Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
PS: Were my installation instructions correct?
ftherrmann is offline Find More Posts by ftherrmann
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Here's some more info from a FPV flight that I recorded. The altitude and gps info on the OSD display may be of some use.

Here's the Youtube link:
First Person View (FPV) Flying from RCRC in Huntsville, AL (3 min 59 sec)

Fred
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
Hi Fred,

I don't think that shadows in a sim-scenery are a nice improvement.
They are essential.
E.g. for estimating the height of a plane above the ground.

Roughly built crash-objects are destroying the main purpose of a simulator: To simulate reality. If you crash in clear sky when you don't expect it, then the simulation becomes annoying.

Here you can see the first steps how to adjust such important areas:

RCRC_Skylines (4 min 25 sec)

The next steps are creating alphamasks for translucent bushes.

Yes, your installation instruction was correct.

Harald
EPPforFUN is offline Find More Posts by EPPforFUN
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Harald,

Are you running XP? For some reason I've never seen the preview that's shows at the top left of your Creator video. I also have strange things happening like the Sun position will never save correctly. I place the Sun, save the file and reload and the Sun is gone again. Either Creator runs flaky on Win7 or something else is going on.

My impressions so far is that Creator is a really "flakey/buggy" program based on the inconsistant way it runs. However it looks totally solid in your video.

You've obviously mastered Creator. Could just be that I don't know what I'm doing.

Does your Sun object save and re-appear when you reload the site into Creator? I also had some strange experiences with "foliage" objects. That's why I ended up making everything a "gravel" object.

I don't remember reading anything about alphamasks. Is that a method for making an object like the fence semi-translucent?

Can you lay additional planes with "grass" texture upon the concrete ground plane layer?

Looks like your doing a great job! Can't wait to load it up when your ready.

Fred
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
Fred,

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. The small window which you call "preview" is the "Second view"- window which you easily can access through "View->Second view" It allows you to handle the basic ground-levelled points of Skyline-objects in z-axis which is not useful in panorama-view.
Referring the sun: Yes, the sun position is saved and can be loaded again.
Your'e right with "foliage". I don't use this material.
Alphamasking is a very tricky technique which I once learnt from Detlef Jacobi, "Master Of Phoenix Scenery Construction" in many Skype-sessions.
Main program to be used is Gimp.
I have uploaded 9 steps of scenery-construction of Detlef and me to your Dropbox-folder.

Yes I could put some grass-layers in your scenery but I prefer constructing with height maps.

Unfortunately I am through with Creator. So I don't intend messing around with this ever-lasting BETA.

But I can help if you can't proceed. Call me in Skype.

Cheers

Harald
Last edited by EPPforFUN; Nov 29, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Harald,

Ok,, that makes sense now. You're not using Creator because of the same reasons I think it's a buggy program. Please proceed to "work your magic"!

I've probably spent much less time with Creator, but the time I've spent with it was very frustrating.

Please let me know when your finished with RCRC.

Thanks,

Fred
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
As you know I'm new to "dropbox". I just looked inside my dropbox folder and didn't see anything new. Maybe you just haven't had time to drop it yet?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
You have a PN.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Pn???? Maybe that was a PM??? I'll check..
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Harald,

Creator is driving me crazy... Das bloete software macht mich voellig verucht! I tried to follow your lighting tutorial and I clicked the lighting tool and a sphere appeared. Then I clicked on one of the lighting selections such as "diffuse" and nothing happens. I also tried clicking on the light bulb picture, still nothing happens. A few minutes later the color picker pops up out of nowhere!

The second view is turned on but doesn't show up until you turn it on/off a couple of times. Then when it is on you can't see anything but a green surface with a grid. I've tried right/left/ctl clicking within the second view box but nothing happens???

I'm using my Astronomy computer which is a Win7 64 bit like yours. A very capable computer with 4 dual cores. Everything else I run on it runs like a charm, except this crazy Creator program. My guess is that Phoenix has probably given up on it just based on the number of bugs Ive seen..

Fred
Last edited by ftherrmann; Nov 29, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Harald,

I just installed Creator on an older XP machine I have. I read your lighting tutorial and followed it.

Creator does place a sphere at the bottom of the scene.

However there is not a square labeled "sun position".

Given that I could not find a sun position square I tried moving the sphere to various sky positions to see if I could produce a shadow. However nothing I did would produce a shadow in Phoenix. I also tried changing the color, shape of the sphere to cube, pyramid ect. Still no shadow.

When I reload the site into Creator and select lighting the sphere is back at it's default position even though I saved it previously.

What am I doing wrong?

Are you using the same beta version that I'm using? I'm using the latest 2.5b release.

Fred
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
How do you bring the main scene into the smaller preview box as you showed in your video?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
I found the magic space bar for the preview box... Now I'm trying to find out which key to hit in order to add additional points to the skyline.. Hitting the edit/add button doesn't do much..
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
just figured out how that you have to add all you points at the initial creation of a skyline object.

I'm unable to open up your alpha mask pdf file. adobe says the file is damaged.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Feb 2009
64 Posts
Problem: In order to make taxing into the pits look realistic you have to tilt the ground plane up. All the primitive collision objects have to be tied to the ground plane. As far as I can tell this makes it impossible to create a primitive for the top of the shed which is not attached to the ground plane. I have a skyline connected to the ground plane which is not drawn so that you can see a plane crash in the parking lot. However it also appears to fly thru the top of the shed????