SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2011, 07:45 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,273 Posts
Here is a full demo flight of VFA 131:

NAS Oceana Airshow 2005 - F-18 Hornet Demo (8 min 11 sec)
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:37 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,273 Posts
Still waiting on my 1/8 carbon plate, they seem to be taking there sweet time shipping it out... but what ever.

I can see building this plane much time will just go into looking at it, scratching my head and look at it some more... Lot's of figuring is left up too the builder, but I expected that.

I set all the formers in place and the landing gear and it's amazing how little amount of room there is in this thing for such a large plane....

I'm really starting to think the best bet is light fans and move them back...
They have to be light if you plan to move them back in this plane, CG is a real issue.

There is not much room for the landing gear, it's huge! the intakes suck, strange shape and the splitter plates. If the fans were moved back it would give the air time to clean up before it hits the fan... also the thrust tube won't be super long.

It's way off, but if I were picking the fans today I think I'd stuff two of the Vasa 120's in there on 12s 6500 (45c or 65c) The inlets are so bad I think any fan will sound good with all the turbulent air

here's a few pics... I need to hit the hobby shop for wood. It's funny there's a bunch of times the instruction say stuff like use scrap wood or wood not included
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:41 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,855 Posts
sweet scheme ron!

for what its worth, i think you should go with dynamax units in this one....
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:54 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,273 Posts
Quote:
sweet scheme ron!

for what its worth, i think you should go with dynamax units in this one....
Thanks Bud
The Dynamax is always high on my list...they sound great too.
I just wonder if I can back them up or if they will weigh to much to go back to the rear former. Performance should be better with them backed up... have to get it built and see where everything needs to be

Then will know
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:59 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,855 Posts
my personal opinion is that the vasa sounds incredibly loud.....and kinda annoying...real harsh soudning in my book. its because the stators are so close to the blades. i wonder how some scorpion dynamax's would fly it? maybe sapac's units...
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:42 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,273 Posts
Quote:
my personal opinion is that the vasa sounds incredibly loud.....and kinda annoying...real harsh soudning in my book. its because the stators are so close to the blades. i wonder how some scorpion dynamax's would fly it? maybe sapac's units...
Yep I'm with you the Sapac / Scorp's are what I've been thinking for dynamax's. The 5035 is a beast of a motor...

I really like Freds work, so if I can get the 5035 in the needed KV and longer shaft I could also use freds parts and build it myself..

either way would work great, not to mention the will handle FOD much better, your right, for scale plane if hard to beat that sound... I loved the way my A-4 sounded.
Old May 04, 2011, 11:35 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,273 Posts
Filled the holes in the formers for the spar receivers with epoxy and milled fiber. Got them lined up good and re drilled.

The two bobs stuff showed... wow! what a resource for a few bucks.

I'm packing up tomorrow and going camping for a few days... so trying to not think about planes. But I'm sure I'll still be looking at RCG at night in my tent on the phone

Why am I addicted to these planes? guess it's better than being messed up on booze and drugs.

I'm going to blue tape the carbon fiber and mark out the formers, drop them by my step fathers on the way out of town. He is going to cut them for me. So next week I can get them glued up and drilled... and installed in the plane.

No progress until I come out of the woods

little update...
Old May 04, 2011, 11:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,855 Posts
cool ron! i got 2 bobs decals for my 1/8 F-5 that was in the jet edition on fly rc a couple months ago....i sent them to callie graphics, told her the scale of my model, and they were awsome. i highly recomend sending them to her, she does awsome work.

BTW...2bobs is located about 25 min from me!

that is a realy cool scheme BTW....
Old May 05, 2011, 12:00 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,285 Posts
Ron looking good ...i think sapacs would be cool too. did you know he will make any size you want .i saw the 102mm and it is well made ,so i would say any size he makes will be nice.there was a vid of Tumblers sport jet on a sapac 120 it flew and sounded great.and i think your smart to not mount fans right now so you dont build your self into a corner. what is wrong with the ducting ?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 05, 2011, 12:23 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,273 Posts
Quote:
cool ron! i got 2 bobs decals for my 1/8 F-5 that was in the jet edition on fly rc a couple months ago....i sent them to callie graphics, told her the scale of my model, and they were awsome. i highly recomend sending them to her, she does awsome work.

BTW...2bobs is located about 25 min from me!

that is a realy cool scheme BTW....
Dude way to go on the magazine! I would like to do paint mask, pro mark did such a nice job on my P-51 and were really nice guys to work with , but thanks for the suggestion. The twobobs stuff is really well done, and cheap!

Quote:
Ron looking good ...i think sapacs would be cool too. did you know he will make any size you want .i saw the 102mm and it is well made ,so i would say any size he makes will be nice.there was a vid of Tumblers sport jet on a sapac 120 it flew and sounded great.and i think your smart to not mount fans right now so you dont build your self into a corner. what is wrong with the ducting ?
I can make the stock 128mm dynamax fit, I'm hoping that with the 11 + pounds of lipos in front of the CG I'll be able to move the fans back to the rear former and just make up and adaptor, this will give the air some time to clean up (6" to 8")
It may be smart to have Sapac make 120mm fans pick up some space and better FSA for the fans? it's a thought...lots of time for that.

I'm also hoping Stu will blow up his 100mm to 120mm before I need fans

You can see from the pictures the ducting has a odd shape... then theres the splitter plates hangin right out in the duct. So it's not a clean inlet at all!
But I really don't think there is much than can be done.. we know from the F-18 in canada that was a heavy ducted fan version converted with the turbax that it will fly just fine.... Just trying to improve on it.

Got any duct wizzard thoughts if you do I'll drop it in your shop
Old May 05, 2011, 12:38 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,285 Posts
i remember those now ......yeah about all you can do is make nice round lips on it ...the 120mm might help too ,but like you said you have time to choose which way to go . the 120mm sapacs are nice and light . so those duct use the air that goes behind the splitter? i think with your adaptor idea the air wont be too bad when it gets to the fan .new ducts could be made for the smaller fans to keep the area more constant...but as it is now it would work with dyna's and any 120mm fan you use...maybe best to fly first to see how it is .get some more pics of the ducts mocked up ...they would have to be really bad to warrant the cost of a new design duct .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 05, 2011, 12:45 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,855 Posts
ron, i really dont think they will work bad at all with a extension. i think your right, the air should clean up better by the time it gets to the fan. having the plitter in there sucks....but you have to have it...it just wouldnt be right otherwise. i think the splitter is what hurts the duct the most, and the fact that its so short like that....having the extensions will help for sure.

yeah, how sick would 2 120 stus sound!! i hope he makes'em.
Old May 05, 2011, 02:13 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
ron, i really dont think they will work bad at all with a extension. i think your right, the air should clean up better by the time it gets to the fan. having the plitter in there sucks....but you have to have it...it just wouldnt be right otherwise. i think the splitter is what hurts the duct the most, and the fact that its so short like that....having the extensions will help for sure.

yeah, how sick would 2 120 stus sound!! i hope he makes'em.
I surely do hope that one day just like you and I guess many others, that Stu would make a 120 or 127mm Fan Unit.

I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Stu has some very nice engineering on his Fans.

For the Current Choices of his EDF unit's, I am sure a 120mm would be a nice addition to his collection

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old May 07, 2011, 02:59 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,273 Posts
Tonight I'm laying on the ground in my tent in beautiful big sur CA
It was time for a break from planes and work

Tomorrow we hike to pheffier falls, then down to the beach

Next week got to hit flying and building hard....hope to sleep well and dream of my F-18
Old May 07, 2011, 02:44 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,470 Posts
Ron, what about a pair of TJ120's? Those are nice and light, but maybe a bit short on power with a 1915 1Y on 12S. I have a 1917 1Y on order that I plan to fire up in one of these units on 14-15S, I'm working on a big twin project that needs a pair of 110-120mm fans and this is a possible solution for me. I'm expecting power to be in the range of 5kw on 14S to 6kW+ on 15S, something like this might work out well in your project as well. I have the fan, esc and batteries but just ordered the motor a couple of weeks ago so I guess I'll have to wait a couple of months for it to show up.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth