Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
Help!
Help. Esky tandem coax

Ok. two things. This is my first coax. Esky tandem coax
http://www.rc-fever.com/esky-tandem-...th=337_177_689
I got it because my other heli is not indoor appropriate. I had it up and it flew well for the most part however... even with the elevator trim all the way back, i still had to hold some back elevator stick in order to keep it in a stable hover. It's almost like its nose heavy. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it???

Also, somehow one of the flybars hit a blade and snapped about a third of the way in towards the rotor head. Is this just 1mm carbon rod that i can replace? Can i reuse the current shortend rod and just re-atach the weight and re-center it on the head???

Coming from a slightly more agressive heli this little thing is fun inside. So i would like to get it back in the air as soon as possible. Thanks.
ISPYFROMABOVE is offline Find More Posts by ISPYFROMABOVE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:28 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Can the battery be moved back a little to help with forwards drift?

Never had a tandem, but would assume forwards and backwards movement is obtained by slowing down the front rotors and speeding up the rear, to dip the nose down for forwards movement and vice versa for backwards movement? If so, does the RX offer any adjustment here?

I also noticed from the pictures that the swashplate seems to be able to move, is this for lateral (sideways) movement?
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:01 AM
Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
The way the battery tray is designed, the battery can not be moved without cutting some of the tabs off. I'm not farmiliar with coax or tandem yet as i only got 2 flights on it so far. I suppose i could break down and read the manuel.... that might shed some light on the subject.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:11 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISPYFROMABOVE View Post
The way the battery tray is designed, the battery can not be moved without cutting some of the tabs off. I'm not farmiliar with coax or tandem yet as i only got 2 flights on it so far. I suppose i could break down and read the manuel.... that might shed some light on the subject.
Please pay particular attention to the "lipo care" section

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:41 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
That is the nature of tandem coax helis. If you change weight distribution, you are going to get really awful forward movement. Here's why. To move forward, the rotors tilt forward. See what happens when they both attempt to level. Of course, this is an exaggeration, but you should get the idea. To get decent movement from a tandem requires offset masts and movement biased to one mast.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:14 PM
Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
BALR

So fighting against the constant forward movement is normal??? i figured a stable hover for a tandem coax would be a no brainer
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:06 PM
Springfield, VA USA
Joined Sep 2008
284 Posts
ISPYFROMABOVE,

Your Esky tandem looks like a 5 ounce knockoff of the 14 ounce Twister Skylift. As such, it should not be trying to plow ahead straight out of the box. Check to be certain that both of your swashplates are level.
AH-64 D is online now Find More Posts by AH-64 D
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:33 PM
Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
AH

i will do that tonight.... any sugestions about the flybar, i dont have a spare but i'm not afraid to modify the existing one.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
A shorter flybar isn't going to hurt it.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:40 AM
Springfield, VA USA
Joined Sep 2008
284 Posts
Be sure to balance whatever flybar you create. Things can get crazy if it is unbalanced.

As for swashplates, power up the electronics so that the servos center. Power everything off and look at the swashplates - They ought to be perpendicular to their rotormasts. If one is not, make sure it has not popped apart, then adjust its linkage to level it. Power up and check to be sure it is still level.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:12 AM
Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
OK. so i now have a SHORT flybar now, but it's ballanced and i dont get any vibrations out of it. It now requires full back input on the stick to maintain a stable hover. I didn't have a lot of time to look at the swash plates or linkages, it was midnight when i finished the flybar. Slaped everything back together and noticed how hard it wanted to fly forward, and decided after a few drunken manatee flops that i'd fly my HBFP instead since it was trimmed out well. I'm going on vacation this weekend and i'll take the tandem with me to work on it.....
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:24 PM
Springfield, VA USA
Joined Sep 2008
284 Posts
Esky has a reputation for selling products that require a lot of trimming to get them to fly right. have a good vacation and good luck with your tandem.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:31 PM
Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
OK...... tore it down while getting ready to leave. The front swash was WAY off. So i re-leveled it as best as my eye would let me. The battery is charging now so i'll know in a few.

Thanks for the help.
Old May 04, 2011, 04:24 PM
Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
Alright. Back from vacation.... I needed it.

As far as the Tandem goes....... After leveling out the swashplates it flew much better. i was able to trim it to a nearly hands off hover. I had it up aboug 5' in the air buzzing around (It had only been up about 1-2 minutes) and the front of it dropped out of the sky like a rock, pulling the rest of in tow.

No damage to report, but I noticed that the lower set of blades on the front shaft are not spinning. Haven't taken it apart yet, has anyone ever experienced this befor. I've never had a motor just quit withoug warning, or could this be the 3-in1?
Old May 05, 2011, 09:30 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,914 Posts
I assume you checked the upper collar to make sure the screw did not back off. This issue is very common on a regular coax. This is the collar that sits just beneath the swash. If this is loose the shaft will drop down disengaging from the motor. Make sure the "B" gear is engaged with the pinion

Mike.

EDIT: Check your rotor head screws as well
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012