HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2003, 07:08 PM
Damascus Md
Joined Oct 2002
147 Posts
Hanza Brandenburg W-29

I have made and flown a small electric w-29 and have built (and not yet flown) a larger electric of this same plane. I covered it with silkspan and paint. It has a speed 700 motor with a 2:1 belt drive and a 14x8 prop. I think it needs a bigger motor though. Tried to take it off the grass but no luck. I scratch built it from plans from Cleavland models. I built the wing without the use of standard ribs. I bent basswood cap strips over the spar attached to the leading and trailing edges to form the bottom flat airfoil. I made floats of styrofoam covered with balsa and basswood. There is no water rudder shown on the full size plane but because the rudder is in the propwash it steers very well on the snow. Photo:
Jim Finn is offline Find More Posts by Jim Finn
Last edited by Jim Finn; Aug 20, 2003 at 04:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2003, 07:09 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Very nice! That's one funky rudder. Does it act as a water rudder as well?

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Aug 17, 2003, 07:24 PM
Damascus Md
Joined Oct 2002
147 Posts
I thought the rudder was positioned like it is to avoid the gunner shooting it off but after taxing it I think it is placed low like that so no water rudder is necessary.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 09:16 PM
Virginia
Joined May 2003
150 Posts
Floats on Grass

Jim,
Seems to me that grass would have a lot more drag than water but I haven't tried either, yet. Have you had the plane (a beauty, by the way) in the water? Also, how about some details/pics of the smaller version. What is size (ws, etc) of both?
Dick
pondflyer is offline Find More Posts by pondflyer
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:03 PM
Damascus Md
Joined Oct 2002
147 Posts
I did have the larger one in the water and it does float! It is 96 oz. all up weight with a 72 inch wingspan. The smaller ,first , one was 36 inch wingspan with a speed 400 motor. It flew like a trainer. Quite slow. It was so light that I had to fly it in zero wind conditions. I hand launched it. and landed on tall grass.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:50 PM
planaholic
Zig Zag, OR
Joined Mar 2003
175 Posts
great looking w29 jim ! looks like the prototype W29. mike midkiff just published plans for the zeppelin lindau cs1 in Flying Models that would make a good conversion to e r/c (very similar plane). I built a W29 from his plans for rubber free flight (30" span), not yet flown. bob
bob the builder is offline Find More Posts by bob the builder
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:00 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,038 Posts
Marc Thomson and Robert Pike use PAM cooking spray on the hulls of their CL 215/415 water bobers to aid grass takeoffs.

Cheers,

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:47 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
W-29, W-31 W-33

Guys,

You brought up my biggest Heart-Throb...Above the CL-215(!)

Have you seen the plans for the 87 (thereabouts) one that was done by a master-plans-drawer (1200 hours intothe plans) and builder, some years back?

I have a color photo of the rebuilt W-29 in the museum in Finland or Denmark; can't find the plans that I had of the Big one.

Hansa-Brandenburg also made a W-31 and a W-33, according to research by (can't find my reference materials...last name begins with an "O")...they were essentially just a larger W-29.

Sweden (or Denmark or Finland) bought the rights to make the W-29, renamed it, built many...put it on skiis, too...never on wheels, only floats or skiis.

I spent about 3 months with a magnifying glass, looking at many photos of the float-support struts, trying to determine exactly how many there are (18).

am I nuts about this airplane? Yep. Just never got around to building the big one.

Ralph, owner of Foremost Products, built a small .25 ic powered one, flew it at Haystack Reservoir (Oregon) about 20+ years ago.

Rudder: Yes, I noted in reading that the rudder is "upside down" so the rear gunner would never (again) shoot off the top of the rudder!

Thanks for the pix - Brightens my day!

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Aug 20, 2003, 12:34 PM
Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2000
211 Posts
Nice!

Jim:

I've been collecting information to build a HB W29 myself! Nice model!

Are your rudder and elevator control surfaces scale surface area? Are they adequate?

For elevator I am planning to use the later version control surface (same as your model) that was increased to reduce control problems on the 1:1 aircraft.

However, the rudder still looks small to me?

Great job on a very interesting aircraft!

Jim C.
Jim C is offline Find More Posts by Jim C
Old Aug 20, 2003, 04:56 PM
Damascus Md
Joined Oct 2002
147 Posts
I put in a lot of travel for the rudder so that it taxies without water rudder. I used ailerons coupled to the rudder to turn. I used a flat bottom airfoil instead of an undercambered one.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 08:22 PM
Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2000
211 Posts
36" Model

Jim:

That makes sense. Thanks!

What is your all up weight on the 36" model?

What motor (Speed 400?), Gear box, propellor and batteries?

She's a beaut!
Jim C is offline Find More Posts by Jim C
Old Aug 20, 2003, 09:36 PM
Damascus Md
Joined Oct 2002
147 Posts
The photo is of the larger model. The smaller one is deceased. I powered the smaller one with a speed 400 with a gearbox 2.33:1 8 cells 600mah nicads. I do not remember the weight but it was too light to fly in any breeze at all.