HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2003, 08:00 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,768 Posts
Can someone help me with my TX/RX? It's not working...

Ok, I just bought a Crazy Max, and have everything I need now to fly it, or so I thought...

I have a Futaba 9cH for my TX. Running on channel 39. I have a Hitec feather single conversion negative shift RX for the max. I bought from Servo City a Hitec Single Conversion crystal #39.

I swith the TX on, and plug a bettery into the RX.. The servos twitch at the initial power up, but when I move the sticks, nothing moves. If I turn off the TX while the battery is still plugged in to the RX, then turn on the TX again, the servos twitch as the TX comes on, so they're getting some type of signal...

Is my TX not compatible with single conversion? Or is there something I have to change on my TX to make it work with that RX?

I have a Berg 5 RX for my Piccolo pro, and it works fine with this TX. But the Hitec does not work for some reason..

Anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jeff
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2003, 09:31 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
The Tx must be compatible with single conversion, the Berg is a single conversion Rx.

Check that the servos are plugged in correctly. You haven't accidently switched the Tx into PCM mode have you ? Try it using exactly the same model memory as the Piccolo and see if it does anything.

Alternatively you may just have a dead Feather.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Aug 18, 2003, 09:42 AM
Joined Oct 2002
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steve lewin
You haven't accidently switched the Tx into PCM mode have you ?

One of my friends asked the same thing, and truthfully, I can't remember! I think it may be. I will check when I get home tonight. I hope that's the problem!! Thanks buddy.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:45 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Single conversion, double conversion, doesn't matter. The signals are the same.

The term "conversion" is used in regards to the filtering the receiver does when it receives a signal. A single conversion receiver filters the signal once. A double conversion receiver filters the signal twice. That's it in a nutshell.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Aug 18, 2003, 01:24 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,688 Posts
Double conversion applies to the reciever only. You need a different Crystal in a doubvle convesrion reciever: Apart from that there is no incompatibility issue wih the transmitter. So thats not it. Well unless you have been sold a #39 double conversion crystal by mistake, Check that.

PCM is a modulation issue, and both transmitter and receiver need to be compatible with whatever standard is in use. A non PCM receiver will not do anything uif a PCM mode transmitter is used. Futaba transmitters have selectable PCM/non PCM modes. Check this.

There is an issue on US sets with positive and negative frequency shifts. I don't think this applies to Futaba TX Hitec RX.

Try some obvious things first like removng the ESC and checking using a normal RX pack on the receiver. Near dead batteries can cause the effect you are noting.

If that still doesn't work, try substituting a different receiver - taking teh whole shebang back to whereyou bought the reciever and letting them sort oit may be the fastest approach.

I hope you didn;'t plug the servos in backwards...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:12 AM
Joined Oct 2002
1,768 Posts
Thank you guys!!

It was the PCM/PPM issue. It was switched to PCM.

Now the RX works perfectly.

Thanks again!!!