corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 09:35 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
Quote:
Ron, what about a pair of TJ120's? Those are nice and light, but maybe a bit short on power with a 1915 1Y on 12S. I have a 1917 1Y on order that I plan to fire up in one of these units on 14-15S, I'm working on a big twin project that needs a pair of 110-120mm fans and this is a possible solution for me. I'm expecting power to be in the range of 5kw on 14S to 6kW+ on 15S, something like this might work out well in your project as well. I have the fan, esc and batteries but just ordered the motor a couple of weeks ago so I guess I'll have to wait a couple of months for it to show up.
Yep Arngeir,
like you said the only reason I wasn't think about the TJ 120 on 12 with the 1915 1y was thinking it would be a bit low on power for what I'm doing and on 14s the 1915 1y would be to much... like 6.7 kw.
I didn't know that the 1917 1y was an option... you will have to let me know what numbers you put out on 14s. That could also be a real good setup for me... if it's a bit over 5kw that would be good for what I'm doing. I'd like to see 5.5kw to 6 kw and in the 125 amp range.
please keep me updated

Quote:
ron doesnt use tam stuff anymore....
Not ture.... Me and Tam got over it. In fact most of the accessories in my Jet Legend Hawk are from Tam.
everything is cool
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old May 12, 2011, 02:32 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Looks pretty trick Ron! Years ago I drove by a garage sale and the retired couple were selling (amongst many artifacts) an old glass coffee table and side table. I paid $5 for the pair and only kept the glass tops. They are 1/2" thick and weigh a lot. They work ideal for laminating stuff like you're doing, or clamping wing cores etc as you can sandwich your parts between them, add extra weight if you want, and you wind up with something dead flat. Glass is also nice to build on because you can clean it really easy, scrape off glue, etc etc. Killer to push pins into, but other than that it can be really handy. Something to keep your eyes open for. :-)
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old May 12, 2011, 03:05 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
That's a good idea Sean.
I thought of weighting it between two sheets of wax paper but was worried about the epoxy mess oozing out the sides... do you press it, wipe the oozing, then put it back to sit over night?

In this case I think they will be ok, with the carbon being so flat. But I like your idea and will have to keep an eye out for thick glass. I do the other sides tonight.

On a side note, what thickness G-10 did you use when you made your DS-94 HST duct? I'll have to make a 6" adaptor and was going to try and roll one out of G-10 instead of making a foam plug..
any thoughts or tips?

thanks bud, nice to have a guy like you helping me out
Old May 12, 2011, 04:34 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Once I press the stuff together I just leave it overnight. I use west systems epoxy and try not to gob it all over the place so not alot oozes out. The stuff that does is not a problem as it won't get on the faces of the part (because they are tight to the glass). The glue that seeps out dries along the perimeter and is easily sanded with a block once cured. I usually use great planes plan protection sheet between the parts and the glass. If I'm laminating CF cloth onto ply then I use peel ply between the cloth and the plan protection sheet. It gives it a nice matte finish to glue to.
I used Fliteskin for the duct and it was too thin. The trouble with rolling a duct out of G10 is that if it's thick it will be strong, but you can't roll it. If you go thin so you can roll it you'll find it's too thin and not strong enough. Is your adapter a cylinder or a truncated cone (lampshade)? Personally I think it will be stronger if you cut a plug out of foam, cover it in monokote or packing tape, then glass it with CF cloth and melt the plug away.
Old May 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
Well Doo Doo...
I just wanted to roll it and make it easy.. It's a cylinder

hey what do you think of carbon fiber veneer rolled up as an adaptor?
they had it one the site where I pick up my 1/8 carbon (dragon plate)

here is a link:
http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=12

it has to work there is even a picture of an F-18 on there site

I can make a plug, but that sucks
Old May 12, 2011, 06:54 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Ron,
How about take some really thin g10 or fliteskin, roll it, tape it in a couple spots. Check sizing and fit. Mark the overlap, then un roll it. Sand the entire outside and along only the edge that is on the overlap. Reroll it, check fit the glue along your seam/overlap. Once dry wrap entire tube in 1 layer of CF cloth. Make the tube about , inch longer on each end.
Once dry trim and install. This will give you a nice smooth inside and a very rigid outside. Sounds complicated but I'm sure it would take less time than it took me to type this out on my BB with only my right thumb. ;-)
Old May 12, 2011, 07:31 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
I like that idea... better than sanding a big old mess of foam.
Dude you typed all that with one thumb
Well thanks for taking the time you must be bored like me

If I go with a 120mm then I may just try the BVM adaptor and see if I can make that work...

worse comes to worse I'll be sanding a big chunk of foam
Old May 12, 2011, 07:47 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
I like that idea... better than sanding a big old mess of foam.
Dude you typed all that with one thumb
Well thanks for taking the time you must be bored like me

If I go with a 120mm then I may just try the BVM adaptor and see if I can make that work...

worse comes to worse I'll be sanding a big chunk of foam
I would have typed faster but I was just doing it at stop lights...and naturally I hit more greens that reds.

I wouldn't sand 'a big old mess of foam'. That's what a hot wire is for. You just need a template for each end and you're off to the races. If you don't have a hotwire there are plenty of outfits that could cut you a cylinder. Bob at flyingfoam is one of them. Just get it cut longer than you need.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:33 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,280 Posts
i've used 9oz cloth laid up on a piece of glass plate and when it is about 75% cured (still rubbery) i remove it from the waxed piece of glass plate and roll it up .then after full cure you could roll it to the size you need and glue about a 1/2" to 3/4" overlap .a bit of C/F tow in the middle and you are ready to go .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 13, 2011, 12:03 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,533 Posts
Very nice Ron, you are in deep my friend! Nice to see someone not only do electric but embrace it and even push it. I like your choice of fans but may I suggest you limit it even further to fans that have or can accept the 19xx series of Neu motors, the 15xx is really pushing it for constant 6,000 + Watts. I think you've got a good handle on what you want, stick to it, should be an awesome sight! If you have it for Cali Jets next year I'll come...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old May 13, 2011, 12:35 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
Quote:
Very nice Ron, you are in deep my friend! Nice to see someone not only do electric but embrace it and even push it. I like your choice of fans but may I suggest you limit it even further to fans that have or can accept the 19xx series of Neu motors, the 15xx is really pushing it for constant 6,000 + Watts. I think you've got a good handle on what you want, stick to it, should be an awesome sight! If you have it for Cali Jets next year I'll come...

Jack
Thanks Jack!
I'm not sure when she will be done, I'm not in a rush. But either way I hope you come out to Cali Jets so we can hangout.

I've been leaning hard towards the Dynamax with the big Scorpion 5035 outrunner.. it can handel more power that the 19XX motor

I wish the 19XX would make more power on 12s in the Dynamax.. I'd like to see 6000 watts at the fan on 12s. I'm leaning towards a twin 12s setup to save weight and cost. Not to mention I can put four 6s 65c 6500 mah thunder powers on my powerlab 8 and charge them all at once.

You do have a good point Jack, I wonder if I had the dynamax speacial made for me. Keep it full size (128mm) all the stators the 19xx motor... it may put out 6000 watts if I use the new 65c thunder power pack? humm ...interesting

I'll put that in my memory bank