HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:00 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
Discussion
Need Input on Large Heli Purchase

I am new to large electric helis and kits. I am wanting to buy my 1st large electric heli and donít want to spend a ton of money. I donít want to do 3D but just want to sport around.

What is a clone?

What would be the best dollar value for my first 550 - 700 size. I am willing to do upgrades on any kits.

Iíve looked some at the HK and Chaos Kits but I donít know what I am looking at.

I have been flying RC planes for 10 years....use a DX7 radio.....and consider myself a good intermediate heli flyer. I would want to set up my large heli in low rates for sports flying.
rnorth is offline Find More Posts by rnorth
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:05 AM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined May 2010
216 Posts
I had good luck with the HK600GT. Had to change the the tail drive gear, main gears, added the RJX flybarless head with the Turnigy flybarless electronics. It was a simple build and it flies great. No issues aside from my own learning curve with the flybarless setup.
weimer20 is offline Find More Posts by weimer20
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:18 AM
Will fly for food.
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jul 2002
402 Posts
You cannot go wrong with the Chaos. The price is right, the kit is complete and you only have to upgrade what you want to upgrade, but no upgrades are required.

$500'ish shipped...can't go wrong.

Jon
Jonathan Ott is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Ott
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:44 AM
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
911 Posts
If you are looking for a 450 sized heli (which may be bit less "intimidating" for your first heli), consider the Helios 450S Complete Package... you get everything for $250.
Steve Joblin is offline Find More Posts by Steve Joblin
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,653 Posts
Check out the Century Swift NX combo with the 600+motor and their 85A ESC.

I found it to be a very versatile 550 sized electric that can be easily set-up to be a docile trainer on 4S packs or a hot 3D machine on 6S packs, or anything in between. It is very dependable with no maintenance or slop developing over hundreds of flights. The parts for crash repair if needed arewell priced and parts are easy to get. And they have a good selection of scale fuselages on offer for those into scale flight.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Last edited by rotoraddict; Apr 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:35 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
Guys,
I really appreciate this input. Keep it coming. I am leaning toward the Chaos 600. Does anybody have any pro or con comments to make about it.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:54 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorth View Post
Guys,
I really appreciate this input. Keep it coming. I am leaning toward the Chaos 600. Does anybody have any pro or con comments to make about it.
PROs
Good price for what you get, great quality
Can use most Align parts.
Excellent support from RCA, I mean EXCELLENT!
Owners are on here all the time helping out.
Wider frames if you eventually want to use bigger motor.

CONs
Building might be a bit confusing. Just read the build thread.
Ummmm, what else..... what else?
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:02 PM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
I would Second the Chaos 600, although they also have a 500 version. I have had no problems with my Chaos 600 supercomb at all and she flies as well as my Trex but at half the price. *Yes I have both * I will Second that the service is EXCELLENT!!!!!!
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:27 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugequark View Post
PROs
Good price for what you get, great quality
Can use most Align parts.
Excellent support from RCA, I mean EXCELLENT!
Owners are on here all the time helping out.
Wider frames if you eventually want to use bigger motor.

CONs
Building might be a bit confusing. Just read the build thread.
Ummmm, what else..... what else?
Is this combo the best dollar for dollar value if I want to stay in the $500 range? If Iím not planning on 3D...do I really need the Scorpion motor?

http://www.scaleflying.com/Chaos-600...T9_p_1795.html

rnorth
Old Apr 27, 2011, 03:05 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Is this combo the best dollar for dollar value if I want to stay in the $500 range? If Iím not planning on 3D...do I really need the Scorpion motor?

rnorth
You definitely do not need the scorpion motor. The combo is more than adequate for sport to spirited aerobatics.

I happened to catch the 12S bug right after ordering my combo, so the included motor and esc are still in their packaging. But there's a bunch of people here, runryder, and helifreak using the combo electronics.
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Apr 27, 2011, 03:21 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2004
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugequark View Post
You definitely do not need the scorpion motor. The combo is more than adequate for sport to spirited aerobatics.

I happened to catch the 12S bug right after ordering my combo, so the included motor and esc are still in their packaging. But there's a bunch of people here, runryder, and helifreak using the combo electronics.
Thanks so much!!! - Richard
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:29 PM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ott View Post
You cannot go wrong with the Chaos. The price is right, the kit is complete and you only have to upgrade what you want to upgrade, but no upgrades are required.

$500'ish shipped...can't go wrong.

Jon
W00T! And seconded!
thenodemaster is offline Find More Posts by thenodemaster
Old May 06, 2011, 09:42 AM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
Quote:

rnorth
Most of us are flying it with the motor and electronics that are coming with it. My friend replaced all his servo's and gyro after he had a crash but that was a personal preference. A few guys here have taken them to a 10-12s setup but that is beyond my flying ability right now.
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1
Old May 06, 2011, 12:31 PM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
Check out the Century Swift NX combo with the 600+motor and their 85A ESC.

I found it to be a very versatile 550 sized electric that can be easily set-up to be a docile trainer on 4S packs or a hot 3D machine on 6S packs, or anything in between. It is very dependable with no maintenance or slop developing over hundreds of flights. The parts for crash repair if needed arewell priced and parts are easy to get. And they have a good selection of scale fuselages on offer for those into scale flight.
+1 on the Swift NX. I have one and fly it more than the clone 500's now.
hfenn is offline Find More Posts by hfenn
Old May 06, 2011, 07:10 PM
Quit asking ???s, get a Quark!
On a 20ft ladder with a 20ft stick beating an airplane out of a tree. In Spokane, WA.
Joined Oct 2006
713 Posts
+2 on the Swift. Very dependable, low maintenance, parts are cheap.
wetwolf is offline Find More Posts by wetwolf