Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:07 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
bingo
Thats a lot of dead weight BTW you must be very fast with that razor cause the glazing bondo dries very fast
super kupfer is online now Find More Posts by super kupfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:45 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,189 Posts
Quote:
Thats a lot of dead weight BTW you must be very fast with that razor cause the glazing bondo dries very fast
it gets sanded off until there is almost nothing...just like primer. It won't weigh anymore than primer. It just builds up faster so less coats
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:21 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,157 Posts
CN do you thin the Red glazing compound first?
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:27 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,521 Posts
no, i dont thin it. i dont like doing that. it doesnt fill well.

once thing i really like about the ez coat is that there really wasnt any pin holes, so im mostly filling weave, and yes, it just about all gets sanded off. i like doing it this way because by the time i sand the filler and the first coat of primer together, its pretty much ready for a final prime, and sand. then straight to paint. this way im not doing 3-4 prime and sand cycles. works really well for me, with minmal weight gain.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:44 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
no, i dont thin it. i dont like doing that. it doesnt fill well.

once thing i really like about the ez coat is that there really wasnt any pin holes, so im mostly filling weave, and yes, it just about all gets sanded off. i like doing it this way because by the time i sand the filler and the first coat of primer together, its pretty much ready for a final prime, and sand. then straight to paint. this way im not doing 3-4 prime and sand cycles. works really well for me, with minmal weight gain.
Thats an interesting process as I use a filler primer to fill the light weave and glazing bondo just as a spot filler.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:34 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,456 Posts
Got a question.

Would a single TJ120 EDF on 12cell fly the Yellow Aircraft F15??? What do you think the performance would be like???

Has anybody ever try to electrify the Yellow Aircraft F22??? (maybe on the same setup this twin hornet has)

Sorry for changing course on this thread.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:16 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
Got a question.

Would a single TJ120 EDF on 12cell fly the Yellow Aircraft F15??? What do you think the performance would be like???

Has anybody ever try to electrify the Yellow Aircraft F22??? (maybe on the same setup this twin hornet has)

While yes it will fly... It wont fly for long or have good performance on electric. The yellow F22 was origanly designed for 2 dynamax fans but they changed it to single turbine. To convert it to twin electric would be a nightmare. It would need all new formers inside along with new inlets. In the end you will have an overweight pig. While yes it could fly it will be a dog and not fun to fly.

The yellow F15 is a little smaller and can bo done single electric but its a draggy airframe and a poor choice for electric. You wont have any vertical and will be looking for a place to land after 3 and a half mins. But it can be done. XPS did one and it flew ok if you like a race track pattern without pulling into the vertical.

If you must have it electric the F15 is a much better choice then the F22.

IMO you want an efficient airframe if doing electric. Not an F15 or F22. Landing at the same weight you took off with on a bigger plane is not fun.

Rons F18 is so big it does not matter how much it weighs lol. I saw a turbine one that was real heavy land pretty slow. So he will be fine on his.

Brent build is looking great. Cant wait to see it all done!
gunradd is online now Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:18 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
717 Posts
Yes the TJ120 would fly the F-15 with about a 6000 watt setup. Just build it as light as possible....try to get it under 28 lbs. Brian and I were just talking about the YA F-22 as an EDF. on the big twin EDFs...the battery weight is likely the biggest issue. The F-22 should fly well on a single DS94HST on 12s 8000 if the plane is built light(less than 30 lbs). 14s would get the speed up a bit more. I believe people try to go too big on the power systems on twins. Seems like keeping everything light is the key. As a twin you would want to use as light a fan as possible. maybe twin Turbax on scorpions or 1521s. The new Stumax 110 on the HET 800-60-830 is going to be a killer setup as well and very light when it becomes available. You don't need much more than 12lbs thrust per side and about 200-220 MPH efflux. It would be nice to only have 4kw a side so you can use smaller batteries.
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:23 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
717 Posts
YA lists the F-22 at 32-35lbs dry so 32 is probably the lowest weight possible. On a single DS94 HST setup...14s would probably be the key. That would be some fun ducting to make
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:28 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
717 Posts
Of course i don't own either of these planes...so its wannbe EDF expert hour for me. I have spent a lot of time around Brian's F-15 and we will see how that flies soon. First YA f-15 ARF with DS 94 power. I have held on to this thing with a scale at full power...i would bet good money it will fly well with nearly 20lbs thrust installed!!! More than just "race tracks" happenning with this F-15 i bet. Gunradd has the YA F-22 so he is the resident expert for that airframe.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:01 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon View Post
Of course i don't own either of these planes...so its wannbe EDF expert hour for me. I have spent a lot of time around Brian's F-15 and we will see how that flies soon. First YA f-15 ARF with DS 94 power. I have held on to this thing with a scale at full power...i would bet good money it will fly well with nearly 20lbs thrust installed!!! More than just "race tracks" happenning with this F-15 i bet. Gunradd has the YA F-22 so he is the resident expert for that airframe.
Theres a real impresive build of the YA F-15 edf on the attached site (the best one I have seen)

