HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:08 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Build Log
Super Cub DIY lightweight Tundra Tires - v0.5

We (dijko and me) each are scratch building a 46" bush Super Cub, Piper PA-18 Super Cub, and also the Tundra tires are the result of some improvisation. Thought I could share here as well.

I used balloons, stretched over furniture foam, in this case 5 cm thick. Roughly cut and after that shaped whit a very sharp knife, while spinning (the foam) attached to a high speed drill. I used foam because I liked the tires to keep wobbly-ness.

The images below speak for themselves.

The balloons I used here were too small. They compress and malform the foam and it is difficult to get them both the same diameter. So, shopping for larger balloons then. But you'll get the idea.

The hubs are taken from Dubro's Tundra tires. Those tires are, however very nice, 100 gram each, way too heavy for this plane.

And the beauty of it all? They are 25 gram each... Water and dirt resistent and no air leaking out...

Yvo

Phaeton is online now Find More Posts by Phaeton
Last edited by Phaeton; Apr 26, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:01 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,929 Posts
Very cool idea!
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:24 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
I used a black balloon as a "leather helmet" for a doll head I made to pilot a Tiger Moth. It lasted 1 season before the rubber began to dry-rot and crumble. I think this is a great idea for a tundra tire, but make sure you build it so you can replace the rubber easily. You might even want to double up on the balloons to make it a bit tougher.

Has anyone thought of using "liquid rubber"? You could dip your foam doughnut in the liquid rubber and rotate it until it dried to prevent drips and runs.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:43 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
I used a black balloon as a "leather helmet" for a doll head I made to pilot a Tiger Moth. It lasted 1 season before the rubber began to dry-rot and crumble. I think this is a great idea for a tundra tire, but make sure you build it so you can replace the rubber easily. You might even want to double up on the balloons to make it a bit tougher.

Has anyone thought of using "liquid rubber"? You could dip your foam doughnut in the liquid rubber and rotate it until it dried to prevent drips and runs.
Removing rubber is easy, scissors will do Yep, I thought of the double layer variant. But I have to get me new balloons first now... But somehow black balloons are more rubberish than the colored ones, this stuf is Trexler like.

Liquid rubber? Like this? http://www.smooth-on.com/. I'm going to have a look...

Yvo
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:55 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
I'm sorry, I meant "plasti-dip". I see it in the hardware stores... for adding rubber grips to tools, etc.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Maybe you could simply add Plasti-Dip over the balloon... so it acts like an inner-tube, giving you a smooth surface to start with.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:59 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
I'm sorry, I meant "plasti-dip". I see it in the hardware stores... for adding rubber grips to tools, etc.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
Ah, already looking and Google-ing, thx
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:28 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Found a European Plasti Dip distributor. I'll give the spray a try and apply/try both on the balloons and the plain foam. Perhaps some profile or 3D text on the tires when the stuff handles well...

To be continued...

Yvo
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:39 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
I just hope the spray stuff does not eat the foam.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:41 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
I have plenty of spare material, I'll try that first. Otherwise it will be dipping...

And when successful, the tailwheel will get a Tundra look as well...

Yvo
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:56 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Quote:
By the way, I'm following the Peter Rake 1/6 Scale Albatros DVa thread: Beautiful job you did on the pilot.

Yvo
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:09 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Thanks. I was just trying to make it worthy of the plane... that is quite a model.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2011
478 Posts
Don't blow the balloon up before you use it and it will last a lot longer. Talc helps too.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old May 02, 2011, 04:42 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,218 Posts
Little update...

Can't get the foam smooth enough to get (that's a guess) the Plasti Dip on well enough to get the real Tundra look. The balloons are still an option as well, but I have to find the proper size first. Otherwise, it will be Plasti Dip with another kind of foam, more smooth to begin with.

But we're going to maiden the Cub first, see if and how it flies. Or crashes . In other words, see if there are any wheels left afterwards

But I'll find a proper solution, also for my next project, a Carbon Cub SS, completely build with carbon rods. At least the fuse.

Yvo

Old May 03, 2011, 09:26 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Very cool projects! Keep those posts coming, this is interesting.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old May 05, 2011, 11:55 AM
Ninja-Exterminator
United States, ME, York
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
Maybe try memory foam?
tozovr is offline Find More Posts by tozovr