Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:19 PM
Romānia, Bihor, Oradea
Joined Feb 2011
120 Posts
Build Log
Sukhoi Pak Fa T-50

Hello everybody,

In this topic I will start the build of the new russian stealth fighter, the Pak Fa T-50 from Sukhoi Bureau.
After I'm finished with this build, it will become a kit available for sale.

I've just finished the main 3d layout of the model. I do think I am quite scale with it, altough there is no available reference regarding this model at this time. So it is made just from pictures, movies and guessing.

Just like my other model, the Mig 29, this kit will be an, what I call building "platform". A platform, that offers the builder a wide range of possibilities. From the cheap, everyday parkflyer, to the scale built, speed demon. Depending on your time, and dedication you can choose your variant.
Pricing will be very attractive aswell, and it will be in the same range as the Mig 29. For reference checkout www.podium-jets.com, or its build log http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1392837

I am planning on 2 x 64mm EDF's, but it is not settled yet. Depending on the interest that I will meet along the way, perhaps sizing, setups and so on, will change.

At this moment it looks in the 900mm wingspan size.

Below, some pictures of my actual state.

Meanwhile I am also looking for a colaboration with a beta builder regarding all the other future products. Those of you who are interested please drop me an email at admin@podium-jets.com

Thanks for watching,

Take care,
Mihai
www.podium-jets.com
podiumjets is offline Find More Posts by podiumjets
Last edited by podiumjets; Apr 29, 2011 at 03:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:56 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
looks great so far. subbed.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 30, 2011, 02:43 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Very nice Mihai, if built light it should be a real floater with that large flat profile. Good luck, definately subscribed.

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old May 05, 2011, 12:22 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
If this ends up a 64mm rather than 55mm, I'm in!!!!
SMorrisRC is online now Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old May 05, 2011, 12:42 PM
maghull , merseyside
Joined Aug 2010
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorrisRC View Post
If this ends up a 64mm rather than 55mm, I'm in!!!!
Twin 64mm would be sweet, but we will be in anyway no doubt !
BRIARCROFT is offline Find More Posts by BRIARCROFT
Old May 06, 2011, 02:47 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Subscribed as always
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old May 06, 2011, 07:33 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,722 Posts
subscribed
IWC is online now Find More Posts by IWC
Old May 06, 2011, 06:39 PM
Romānia, Bihor, Oradea
Joined Feb 2011
120 Posts
Hello everybody,

I would like to start with few words about the project.

I managed to cut the fuse.
There are few modifications in regards to the Mig 29.

I decided to ditch the CF spars from the fuse. After the experience with the Mig, it turns out they are not so important, and just only add weight. There were 2 main reasons for the CF spars. Alignment and strength.

The alignment issue was solved by splitting the fuse in left/right sides. This way, you can't really glue it twisted or missaligned.

The strength issue will be solved by adding balsa spines, on the upper and lower part of the fuse. 1 or 1.5mm balsa sheet. I don't see the need for a tougher fuse. Either way if you're gonna break it with the balsa strips, you would break it with the CF spars too. This way at least is a cheaper, and lighter build.

EDFs. I designed it to go with 64mm. The same issue as with the 29. It seems there is no standard in EDF sizing. What does 64mm mean? I've seen outer casings of exact 64mm, of 66mm of 68mm. In order to cope with the problem, the intake tube is tapered. So you have from 70mm down to 55mm. Depending on your turbine you can mount it where it fits.

Wings and control surfaces - there is a lot of debate on what wings should it have. Foam or wood. As foam wings, it's pretty difficult to get a good result, because the wing is very thin, and the taper is too big. As for balsa wings, everything cool, but that requires some skill from the builder. I want my kits to be easy and as enjoyable as possible. You do need to sand balsa aswell, and man o man, that dust is incredible...

The ideea grew onwards and cought up with the Tails and Elevons. If I go balsa, I think they all should be made like the wings. Again, pros and cons. Maybe in the end, I'll have two variants, don't know yet.

