to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:36 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
If I ship it to you it's a one way trip

I'm sure I will, but I'm having big issues with building.... dust is leaving me dry for days, fumes make me sick, no time, neck hurts... you name it. So it's lost it's fun for me. I just want to slap out ARF's and fly from here on out.. I'm done.
If I can't get what I want for it, I'll have to finish it our find a local guy to pay.

I have lost all desire to build it's gone
I feel your pain, Ron!

Found I have to wear a good fitting dust mask or balsa dust will raise my allergy (the 2 elastic kind works better). Also have to wear activated charcoal mask using epoxy indoors (so I'd rather wait & do it outdoors when ambient is above 60degF).

But hav not given up the building bug. Especially since you hav the talent for it. Perhaps trying the above precaution will get your building juices flowing again

Hate to see you give it up after all the effort. Cheers,

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:59 AM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
843 Posts
Hi Ron
Happy Christmas from Dublin.I am sure if you build long enough we have all had simular experiences but maybe not to the same degree as you.
I had a simular Experience with a Tiger Moth. I bought it second hand and it looked nearly ready for covering but when I got it home and started to read the instructions it was in a terrible state. I had to take apart and rebuild one wing and build a complete new wing,and most of the Fuzz.
This took on and off about 2 years and in the end enthusiasm wanned.I got it to the level of it being ready to cover and scale detail to be added but I was sick of it.I did'nt want to sell it as I had put to much time and effort into it but I could'nt finish it, and besides, no money would have paid me enough for it.So here,s what I did. I offered the model to a guy in the club who liked scale, with a few conditions.I gave him the model to finish with the agreement that when the
Model was finished he brought it to the club so I could see it fly.When, and if, it completed a test flight he could buy the model for a song.
This way I could see the fruits of my effort and him likewise. I did'nt have to wonder what ever happened to the model and "if" it ever flew. I thought this was a fair compromise, and on the day he brought it back to the field he asked me to do the Maiden.
Unfortunately he crashed it a few weeks later again I did'nt feel too bad because at that stage it was no longer mine.

Cheers
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is online now Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:48 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,242 Posts
Well Steve my story is similar. Over the last 6 months I spent countless hours modifying, cutting, sanding, covering a 80" Shrike Commander to make it more scale. It was my pride and joy just like the full sized one that I owned and flew for 6 years.

I became disenchanted during the process, I filled the garage with dust, I filled my lungs with dust, what a freaken mess. I wanted to quit but I trudged on and finished it. The maiden.

I wanted to see my baby fly and not stand there with my knees knocking and a bad case of the willies, so I let the best pilot fly it while I gleamed. Three passes later he tip stalled it into the trees. Total airframe loss, saved the electric stuff including (2) 6S Gen Stars.

Know what I got out of the whole process? Complete waste of my time playing the part of a hermit working in the garage. It's only a freaken toy, they never fly as good as the full scale, and I wish I could take back all the frustration and bad attitude that I exhibited when my wife interrupted me while working on this project.

Never again, if it can't be done in 20 hours or less it ain't getting done.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:28 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,582 Posts
Building is not for everyone. Thats why we have choices? Personally i enjoy it.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
I have to admit that I love to build more then fly, currently building for me is a challenge due to living in a condo with my wife and 2 year old but I don't intend to give it up, just finishing an Aeronaut Rafale with a TJ120 and scratching my head where to paint it.

Lucky for me I have a very supportive wife.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:52 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,249 Posts
Ron I'm the same way as you, I prefer ARF's. I only have so much time to build, I have a lot of projects in line but the hard work was done before I bought them and I'm just fixing them up, improving things and converting them to EDF. I totally get why you'd want to sell it. BUT! If this really is you dream jet then don't sell it, step away from it and build it as you get inspired, in the mean time fly the crap out of that hawk!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
i might be taking over the finish work for ron....
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:01 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
i might be taking over the finish work for ron....
awesome!!!!
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:37 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
I'm calling in a favor to the big guns...and really hope Brent is on board to do the finish work. I totally understand this is a big project to take on, but if he can get this puppy close for me... I would be just thrilled to have my dream plane and not loose all the hard work I've put in.

I have a few things I'd have to do to get her ready for him, but not a big deal... he is only 4 hours away and I'll drive it down to him when he is ready.

Will keep you posted but there is hope that all is not lost

Merry Christmas guys! hope you all had a great day!

Brent Thanks for even considering this and no worries if your not into it... I want you to be excited about it too or it's not worth it. If it sucks for you that no good

Your a master and I know it would be in good hands and have zero worries
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
Guys I'm so very happy to report that Brent (corsair nut) will be taking over the finish work for me and getting me to the painted and weathered stage.

We had a nice talk today and went over what he needs in the way of materials and what I can do to the plane to have it ready for him.

If all goes as planned I will have it to him on Jan. 5th and the project is saved!!
I can't even begin to tell you how thankful that my dream will live on.

I've worked on it all afternoon and packed up the materials I have here. Going to order the paint now and get rolling on the graphics also. I'll stop by the auto paint store next week and get more primer, sandpaper, tape, filler the works

Maybe if Brent has time he can post a picture here and there to see his master work in action!!

I'll post a few pics of tomorrow of what I'm doing to get it ready

I sold my BVM F-86 kit and now with Brent on board I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me... I have to admit it was getting me down thinking this just wasn't going to ever get finished... but now there is light at the end of the tunnel!!

Can't thank Brent enough for helping me out

So stay tunned
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:58 AM
Jets fly goooood!
Italy, Lazio, Ariccia
Joined May 2004
569 Posts
A huge respect to Brent for what he's doing!

Gianluca
felix72 is offline Find More Posts by felix72
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
Quote:
A huge respect to Brent for what he's doing!

Gianluca

Me too! paint is on order

glued the spars in the stabs and borrowed a degree finder (protractor) to set the angle of the vertical stabs... going to glue one on after lunch
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:38 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
Got one vertical stab on... it was a little fiddly
and for what ever reason my 30 minute epoxy was going off fast. I hate that because it makes me feel like it's not as strong, but it's on there. I'll let it dry over night and get the otherside tomorrow.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:48 PM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
912 Posts
Hey Ron, is that the new experimental (orange shroud) StuMax 975mm 4 blade in the background?
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren