HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2001, 10:39 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Using APC electric props on standard prop adapters

Does anyone know how to use regular prop adapters with the new APC electric props? The prop is too thin and I cant tighten down the nut far enough to grip. Any ideas, dymond sells some adapters in the right size but I dont know if they are short enough,
Thanks Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2001, 12:01 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Joe, I just add 1 or 2 thick aluminum washers, till the not will work properly.
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Oct 17, 2001, 12:38 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Joe,

It won't help now, but the earlier versions of the APC-E props had really thin hubs (and blade trailing edges that went well aft of the back face of the hub). Later ones have thicker hubs and blade TEs that don't project aft of the aft hub face.

In the meantime Brad's suggestion is a good one.

I am still occasionally frustrated by those thin hubs myself. A thick but light washer or two between the prop and prop nut are the way to go. Nylon ones tend to be a bit slippery, though. Aluminum would be better.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 17, 2001, 03:33 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,794 Posts
The hubs seem to vary in thickness depending on pitch (or maybe this is just coincidence). But I haven't had a problem (i.e. needed to use packing washers) with the 10" and 11" ones I've tried, I'm using the Graupner shaft adapters with the domed prop. nuts.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 17, 2001, 09:39 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Having given all my wooden props a new career in home decorating, that is the last frustration going. Bet anyone who uses many APC-Es has a pile of washers in their field kit by about week 3!

You might find a driver has an overlong thread - I usually have to whack them down a tad with a Dremel driven cut-off wheel too.

APC seem to be able to respond to a need for change - maybe if we all wrote them and asked nicely for thicker hubs?

I find it vaguely amusing that they supplier very accurate bushes to downsize the prop hole, when the first thing I have to do is ream the prop out to fit 1/4" or 5/16" driver shafts!
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck