HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:32 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
Build Log
Yellow Aircraft Twin F-18 build (It's finally done!!...lol)

Fun to go back and read my first post now that she is done.... it's been a great journey
here is the video to the ground testing, maiden video will be added when that day comes

Yellow Aircraft Twin F-18 EDF ground testing (4 min 26 sec)

Just getting started on my Yellow Twin F-18. I'm not in any rush at all, this plane has been an almost 20 year old dream when I started flying at 19. So I really just want to enjoy the build.
The funny part is I have read so many build threads on this plane I completed the first steps without looking at the direction

I would like to get all the grunt work done over the summer and have it glassed, primed and sitting on wheels before fall. Paint it next fall, weather it and do the install over the winter... would be great to get it in the air next spring. That's it, not going to work night and day on it, just really enjoy it.

The first thing I did was email Thomas(invertmaster) he helped me select material to reinforce the main formers he has much experiance with this plane and as a builder. I have a 18x18 1/8 sheet of carbon fiber plate on order. I will make doublers for both the front and rear main formers, this has been know to fail. This carbon fiber sandwich should slove that problem.

This is an older kit that has been sitting around for years, it's not perfect but I got a really good deal on it. Someone tacked the main stab formers together and did a really rough job. They also oversized one of the bearing box plates. I had to break it apart and cut two of my own bearing plates. The only other thing they did and only god knows why is put on all the gear doors before doing anything else.
With out the formers in, it's really hard to see if these door hinges are going to line up. I bought four new sets of hinges and plan of having to cut off a couple of the doors to redo them.... seeing that I saved well over $1000 buying the older used kit, I can live with that.

Also I got very lucky, the new kit comes with formers for a single turbine... not setup at all for ducted fan. Mine is the version before that revision, so I have the ducted fan wood kit with the carbon reinforced fuse....so it's prefect for what I want to do. I'm going to trace all the formers that are for the ducted fan setup (main formers, gear plates, fan mounts..ect.)
I will keep those on hand so if I lose this one I will be able to make the formers needed for ducted fan use. Also I can make copies if someone is interested in building this plane and save them a lot of time.
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Last edited by Ron101; Mar 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:47 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
632 Posts
At his rate yours will be ready before mine

Show some pics of the ply doublers when you get them done, i need to do the same to mine.
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:07 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
I have gone back and forth on paint.... I know it's silly but I like to pick a paint job very early on in the project. It gives me something to dream of and have a vision in my head. I wanted to do blue angles, but for one my fuse is not perfect. I'm also no good at spraying auto paint, it's alot of work for a good finish. It's also heavy, and lastly this plane is very scale I really want to have rivets and weathering.

I will have full rivets, weathering and the works.... paint will be done with laytex paint and model masters which is light and easy to work with, the flat gray will hide a lot of imperfections.

I will go with VFA 131 400 "Wildcats"
I first saw this paint job when Kirk S. started his yellow twin and picked the same. He has sold the plane and I hope doesn't mind me carrying on with the same scheme.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:11 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
Quote:
At his rate yours will be ready before mine

Show some pics of the ply doublers when you get them done, i need to do the same to mine.
Man yours is so close! get her done...
but yes do the doublers here is a video from 2005 with our very kits, without the doubles.... total loss.

I will post pics of the doublers once done

F-18 Wing failure (0 min 43 sec)
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:19 AM
Michigan
Joined May 2007
93 Posts
I'm jealous.
Like you, this has been my dream kit for years.
Looking fwd to your build.
What fans are you planning?
Scott
Scott9146 is offline Find More Posts by Scott9146
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:28 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Awesome build project Ron! I'll be watching this one for sure. Nice scheme too. I believe TwoBobs does a decal set for it, which may be a good reference point.
Rock on!
Sean
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:30 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Yup, quick google search found them in 1/32 scale.

With red tails:
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/de..._tb32036.shtml

Then later when they went with blue tails:
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/de..._tb32037.shtml
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:30 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Ron

First of all Congratulations on getting your Dream Jet.
Take your time, do it nice and slow and say hi from me to your Spark in one of the pics

The first BIG Batch of parts should arrive next week, I then will need to invest "only" 800 Dollars to finish up the Spark.

Build starts next week if I get everything on time.

My Friend just got 2 Days ago a Stingray from YA as well, he was not happy with the Balsa Foam Sandwich, as he thinks it is an outdated way of construction.

Keep it up!
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:33 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Also, if you haven't already got a copy, find a copy of 'Uncovering the F/A-18 A/B/C/D Hornet". IMHO THE best book on the aircraft for us modellers. It's worth it's price, trust me!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:58 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
Man yours is so close! get her done...
So close yet so far.
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:06 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
Cant wait Ron! Looking good. I am with you I think scale paint jobs are much easier then shiny ones! From what it looks like on other build threads the darn gear doors are the hardest part.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:06 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
Quote:
I'm jealous.
Like you, this has been my dream kit for years.
Looking fwd to your build.
What fans are you planning?
Scott
Thanks much Scott. Keep an eye for an older kit, get the carbon fiber reinforced if you can.. Good deals out there.
On the subject of fans, it's going to come down to building it and checking for CG and ready to fly weight, FOD could also be a problem with this plane and a plastic fan may be better.

But I have a short list of twin setups:

DS-94 HST on 14s 6500 each
Sapac Dynamax/Scorpion 5035... I may also just get the parts from Fred at Dyn-E-Max and speacial order the motor from Scorpion. Either way it will be on 12s 6500 each.
BVM EVF3's on 12s 6500
Vasa 120mm with upcoming 14 blade rotors 12s 6500...

I need around 6000 to 7000 watts per fan... that should fly it very well. Going to try and keep it as light as I can.

Quote:
Awesome build project Ron! I'll be watching this one for sure. Nice scheme too. I believe TwoBobs does a decal set for it, which may be a good reference point.
Rock on!
Sean
Thanks Sean, funny thing is I placed the order with TwoBobs a couple days ago.. we were on the same page with that one. I will have pro mark make the paint mask. I'm going to order a copy of the book you suggest, all I have to do is look at your sweet F-18. You know what your talking about

Quote:
Ron

First of all Congratulations on getting your Dream Jet.
Take your time, do it nice and slow and say hi from me to your Spark in one of the pics

The first BIG Batch of parts should arrive next week, I then will need to invest "only" 800 Dollars to finish up the Spark.

Build starts next week if I get everything on time.

My Friend just got 2 Days ago a Stingray from YA as well, he was not happy with the Balsa Foam Sandwich, as he thinks it is an outdated way of construction.

Keep it up!
Thank you!
You will love your Spark, great flying plane! You know tell your friend that the foam is old school but sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it Foam has been used for years for wing cores and works just fine, not the lightest but strong and easy to work with.

Thanks guys
Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:25 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
Quote:
So close yet so far
looks really nice Simon! I love it.. you will get it done.

Quote:
Cant wait Ron! Looking good. I am with you I think scale paint jobs are much easier then shiny ones! From what it looks like on other build threads the darn gear doors are the hardest part.
Thanks Kris!

It's so much work for a auto finish, I used to paint cars with my dad. Even when you think the prep is perfect, you put the paint on and see it's not perfect...then dust in the clear and the weight. Forget it! Not to mention auto paint cost an arm and a leg, it's also nasty to work with

I'm going to take liberty to make it dirtier than the pics...

I'll be pluggin along
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:44 PM
EDF Vulcan To The Sky
Near Koblenz, Germany
Joined Jul 2002
191 Posts
Ron,

it would be great if I could get copies of the DF version wood parts. I received my kit in February and it came with the turbine inlet. I ordered the kit from Shaun Evans and his website still advertised the kit with the DF parts. I emailed him and got the inlet exchanged against the old DF ductings. Great customer service!

But I still have the turbine wood parts, so your help would be highly appreciated. My Hornet will be powered by two DS 94 HST with the open inlet system (not as shown on the pics). There is another modeler over here in Germany who ordered the kit as well last winter and plans to replace the wood formers with composite parts and he promised I can get a set as well. But it is not clear when this will happen. Thus, build will not start too soon.
I haven't decided about the paint scheme yet, but I already got the "details4scale" cockpit and the lighting system. The cockpit needs some rework to get it more scale but it's a great start.

Frank
Radar-Guy is offline Find More Posts by Radar-Guy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Jepe Hunter
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:59 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
Hey Franks,
Those HST's sure look nice in there... may I ask why you don't want to use the closed ducting? I was looking at the open ducting option for mine but you will have to cut away a lot of the DS Bellmouth to make it work, maybe most of it. The other concern I have with it open is the landing gear tossing rocks in the fan.
I personally feel that with the weight of the DS-94 HST your going to need them as far forward as possiable for CG. I think there going to need to be in the stock ducts and in the forward stock location for CG. But time will tell... all of these need nose weight and everything in the nose.

If I run the HST's I'll keep them in the stock ducting, the other worry I have is wing loading. This bug has been flown at very heavy weights...50 lbs. So I may be stressing over it for nothing. But one DS-94 HST with 14s 6500 and a spin 200 is 9.5oz pounds x 2 = 18 lbs 10oz that's alot of weight.

I want to keep mine under 40 pounds, that's the goal. There are fans that are 2lbs or under with a 12s 6500 setup and a CC 160 your talking 7 pounds 1 oz x 2 = 14 lbs 2 oz so your talking about a 4.5 pound weight savings.. that could be the differance of a 40 pound plane or 35 1/2 pounds.. pretty big deal. So I have to get my head around that. It will take me flying my DS-94 HST in my hawk to really get an idea of the power and flight times.

Once I've traced all the formers I will make copies and send them to you. Shoot me a PM with your info and I'll get you the templates in a couple weeks.