HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2011, 10:40 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,605 Posts
dang thats slick.id be glassing those parts if i was you..

looks sick!

just got back from the chino airshow (awsome show as always) the strike eagle demo was beyond sick. that is one bad A ride. that guy was pulling SERIOUS G's.....SOOOO much cooler than a F-16 demo. makes me want to build a BIG twin....also....there was a P-51 just like yours there, but had a differnt name. same scheme...probably differnt numbers...
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2011, 12:31 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
Right on Brent sound like a fun day!
I'm going to glass and paint it all.. it's to nice not to.
I'll try and scale it out as much as I can, try and do you, Sean and Kirk proud

Thanks for the kind words

I just got back from one of the funnest things I've ever done, went with some new friends to fly 3d foamies in a school gym... that was my first time and man that is a blast!! We just got done, I've never got to fly at 10:30 at night so that was really cool..even flew my walkera heli in the big old gym

really neat... there going to get me into night time flying also with lights.Theres a big group of these guys that live close by so it was great to meet them all...

pretty cool day!
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old May 15, 2011, 05:36 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,866 Posts
Ron, great progress! I'm sure it feels good to see it with the wings on, it sure looks good.
I've just done my second model (not a yellow a/c) with the yellow blade spars and they take some patience to get both perfectly parallel, and I held my breath both times after the glue cured. ;-)
I did find on my last one that the little set screws came out while doing other sanding and cutting on the fuse thru vibration. They are a pain to get back in so I made some fake ply spars to slide in the slots to snug the screws down against when the wings aren't on.
Really enjoying your progress.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old May 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
Thanks Sean!
Good tips, I use them. It does feel good to see the wings on it, looks somewhat like a plane now.

Going out to mess with is somemore today... also have to start a 3D foamy that should take a couple hours
Old May 15, 2011, 06:16 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
632 Posts
Ron Your plane is looking great,Any chance you could send me some carbon stiffeners I need to get some carbon and make mine up, cant seem to find where to get it from at a decent price, where did you get yours from?
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old May 15, 2011, 06:38 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
Thanks Simon
I used 1/8 birch core laminate from dragon plate: http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=29

I went with 18x18 thinking I could double up both formers. Truns out I could only double the front and a single on the back former. I'm also going to make plates for my landing gear and wanted extra.

I think you could get by making the three stiffners you need with the 18x12 piece. I'd give you my extra stiffner but want to save it so if I loose this plane I have a back up

It is expensive stuff, but let me tell you the difference in overall strength is amazing. Before you could bend the wood pretty easy, now there is just no way. It's also very light. So for the $110 buck piece you need it's well worth it. Wear a good respirator, eye protection, and gloves

My dad cut it for my on a large band saw with a new 15t blade, it cut it well.

It would suck with a jig saw or dremel, but could be done

hope that helps
Ron
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:04 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
Is that a refrigerator/freezer and water purifier I see in your shop?! Wow, high society!

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:12 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
Quote:
Is that a refrigerator/freezer and water purifier I see in your shop?! Wow, high society!

Jack
Man Jack, all my nice work and all you check out in my refrigerator... guy has eyes like a hawk.
I wish I could say it was full of good snacks, but it's full of juice boxes, veggies and meat ....lol. Not what I'm really dieing for while I'm in the shop.
But the water is nice and cold... wait a second?

Yo,I'm building a plane over here (said in a New York accent )
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:25 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
Man Jack, all my nice work and all you check out in my refrigerator... guy has eyes like a hawk.
I wish I could say it was full of good snacks, but it's full of juice boxes, veggies and meat ....lol. Not what I'm really dieing for while I'm in the shop.
But the water is nice and cold... wait a second?

Yo,I'm building a plane over here (said in a New York accent )
You do noce work too Ron! I was looking how clean the shop is, I can tell a lot about a builder by checking out the work area. Looks like you have a part-time use shop like me, you set it up when you are building and clean it up after each session. I have a similar setup...

Jack
Old Jun 06, 2011, 05:55 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,866 Posts
Nice progress Ron. The model really has a nice size to it. Can't wait to see the first shot with the wings and fins dry fitted.
Glad to see you got a day in the shop....didn't realize you had many rainy days. ;-)
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:00 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
I can tell a lot about a builder by checking out the work area.
Yikes, better clean mine! Fortunately my space is single purpose so usually clean it by closing the door. ;-)
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:33 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlyscale View Post
Yikes, better clean mine! Fortunately my space is single purpose so usually clean it by closing the door. ;-)
"Clean" and "organized" are 2 different things ;-)

Jack
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:38 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
This type of building is something that can't be taught, it's in-born. To be a builder like this requires advanced planning, organization, a clean work area, lots of patience, good tools, lots of patience. Did I mention lots of patience enough times?

Ron, guys like you make me want to puke with jealousy. No matter what I do it never comes out perfect, and I have the best tools and have been doing this stuff for many many years.

Thank goodness the guys at our field don't look that close. I'd like to think that I am smart, why be perfect if you know in advance that flying the finished product will greatly shorten the expiration date. LOL

Ron, you are a master, really good reading and watching, keep it up.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:36 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,190 Posts
Quote:
You do noce work too Ron! I was looking how clean the shop is, I can tell a lot about a builder by checking out the work area. Looks like you have a part-time use shop like me, you set it up when you are building and clean it up after each session. I have a similar setup...

Jack
Thanks Jack. I try to keep it clean while I'm working. It makes me frustrated when it gets to dirty. Mine is a full time shop, I never built a nice work table.
I kind of like useing folding tables, I can break them down when needed. I plan on build a few Ziroli warbirds after this jet and take a break for building jets... with that type of stick building I think I will build a work table.

Quote:
Nice progress Ron. The model really has a nice size to it. Can't wait to see the first shot with the wings and fins dry fitted.
Glad to see you got a day in the shop....didn't realize you had many rainy days. ;-)
Thanks Sean, it's coming along. Well since it's still winter here might as well build She is a biggen, It's a prefect size really

Quote:
This type of building is something that can't be taught, it's in-born. To be a builder like this requires advanced planning, organization, a clean work area, lots of patience, good tools, lots of patience. Did I mention lots of patience enough times?

Ron, guys like you make me want to puke with jealousy. No matter what I do it never comes out perfect, and I have the best tools and have been doing this stuff for many many years.

Thank goodness the guys at our field don't look that close. I'd like to think that I am smart, why be perfect if you know in advance that flying the finished product will greatly shorten the expiration date. LOL

Ron, you are a master, really good reading and watching, keep it up.
Wow, thanks Al, that's really nice. But I'm no master... I do enjoy the process. The yellow kits really aren't to hard to build, they move pretty fast too. I used to build all stick kits when I started, now that takes more skill and patience. I was ok at it, but would like to get better.
It really is a dieing art, in fact after this plane I want to get back to building with wood. I've never built from scratch and that's been a dream of mine...build off plans.

There are a a few ziroli warbirds I've always wanted, I'd like to keep them light for electric. I plan on starting with the P-47, then corsair and finish off with a B-25.... that should take me the next five years
I've always like the looks of Ziroli's planes.... I'll learn alot building them.

One thing that worries me about the hobby is with the ARF world so many guys have no clue how to fix there plane. I have a bud that is a great builder, almost all his planes are planes that guys were going to toss because of minor damage that they couldn't fix. He takes it home decks them out and you would never know what happened to it.

I'd like to see the younger guys coming into the hobby take interest in building
but in my area the new guys all seem to be into 3D ARF's.

I started flying when there were no ARF's you had no choice but to build, crash and repair is how I learned, no simulators either. It's gotten much better for the new guys, but they don't learn the repair skills.