HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2011, 05:45 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Discussion
Ryan PT-20a/PT-21/PT-22

I've been looking for a Ryan PT with radial engine for some time now. Someone else looking for one posted on Peter Rake's "What's Next?" thread, so I thought I'd post what I've been able to find here.

While I am looking for a PT-22, I am OK with something that evokes the same feeling so there are some STA's listed as well.

Current planes are to build Rake's Ryan's Daughter as a stand very far off model that resembles the PT-22. I may angle the wings if the build goes well, hard to say as I'm very new to balsa builds.

Please feel free to post any other leads to plans or even better kits.

Here's what I've found so far:
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Sep 02, 2011 at 12:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:03 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
A couple of threads:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643921

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=557165&page=9
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:40 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
Profile Publications (out of the UK) #158 is the information on the Ryan PT/ST series of aircraft, if you can find them anywhere. I have an OLD zerox copy that I got somewhere, years ago.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:20 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
Profile Publications (out of the UK) #158 is the information on the Ryan PT/ST series of aircraft, if you can find them anywhere. I have an OLD zerox copy that I got somewhere, years ago.

Les
I have an original Profile # 158. If you want a scan emailed to you, let me know.
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:55 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Hey guys thanks for your offer. I thought there was one on ebay but it is not there. A scan would be great.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:47 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,929 Posts
And you forgot the Great Planes STA. They have the large ARF and the smaller kit (48"). I built the smaller one many years ago (NiMh and geared buggy motor) and flew it for a few years (picture is when still 'young'). I replaced it with a Ryan's Daughter. Recently retired the RD. One of the few planes that I never crashed. You'd need to change the fuse a bit to make it a scale Ryan, but, it could be done.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Thanks, I didn't know about the GP STA. That's sharp. I intentionally ignored the NirtoPlanes and HobbyKing STA (the first is out of my budget, but nice, the latter is ugly).

I bought Ryan's daughter last year (which is why I didn't volunteer to prototype the PT-22 on Peter's thread). Just finishing up some projects first.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:46 AM
Semper Fly
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Oct 2004
133 Posts
Kdahlhaus,

I'm the one who made Pete a very generous offer to consider the PT 22 on his what next thread.

I looked at Ryans Daughter a while back and it just wasn't what I wanted. I found a kit (forgot the manufacturer) a few years ago but it was 100". Way too big for my space and tastes.

The Brodak looks interesting especially if it is a kit. Lots of potential to lighten and modify for electric.

The Nexus would fill the bill but I'm not familiar with their kits. I did a search to see if any one built one and came up empty.

I have a couple of Peter Rake free plans from some of the British mags, and with his reputation for excellent building and flying kits I will wait and see what happens. If not right away maybe in the near future

I have a PT 19, House of Balsa or Pica (I'm too lazy to locate it in the Pile "O" Kits). Seems like a good glo to electric conversion.

I guess the bottom line is I've been waiting for years to find an accurate rendition of this plane soooo waiting some more won't hurt.

Scott
Marineair is offline Find More Posts by Marineair
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:37 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Scott, sounds good - the PT-19 might hold you over until a real PT-22 comes along. It's not listed anywhere that I've seen, but Brodak also sells an aluminum spinner for their kit.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:33 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
Thanks, Pete, but I've done my buildng on that, and with the internet being what it is these days, it seems that with Google, one can find just about anything with merely a key stroke.

I do apprectiate the offer, though.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:39 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,893 Posts
I am a Ryan fan and have the Hafke plan and have built the 48" GP Ryan and Herr Ryan.

If I were building one of these at 66" span or less, I would use the Hafke plan and shrink it if needed. It's well done, very scale outline. However it does not have flaps as I recall, and lacks fine scale detail. If I wanted a really scale one, I'd buy and refer to the Bates plan. It is quite large but really well detailed.

I would not mess with the 48" GP Ryan. It flies well but is heavier than it needs to be, the gear are not scale and are in the wrong position, and the fuse outline deviates significantly from scale.
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:39 AM
Semper Fly
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Oct 2004
133 Posts
Kdahlhaus,
I haven't looked at my PT19 kit for quite a while, kind of on my cousins nextdoor neighbors back burner if you know what I mean.

I looked at Taleheavy's build and noticed you, Taleheavy, and JRB have some nice 3 views.

Would it be possible to get those a bit bigger and individual scans?

The ever honorable Mr Rake is considering doing my PT22 request and has asked for some 3 views. My 3 views look like something I might scoop up while walking his dog.

Let me know if it something you could help out with.

Thanks,
Scott

PS Don't make me paint two houses and walk two dogs! Please!
Marineair is offline Find More Posts by Marineair
Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:59 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Scott, sure thing. I'll collect them and put them up somewhere for you. Stay tuned.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined May 2009
604 Posts
PT-22/Ryan info

kdahlhaus, Scott

I've gathered some stuff over the last weeks or months on the PT-22, a three-view or two. one of these is a color four view I think - two or three different plans on the Ryan of one version or another. Some of the Ryan plans are pretty detailed and would really make a nice project for someone with a passion for the plane.

This stuff may be something you've already seen, or maybe not. When I get home to my computer I'll post it for you to take a look at. Maybe something will be of help to you.

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:36 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
David,

Sounds good. If you don't mind, could you post it as a zip file attachment? This way the files will not be scaled down by the forum software.