SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:59 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Discussion
1866 Steam Screw Tug Weymouth

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about a new model project, the 1866 Steam Screw Tug Weymouth. I have the plans for the model that were published in Live Steam Magazine back in 1975. My problem is that the boat was more of a showcase for the steam engine and there aren't a lot of details on the plans for the boat. In my case, the tug will be powered by an electric motor, and I would like the tug to be the showcase....so more detailed plans are needed.

Here is what I know:
1) Original drawings for the boat by Robert Freda.
2) Boat was built in 1866 by William Curtiss, Weymouth Landing, Massachusetts and Atlantic Works, Meridian Street, East Boston, Massachusetts.

Does anyone have any information on this boat? Ideally, I'd like to have the drawings of the full-scale boat. I don't know if any pictures exist, but they are worth more than a thousand words if anyone has one.

As always, your help is always appreciated.

Bob SF
Bob SF is offline Find More Posts by Bob SF
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:45 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
That boat was kitted some years back but I think they went out of business back in the early 90's. There was also a magazine article. If I run across it I will send you a scan.
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:01 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Nederlander,

I didn't know about the kit....any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob SF
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:35 AM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
I found part of the article with the redrawn originals. I will also post it at ClassicWorkboatModels on yahoogroups.
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:47 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Nederlander,

Thanks for the drawings. Similar to what I have, but yours have more detail. I'll be busy mentally building this boat until I get all of the engineering figured out. There were two models built of the Weymouth on our local lake back in the 70s-80s, one was red and white in color, and the other was black and brown. The red boat was beautiful, and the black boat was somewhat rough. Both built bread and butter style (Edit: It turns out that the black and brown boat was actually fiberglass). I don't do well with stacking and carving, so I'll plank my boat.

Again, I really appreciate your help.

Bob SF
Last edited by Bob SF; Oct 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:09 PM
Joined Apr 2006
8 Posts
I bought the plans for Weymouth and built a model from them using the bread and butter method. It was my first tug model, and to be honest it was (and is) pretty plain, but a lot of fun over the years. I no longer have the plans, but the ones shown on this thread look like a copy pretty well like those I had.
I do have a comment which may be of interest to anyone planning on building a steam powered model. The plans show a Stuart Turner two cylinder launch engine. With two cylinders there is no problem with the engine stalling on dead centre. However, I I donít think that large an engine is needed in order to run at a good speed. I had a Stuart Turner V 10 engine, which has only one cylinder, ĺ by ĺ inch dimensions. It did a good job pushing the hull at a good speed, but there was the problem of stalling on dead centre. I built a Stuart Turner Double 10, which has two cylinders, the same ĺ by ĺ inch dimensions as the V10 engine. When I put in the Weymouth I found that it didnít give any more speed, but used up the steam at about twice as fast.
I found a serial write up in either Modeltek orL ive steam (canít remember which ) that described a two cylinder engine with smaller cylinders, I think they were 9/16 by 9/16 which works out much the same as the single cylinder V10, but wonít have the stalling on dead center problem. I still have it in the boat, and it runs well. I hope this may be of interest to anyone thinking of build a Weymouth. It is a good model to run, although if I had to do it again I would do so by build it with planking rather the bread and butter style.
Fred Lesco
Lesco is offline Find More Posts by Lesco
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:27 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Fred,

Thank you for your insight into building and powering the Weymouth. Did you do the red and white color scheme?

Bob SF
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:28 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
I cant find ANY pics of this when googled ....
All you have are plans ?
Any pics of these kitted models ?
Tim.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Last edited by Tim B.; Sep 14, 2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Italics
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:40 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Tim,

I have plans for the model and some pictures of a model that was built by a San Francisco Model Boat Club Member. I couldn't find anything on the Weymouth online. I have seen pictures of a Weymouth model (the one mentioned in the note previously), but the detail on it is on the light side. Other than that....nothing. I'll attach one of the pictures that I took a couple of years ago.

Bob SF
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:47 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts
Great pic Bob ...
Is this from the club that meets on the ferry at Hyde Street Pier ?
Looks like a big model ( so shows the tape on the deck ) ...
Last edited by Tim B.; Sep 14, 2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: grammur
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:17 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Tim,

Not from the Hyde Street Pier Club. I like putting a tape measure in the picture so that if I've forgotten to measure something, at least I have a reference within the picture to keep the project moving along.

Yes, this is one hefty model. I used to help the owner launch...we'd each grab an end and gently drop her in. Which brings on another question. If I build it, do I make her plan size (I think 40 inches), or do I scale down? I'm not sure if she will lose some of her charm if she was made smaller. If so, how much smaller? Most of my tugs are 30 inches or less. I appreciate this size because I can put the tug under one arm and march out the door. On the flip side, once at the lake, the bigger tugs are a blast to run......undecided.

Bob SF
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:55 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Too big a tug, with its inherant desplacement and weight, can cause severe backaches and hernias---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:32 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Der Kapitan,

Too true....

Bob SF
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:41 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Here is an update on the Weymouth project. A friend of mine also wants one of these boats and we are going to tag team the hull and make two of them. Both of us compete with model tugs at Spreckles Lake and there are some design elements of the Weymouth that will make her less competitive as compared to more modern tugs, so we've had to come to some decisions about the build. First, we will not change any "artistic" elements that would vastly change the look of the boat. Any design/engineering changes will be invisible to the casual observer. Agreed changes include a slightly deeper keel and a larger rudder. The construction will be plank-on-frame...which means that we will be drawing up the keel and the frames based on the plans. The original boat was built using bread-and butter construction....and I don't think that I could pull that off successfully. The other big decision, was whether or not to change the scale of the boat. Do we make it smaller? There are lots of pluses to making a smaller boat, but we've decided to keep it at 42.5 inches. Remembering back when our lake had two of these boats running, they were "larger-than-life" models that commanded a presence on the lake....a smaller boat might lose some of that charm, so a big boat it is. Off to the drawing board for me. Bob SF
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:34 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,958 Posts