HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Boomer1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:59 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Discussion
Switch arrived - with a small problem

Here is the latest. I got the plane last Weds. ahead of schedule. Opened the box with excitment, thinking if I got right on it, I could get it assembled in time for late afternoon flight tests.

I was very pleased with the packaging and the appearence of the planes parts. Some foamies are bit rough, but the Switch is not. I had downloaded the set up instructions and read them prior to the planes arrival, so I was ready to rock 'n roll.

I layed all the parts out on my work area, inspecting each peace for potential problems, or flaws. Everything was as it should be, or so it seemed. During my research I read as much as I could find on this plane, I remembered a comment made by a fellow that had purchased a Switch, got it home, inspected it and then put it all together. On his first flight just after take off, the motor mount pulled off of the fire wall.

He got it to the ground with out any damage. Upon close inspection, he realized the factory had not bonded the motor mount properly to the fire wall.
It was basically just pushed into the slots, being held only because the parts had a tight fit, but not tight enough without epoxy to hold it in place.

To get right to the point, I pulled the cowling off, wiggled the motor mount and quess what happened, it pulled right out of the pressed in slots in the firewall. One of the tabs was broken off, and glued into the firewall, the other three tabs hand little or not epoxy to hold in place.

I could have repaired it, but decided to returned for an new one. Armed with this knowledge, when the new plane arrives, I will check every seam and bond point to insure, there are no voids in the seams and make sure the plane flight ready.

I am not down on the plane, just the assembly person and the inspector. Having seen the plane first hand, I am very happy with my purchases and appreciate Tower Hobbies customer service attitude.

Should have the replacement plane in about a week and half. I will
update the blog, once I have the plane in the air.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 27, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts