HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:30 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Help!
Best material for masking paint on iron on covering?

What would be the best material for masking paint on iron on covering? I'm using rustoleum and krylon rattle cans for my project and I tried the new "FrogTape" painters tape (http://www.frogtape.com) that claims to be the best for preventing bleeding and in my case it bled more than the regular blue painters tape!

I need clean lines with absolutely no bleed! Help!

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:04 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
Easy to get with any tape.
After applying the tape, brush a coat of Minwax Polycrylic on the edge of the tape and the to be painted area. If the Polycrylic flows under the tape, it won't show. After completely dried, paint as usual. The PC seals the tape to the surface for a sharp line. Try is on a test piece and see if that's good enough for you.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:08 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
375 Posts
Hi Colin,

My understanding of Frog Tape is that it works with Latex paints. The water in latex paint causes a gel to form at the edge an cure almost immediately. I went to the Frog Tape web site (http://frogtape.com/) and saw a video that was quite impressive. I bought a roll today to try it myself. I am using latex paints so I have hope that it will work like the video showed.

Regards,
Art
Art Horne is offline Find More Posts by Art Horne
Last edited by Art Horne; Apr 30, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old May 03, 2011, 08:27 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
375 Posts
Hi Colin,

I just finished a test panel with Koverall/Minwax Polycrylic. After the minwax was good and dry I sanded it and sprayed it with white latex paint, let it dry, put on a second coat and let it dry. After that I use Frog tape to make alternating stripes and sprayed two coats of black latex over the white and let that dry for a while. When I removed the tape I had absolutely perfect black/white stripes with no bleeding or paint lifting with the tape. I'm a happy camper now.

Regards,
Art
Art Horne is offline Find More Posts by Art Horne