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...15-Eagle/page3

As for Guns RAPTOR, yes he does have one but he doesnt sound like a believer in these massive edf's (I respect his opinion as he does have some valid points), personally I think it is impressive to see these big jets fly on electric power.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:12 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
My YA F-15 should be done in a couple weeks. I am at 28lbs 6oz ready to fly, I have an installed thrust of 19lbs (conservatively) and 205-210 mph of efflux.

XPS did one a few years ago, theirs weighed the same as mine but they only had 14.5lbs of thrust installed.

You can look up the videos, in my opinion it flew fine but was limited to only about 130mph top speed and really didn’t have much vertical.

I am hoping the extra 4.5 lbs of thrust will up the performance quite a bit. I am not sure on the TJ 120’s capabilities but my setup on the bench is 22lbs of thrust, 154 amps and 7000 watts. I am losing a couple lbs of thrust installed and the amps are at about 150. This is with 12s 8000mah on a 700kv DS 94 HST.

I don’t think the 22 would be that great on EDF unless you found a way for 2 fans. The F-15 is proven to fly ok on EDF but hopefully my setup will make a big difference.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:17 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,456 Posts
Has anybody ever tried to run the TJ120 on 14cells??? (with a different motor)

What were the figures?
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:13 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,818 Posts
Brian your F15 will fly great at that weight. It flies like a trainer and you will be happy with it.

Kupfer I guess I just see things differently. I have seen many huge EDFs first hand. They are heavy with a low flight time. Probably one of the best I have seen was Tams F18 years back. Also my good friend Kirk's huge hunter.

To me I want to leave the throttle stick up and fly like a jet. I want to go straight up and be hauling a$$ most of the flight. I don't want a short flight time. I also don't care to be charging 2 sets of batteries on a twin set up for one flight. I wanted to make my F22 electric at first but realized its just not feasible and at the end of the day I would not be happy with it. Spending over 2 grand for just an airframe and landing gear and then have it fly just over a stall for 4 mins is not my idea of a jet.

I don't give 2 craps if it flies unless it flies like a jet is supposed too. Its kinda like taking the power system out of a Chevy volt and putting it inside a corvette and saying well it drives down the road.
gunradd is online now Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:22 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,189 Posts
Quote:
Got a question.

Super I disagree with Gunradd, I think both the yellow F-15 and F-22 would fly well on EDF. You need to really think out your setup, there are many ways to skin a cat... but it has to be a smart setup to get good flight time and performance.
Tam is a master at smart setups and has tried so many different ways to do things... and always has a good result. He like smaller fans with lower amps and mah for light weight. I like larger fans ... the dynamax being my favorite and more mah. I'll be going to 12s 25c 8000 mah packs this year like Bri6672. I feel this is a smart setup... drop your c rating and increase your mah.
So like I said many ways to get this done right...
but a few years back Tam did a jet legend F-22 which is large than the yellow and it's an ARF. Twin TJ 100's at 5000 watts each... I got to see it fly several times and it did great!! It got a 4:30 minute flight on 5000 mah packs... So I would push out to 6500 mah.
A friend of ours got jet legend to lay up a light version for him and it was two pounds lighter than Tams.. I would make that back up in MAH. If you built the yellow F-22 you could find ways to save wieght

I also don't compare to turbine, I love electric and have no plans to fly fuel again so I do what I enjoy and don't care what others think. I know that my F-18 is not the prefect subject for EDF, but I'm doing what I can to to make it the best EDF it can be.... I think it will do well. I have a video of a yellow twin converted with twin turbax's... maybe 4500 watts each. Done several years ago..stock ducts... very little done to make the most of EDF and it flew pretty well.
I know I can beat that one so I will be happy...

Kris doesn't get that fact that many of us fly electric because we love it... we don't compare to turbines, gas , nitro.... we just love electric power

JL F-22, Tamjets TJ100HP video (5 min 36 sec)
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101