Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:34 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Discussion
Colorado FPV Meets

Alright you crazy Coloradans...

With the weather getting warmer (well, don't count this weekend... ), I was thinking about when I had talked to a couple other Colorado FPV pilots about trying to meet up someday, so I wanted to just toss the idea out there- would anyone be interested in meeting somewhere in Colorado (location will definitely be important based on who might go, appropriate places to fly, etc. )? May not work, but just wanted to throw the idea out there.

-Kevin

EDIT: The meet is tentatively scheduled for April 20-22 near Hartsel, CO. Exact location has been chosen! See below for directions.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=De...mra=ls&t=h&z=9
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Last edited by Kmart; Jul 30, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
That would be sweet! I've only got a micro so depending on wind I may not even get to fly, but I'd love to come just to check out other people's set-ups. Weekends always work but weekday afternoons would also work for me as long as it's not too far of a drive.
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
For sure! I know a few non-fpv pilots who would most likely want to come out just to see it. I have a spare set of goggles, and I definitely would not mind sharing the sticks!

-Kevin
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:30 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,897 Posts
I'm interested. My late May and all of June is looking pretty full up, but could probably
do something in July. I've been thinking about locations for such a GTG for a while,
but it's hard to find places that aren't city/county parks or Open Space where a largish
GTG would be noticed, and not allowed. Some BLM land in one of the mountain
valleys, such as just north of Green Mtn Res (north of Silverthorn and Heeney) might
work, or in South Park, or one of the little valleys behind the front range down south.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:25 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Yep, my May and early June are impossible, but July might be a good time to try.

I think city parks are out of the question- it's a lot easier to "blend in" when one person is flying, instead of a large group.

There might be some private land East of the Springs we could use, if we wanted to try. Not sure about full scale patterns around the area though- there are a few "roads" that the AFA trainers use to fly from the Academy to some open airspace out East we would have to avoid.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:45 AM
My three sons...
Steamboat Springs Co.
Joined Nov 2004
1,093 Posts
Subscribed!!

If you click the wind layer on this map it gives a good idea of wind patterns.. For example Breckenridge is always windy

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxM...ation=USCO0370
Beauregard is offline Find More Posts by Beauregard
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:51 PM
CEL abuser
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2010
392 Posts
This would be cool! There are too many of us not to meet up. Maybe Hartsel or something that is equally inconvenient for everyone. I can promise a quiet RF environment there though! Subscribing for sure!
pr0ject42 is offline Find More Posts by pr0ject42
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:22 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
There's a TON of empty land out by spinney Reservoir (near southpark area, but more on the east side right after the pass). Maybe that area? Not sure the best way to get there from Denver though, maybe too far south...
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:31 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Yeah, that whole basin area by Hartsel looks really good. I would just prefer to be further East, because then we have a variety of terrain to fly over (the mountain).
Old May 01, 2011, 12:37 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,897 Posts
With mountains typically come more wind. Hartsel area looks decent and I suggested
the Southpark area earlier because there's some BMS land out there where we wouldn't
get harassed. It's also fairly central relative to Denver, Colo Springs, and
Steamboat where Beau is.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 12:54 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
I didn't mean on the other side of the ridge- just 5 miles or so East, so we would be within range of the hills to fly over.

Here is around the area I was talking about- right there around the reservoirs:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sourc...81789&t=h&z=13

Southpark could work too. It really doesn't matter to me.
Old May 01, 2011, 12:54 AM
Brigham City, Utah
Joined Nov 2008
153 Posts
I think sometime in June or July sounds like a perfect time to visit my grandmother in Palmer Lake CO
DayDream is offline Find More Posts by DayDream
Old May 01, 2011, 01:16 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Subscribed. May or may not be able to come but I'd sure like to meet some of you folks. BLM land is good.
volto is offline Find More Posts by volto
Old May 01, 2011, 03:41 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,897 Posts
Where there's water or mountains there's people or forest (Forest Service), and
the BLM land stops. Here's some prospects in the area.

First is with map oriented west up, looking at north central South Park area near Como.
These are the largest swaths of BLM land, with nearby roads, or possibly even
roads running into them.

The 2nd is the area near the lakes east of Hartsel. Yellow areas are BLM, and blue is
State land. Notice the BLM land gets very spotty, and not much road access.
Where the marker is, is actually inside Eleven Mile State Park.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 01:49 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0ject42 View Post
This would be cool! There are too many of us not to meet up. Maybe Hartsel or something that is equally inconvenient for everyone. I can promise a quiet RF environment there though! Subscribing for sure!
Yeah... there's people on this thread I've never even chatted with! It would be great to get together and talk tech and cook some burgers or something and fly a bit. Kevin, where is that glider park where some of your videos are? Wouldn't that be a good spot? Looks to be in the middle of nowhere.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501