HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:39 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Gallery
Show us your remote shutter release

As an experiment, I've decided to use a Sony Point-and-Shoot camera for my stills. The positives over using the GoPro HD is 16mp as opposed to 5mp. The negative is the Sony does not have timed, continuous shots available like the Gopro does.

I slapped together this remote shutter servo setup not wanting to glue anything to the camera or modify it in any way. I'm using CH5 on the TX to trigger the shutter. The fender washers are part of the ballast for balancing as this plane was designed to carry a heavier camcorder.

Here's a quick vid and a couple of pics of the TX. I have used a similar setup in the past but as you can see I added a short piece of 1" PVC pipe (painted black) as a lockout for the throttle lock on my TX. The close proximity to the "CH5" switch in the photo has caused some tense moments while flying as I was sometimes accidentaly switching the throttle OFF during flight. Not cool!

Now if the wind dies down maybe I can get out for some shots later.

MacGyver remote shutter release (0 min 22 sec)
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:10 PM
4.2V of pure Kraut power
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
459 Posts
Nice.

Personally I prefer the 'no-extra-mechanics' method thats possible with Canons and the CHDK toolkit. Just plug in the camera by the USB port, one RC control to take an image/start/stop, the other to switch picture/movie mode.

- Frank
bzfrank is offline Find More Posts by bzfrank
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:44 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
I like the MacGyver solution for possibilities for my existing point & shoot cams, but I'm definitely going to look at a cam that can use Franks solution for the long run. If I ever get brave enough to put my K10 Pentax on I think I may be able to rig an electronic solution for it along the lines of the Canon. I really like the Canon's ability to switch between photo and video though.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:56 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,382 Posts
Hey Clipper, using ch5, if you flip the switch, will the shutter stay pushed down until you flip the switch again. I have never used any of my switches. So, if I have my camera on sports mode, and I flipped the ch 5 switch, it will continue to take pictures till I release the switch. Is that correct?
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:04 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird View Post
Hey Clipper, using ch5, if you flip the switch, will the shutter stay pushed down until you flip the switch again. I have never used any of my switches.
Yes, my setup will press the shutter button until I switch it off

Quote:
So, if I have my camera on sports mode, and I flipped the ch 5 switch, it will continue to take pictures till I release the switch. Is that correct?
It all depends on your camera. The Sony I have will only take a burst of pics. Some cameras have continuous shot if you hold the shutter down.

So to answer your question...maybe!? I assume that "sports" mode on your camera takes continuous shots as long as you hold the shutter down?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:27 PM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzfrank View Post
Nice.

Personally I prefer the 'no-extra-mechanics' method thats possible with Canons and the CHDK toolkit. Just plug in the camera by the USB port, one RC control to take an image/start/stop, the other to switch picture/movie mode.

- Frank
I use CHDK myself.

Care to explain your wire setup?

three pins and one pin?
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:40 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Can we see some other users remote shutter release solutions? There are a lot of us that don't have Canon cameras therefore CHDK is not an option to us!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 07:17 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,382 Posts
Here's one I got from a friend a couple of years ago.
And here is another.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:14 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Quailbird, those were cool. I really like the one on the Canon.

Cheers
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:29 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,367 Posts
Universal Intermittent Shutter Servo. Hook this up to an Arduino Pro Mini, time the code the way you like and go fly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=210

-Tim
troynh is online now Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Ghetto Tank
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:26 AM
United States, AK, McKinley Park
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
Caveman approach....

Here is my caveman approach. Mmmm, hot glue stick servo? hot glue stick camera? Yes. Mmmmmm (thinking really hard) Stick servo to camera. Yes! (er maybe the yes are grunts).

Seriously though...simple and maybe less elegant than other solutions but works every time like a charm. I used this on a channel 6 knob for awhile, but then decided I could get by flying without rudder on my foam Sky Surfer and just use full left rudder stick to trigger the shutter now. I put the camera in continuous shooting/sport mode and then can hold the shutter down if I want to hedge my bets. I can't shoot too many photos in a row though while simultaneously changing to a scene with a different exposure (like more or less sky), otherwise the later photos don't come out with the correct exposure.

Camera is a Pentax OptioW60. It was a "use the camera I have" decision and I'm glad that it works well!

Note in the photo the rubber bands are securing the camera to the airplane.
MtnSnowFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MtnSnowFlyer
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:20 AM
4.2V of pure Kraut power
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an View Post
I use CHDK myself.

Care to explain your wire setup?

three pins and one pin?
Just to save some weight - there is no need to add the (+) and (-) wires for a second function as long as the other wire provides it... so its only one wire for impuls (the "yellow" wire for servos).

BTW Its a stock gentLED-USB2 cable, see

http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/usb.htm

I use my own CHDK control script for the Ixus however, it includes some extra tricks to keep exposure time short for photos.

- Frank
bzfrank is offline Find More Posts by bzfrank
Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:36 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,382 Posts
Here is another cool way to shutter your camera.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:14 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Quote:
Here is another cool way to shutter your camera.
That is awesome!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 03:33 AM
Norbert
Graz, Austria
Joined Feb 2006
1,580 Posts
Here is my variant. The PCB strip is flexible enough so that the mechanism can't block.

Norbert
EyP3 is offline Find More Posts by EyP3