Since we're on this subject, there's also debate on what controls should it have. An elevon setup should do just fine, but people tend to want more. How much more? The tails would look nice to work, but as for effect in flight, don't know what to say. Ailerons would just complicate the wooden wings. Flaps, don't think there's any need for them, since this plane should glide and play at slow speeds. The 29 does, this one should be better.
TV I'll see later, if I can come up with something easy to do, linked to the elevons servo. Full time TV sort of.

No retracts at this point, but there's plenty of foam left especially in this purpouse, if anybody will decide to give it some wheels.

The winglets in front of the engine intakes will be fixed. I know that on the real one they move. Dind't quite got the ideea, they're some sort of cannards, or they just adjust the air intake on the engine. Never saw them moving in flights on the available videos.

As with the 29, this should offer the same possibilities. The everyday parkflyer or the scale full on build.

I plan to keep it under 1kg. From how it looks there's plenty of loading area. Practicaly, you can add the whole fuse to the wing's loading area.

Tomorrow I hope I'll finish the full fuse. I'm still down with the backend and the nose. Again for tomorrow I hope I'll finish the cockpit mold.

The original plan was to mayden it tomorrow, now it's for Sunday. It's a tough one, don't think I'll be able to do it. We'll see about it.

In the end, some pictures with it.

Thanks everybody for watching,

Take care,
Mihai
Old May 06, 2011, 09:18 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if it's the canards you are talking about, they are most likely the same as on the SU-27 family of jets. they operate as a function of AOA and there for stability and direction of air across the root of the wing. they can also act in conjunction with the tailplane for initial AOA change and then back to a stability action. my guess is that they are almost likely to be the same setup. for a model of this size, I would leave them none functioning, or give the option to make them all moving.

Rich
Old May 07, 2011, 03:54 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
What about balsa sheeted foam?
Old May 07, 2011, 05:04 PM
Romānia, Bihor, Oradea
Joined Feb 2011
120 Posts
Hello everybody,

Update after a long day.
I finished the fuse. Glued it in place with the balsa spines. It gives it incredible rigidity.

I finally took a decision about the wings. It'll have foam wings.
Thing with the balsa wings is, that you do need good hands to get good results, and in the end you have to sand plenty. If you do it in your home, you wish you wouldn't.
With the foam, you can leave them as they are, or just a mild sanding for the finish to adhere better (glass, paper, etc). The build goes much quicker.

I'm left with the tails and elevons, the cannards, intakes and the cockpit. Probably by Monday it'll be ready.

Weight of the thingy now as is, is 280g. (way too much epoxy in there )
I estimate the empty kit to be in this weight, maybe a bit lower.
Dim's - lenght 1220mm, span 850mm.

Some pictures:

Take care,
Mihai
Old May 07, 2011, 06:06 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
Looking good!
Old May 07, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,231 Posts
PodiumJets,

I'll just throw this out there... I'd love to see plans, to scale them down. It's just a preference on my part. You're doing some awesome work.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old May 07, 2011, 09:24 PM
Romānia, Bihor, Oradea
Joined Feb 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
PodiumJets,

I'll just throw this out there... I'd love to see plans, to scale them down. It's just a preference on my part. You're doing some awesome work.

Ksqm
Hi Ksqm,

I don't want to sound evil, but this is my work, not my hobby. And this is the stuff that puts the bread on the table for my family.
If I were a regullar hobbiest like I used to, sure no problem.

Still, for the price of this kit don't know why the trouble.

You get a high quality building kit, with no hussle. You'll have all the problems solved ahead, without the need to reinvent the wheel. Yet it'll still give you the joy and satisfaction of building it, and customizing it to your prefferences.

Bear with me, probably by next weekend it'll be available, and it's a guarantee, that you won't regret this purchase.

I trust I won't be missunderstood.

Take care,
Mihai
Old May 08, 2011, 01:05 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
can't wait for this to be finished. I'de love one.