleos < i ordered the less expensive ones> fitted with little hassle apart from the oleos that i had to cut down.For the nose leg i found a home made by me at school <30 yrs ago> trailing link that looks spot on
The speed brake is a very poor fit and will need fairing in with filler along with a magnet to hold it down,
maybe get around to some more building tomorrow?
cheers Euan.
Old May 12, 2011, 03:14 PM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
ya Stingray

Hello,
I managed to fit all the retracts along with the air tank, fill valve etc and to my delight it has held air four three hoursiam however very dissapointed with the Tamjets nacelle its full of voids in the glass work and the hatch is too small to fit it neatly:mad , still after a few hours filling and sanding will see it sorted,
cheers Euan.
Old May 12, 2011, 07:14 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,965 Posts
looks great ...too bad about the pin holes ,i tried priming in the mold with my Nacelle's ...but i always had voids,so i make my own gel coat (epoxy) and i have way less voids using that method,not perfect but very few pin holes.the seams require a small amount of filling and sanding .this is looking good ...very sleek looking airframe.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 13, 2011, 11:34 AM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
ya Stingray

Roger,
perhaps Tam should get you to do his glass work,if i had actually paid cash for it <it was a trade> it would be on its way back to the US.
Still the weather at the moment is poor so i have plenty of time to sort it out,
cheers Euan.
Old May 15, 2011, 03:18 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Such a great kit!
I almost forgot this one but I still fancy this one on my wishlist
Too bad several great other projects are waiting on my bench first.

Subscribed!!

Erik
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old May 16, 2011, 04:00 PM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
290 Posts
Euan.

Nice build building mine at the samte time and posted my build at rcuniceverse.

Bought a already started kit and had to do a lot of extra work fixing wings since the ailevons were badly cut and build.

What fan and motor setup are you going to use?

Cheers,

Juan
juanjulian is offline Find More Posts by juanjulian
Old May 16, 2011, 04:22 PM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
ya Stingray

Jaun,
Hello i am using a het 6305 90mm fan and a het 1400 kv 39mm motor on 10s ,
Kit is very good quality apart from the speedbrake and should be under 10 lbs ready to go,
cheers Euan.
Old May 19, 2011, 06:39 AM
Joined May 2007
14 Posts
Hi there
I tried to take a few photos with the I phone of the interior of my Stingray.
The Batteries are made up of 2 6S packs which are actually 2X 3s packs in series.If you look there are two boxes made up to take each battery pack.They start just inside the wheel cutout and go twords the front.
I hope this helps.
Photos are not great.
Cheers
Steve
steveair3 is offline Find More Posts by steveair3