HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:16 PM
Pattern Abuser
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
2,833 Posts
F3A World Championships - Web Site

For those that are interested, here is the new website for the F3A World Championships.

http://f3a.us/

I have talked to AJ extensively about what it takes to participate in the World Championship. ALL of the competition leading up to being selected for the USA World team AND the expenses for attending the World are all on their dime. Of course they have sponsors for some of their equipment, but travel and expenses are mostly their responsibility. Sooooooo

If you are so inclined a donation is greatly appreciated.
jimflys1 is online now Find More Posts by jimflys1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:20 PM
Pattern Abuser
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
I have to "assUme" you are talking about your slow stick? If so, use plywood and create a new one that is better than the stock ones. Otherwise, buy the black parts tree and replace it.
Rick gives good advice here, but if you want I have extra "trees" with the parts your looking for. They are yours for the asking.....

Cheers,

Jim
jimflys1 is online now Find More Posts by jimflys1
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Is there anyone here into antiques or the antiques scene? I've been given a bunch of old stuff to try and get rid of, mostly junk really, but some stuff that might be of interest to collectors.

Any local forums or anything that anyone is aware of?

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:36 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,839 Posts
One name. Bill
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:53 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2010
3,532 Posts
Pat a great place to determine value is to search eBay for similar items. Try to only look at "completed sales" as anyone can ask what they want but, what they are actually getting is buried in completed sales. It's part of search tools. Also, remember condition normally trumps rarity except in cases of extreme rarity or "one of a kind" items. have fun. email if you come across anything you can't get a handle on.
12345 is offline Find More Posts by 12345
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:59 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,306 Posts
Bill's the man here! He might disagree but whether its restored or not. Sadly I know this first hand. Number of years ago I came accross an antique rocking chair. When I tried to drop it at a consignment place they told me it had been repaired and refinished. Worth very little.
neck is online now Find More Posts by neck
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:16 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,839 Posts
Pat, did you get any Stompers in the deal?
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:20 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2010
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
Pat, did you get any Stompers in the deal?
I love stompers Get any vinyl records? toy robots?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:44 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,248 Posts
Ok, started this topic under Neck’s CRASH thread. Figured I’d move it over to the proper location.
A small discussion started about when to flare, how much and for what type of aircraft.
I primarily fly a T-28, A-4 EDC, and the Hyperion Stuka. Have no issues with tric gear aircraft even new ones like my A-4 (my first EDF).
On the Stuka, I have had over 30+ successful landings most of which were not pretty. The good ones, without stalling or bouncing or coming in flat, are more because of luck (I think because I can’t duplicate them 3 or 4 times in a row).
So that’s the background.

Matt (the youngen) :-), replied that when I land the Stuka, I should not really flare at all but just to bring it in nice and level. I have seen that to be true, in my ideal landings. I was straight and level in my approach all the way on to the runway.
In cases when I do flare the Stuka its because I “feel” I’m way to fast and need to slow it down before the initial touchdown.
Problem is, I just can’t seem to find that balance between to much speed and not enough speed on my landings with the Stuka.

This leads me to a second question. I know that flaps are used to slow down a plane and at the same time provide lift so the plane doesn’t drop like a rock. But at what conditions does one need/should use flaps and how much? And when do you drop flaps, on downwind, crosswind, or final approach?
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:24 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
I love stompers Get any vinyl records? toy robots?
I not only have vinyl (some LPs and 45s), I got an old player too. Haven't done any research yet.

Also got an old Kelsey Mercury 5X8 printing press. Needs some cleaning up, but with that and all the accessories, looks like maybe a couple grand worth of stuff.

Lot's of other stuff too that I haven't gone through yet. I'll let you know what I got for vinyl Bill.

Pat
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:48 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Some of the LPs I have:

The Rolling Stones - Out of Our Heads (Mono, 1965)

The Rolling Stones - December's Children (Stereo, 1966)

Paul McCartney - McCartney II

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

And a bunch of no-name 45's.

Oh, and it's not a record player I have. It's an old reel-to-reel.

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Jun 28, 2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:57 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlodek9 View Post
Ok, started this topic under Neck’s CRASH thread. Figured I’d move it over to the proper location.
A small discussion started about when to flare, how much and for what type of aircraft.
I primarily fly a T-28, A-4 EDC, and the Hyperion Stuka. Have no issues with tric gear aircraft even new ones like my A-4 (my first EDF).
On the Stuka, I have had over 30+ successful landings most of which were not pretty. The good ones, without stalling or bouncing or coming in flat, are more because of luck (I think because I can’t duplicate them 3 or 4 times in a row).
So that’s the background.

Matt (the youngen) :-), replied that when I land the Stuka, I should not really flare at all but just to bring it in nice and level. I have seen that to be true, in my ideal landings. I was straight and level in my approach all the way on to the runway.
In cases when I do flare the Stuka its because I “feel” I’m way to fast and need to slow it down before the initial touchdown.
Problem is, I just can’t seem to find that balance between to much speed and not enough speed on my landings with the Stuka.

This leads me to a second question. I know that flaps are used to slow down a plane and at the same time provide lift so the plane doesn’t drop like a rock. But at what conditions does one need/should use flaps and how much? And when do you drop flaps, on downwind, crosswind, or final approach?
On my 60 size P-47 I use full flaps and usually drop them towards the end of the downwind leg, just prior to making my turn for base. However if you're not used to flaps then I would drop them on your final approach to avoid getting too slow in the turns. Flaps are certainly something that has to be gotten used to, a lot of times you will think you are going too slow with flaps and you're gonna stall, but you really actually have sufficient airspeed to keep the wing flying and the control surfaces effective. Also you need to determine what the airplane is going to do when you drop the flaps, a lot of planes like to balloon up, which requires you to either hold elevator when your flying with them or put an elevator to flap mix in to help you out. And as far as conditions to use flaps in, you can use them whenever you want, I can land my P-47 without them just fine, I just have to come in hotter and it doesn't look as scale as a full flap landing.
M.Huerta is offline Find More Posts by M.Huerta
Old Jun 28, 2011, 09:33 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2010
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Some of the LPs I have:

The Rolling Stones - Out of Our Heads (Mono, 1965)

The Rolling Stones - December's Children (Stereo, 1966)

Paul McCartney - McCartney II

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

And a bunch of no-name 45's.

Oh, and it's not a record player I have. It's an old reel-to-reel.

Pat
Stones LP's if they are original UK pressings/ they have high value / one "heads" busted over $330 last week - most likely out of my price range. But I'd be happy to sell it for you. Garden variety US pressings are worth what condition dictates $5 to $50. If they are real rough $0 I already have pretty nice copies of both but, I would like to see them
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:01 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
I think both are US pressings (labels say "Made in USA" on them). I'll bring them out this weekend so you can take a look, along with al lthe 45's as well.

I still have more boxes to go through and may find more stuff.

Pat
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:05 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2010
3,532 Posts
excellent
Last edited by 12345; Jul 22, 2013 at 06:55 PM.