Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:44 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2006
94 Posts
Discussion
Getting into offroad for FPV. Summit or Flux?

Hi All,

I'm looking to get an R/C truck FPV. I'm trying to decide between a Traxxas Summit and a Savage Flux HP.

It looks like the Summit comes with batts which I would eventually swap out for Lipo's anyway, and the Flux doesn't come with batts.

How are the batteries connected, in Parralel or series? In the limited research I have done, people seem to use 2x 2cell lipos for the Flux in series. Correct? Is it the same for the summit?

Which truck is better for traction and durability. I don't care about speed.

Thanks
MaxGen is offline Find More Posts by MaxGen
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 02:44 AM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Summit 2.4ghz
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:46 AM
why am i here???????
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
Summit is the only wat to go with fpv. Unless you put a rock crawler motor system in the flux it is wayyyyy to fast to crawl around with out heating up. Plus the summit has a 2 speed tranny with locking diffs. I have made 3 Summit crawlers into fpv machines. Then me and a couple of my friends get together and we have races from inside the house around a track i have made in the woods. Plus we have contests to see who lasts the longest when we try to flip people over with our trucks. its a blast to do this.
traxxas13 is offline Find More Posts by traxxas13
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:54 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
the flux won't heat up crawling, but it will be hard to control the power. that and 40 mph in fpv is gonna be hard to do, that's like driving a real car at 400 mph. the summit can limit to around 10-20 max in low gear, and not as big a chance of wheelies, so it's just a more ideal platform for it.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old May 02, 2011, 09:01 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2006
94 Posts
Thanks guys, I bought a summit on Saturday.

I was really dissappointed in the power (speed) and duration of the charge. I ended up taking the batteries back to my LFS and they said one pack only had 6 cells active and the other only had 5 cells active. I don't know what they did, but he said the kicked the other cells into action and after recharging, the truck was much faster and lasted a lot longer.

The other thing I am a bit dissappointed in is the wheels have a lot of wobble. I've sent a note to Traxxas asking if they are covered under warranty as I suspect my LFS was storing the box on the wheels and they are now out of shape. Not expecting much from them though.

I've ordered a couple of 5200Mah Lipo's from Hobbyking and some LVA's. The SPC 8000Mah Lipos, are almost out of stock, only 1 left at the only place I have been able to find them online. Once they have 2 in stock, I'll be ordering a couple to increase my cruise time.

Now I need to find a suitable body. The Tonka trucks on ebay that will ship to Canada are in bad shape, and the Willys 1/6 jeeps are kind of expensive.

This is my first truck and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Scot...
MaxGen is offline Find More Posts by MaxGen
Old May 03, 2011, 10:36 PM
why am i here???????
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
what do you mean by wobble? Was it new or used? Check the wheel bearings and check the ball joints. I am havinge a wobble in my summit and it was my ball joints

Also storing them on there wheels dont deform them. It takes them a long time in the heat and sitting on the wheels to deform them. since all 6 of my traxxas trucks are stored on there wheels and some of them for ever a year now and ther wheels are not distorted at all.
traxxas13 is offline Find More Posts by traxxas13
Old May 04, 2011, 02:05 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
i've heard of summits tires getting flat spots from sitting in the box, or in other words the foams getting compressed and staying that way from an almost airtight tire. my honcho does that with it's super soft proline super swampers and airtight, or close to it rims. the only way is to spin em real fast to fix it or just take them off if it has beadlocks to let the foams reshape or drill holes in the rim and spen like nuts again.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02