SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
I am working on a flying site, the scenery is at California Halfmoonbay.
Panorama image is provided by Harald.
Half Moon Bay is located at WikiMiniAtlas3727′32″N 12226′13″W / 37.458840N 122.436848W / 37.458840; -122.436848,[2] approximately 25 miles (40 km) south of San Francisco, 10 miles (16 km) west of San Mateo, and 45 miles (72 km) north of Santa Cruz. Neighbouring towns include Montara, Moss Beach, and El Granada to the north and Purissima, San Gregorio, and Pescadero to the south.

This is the first "Flying site" which I make, and have no idea about the distances and sizes of relevant objects.
Only the average size of trees might help.

The test version of the Flying site is "ready" at least it is a good slope gliding scenery, the uplifting wind speed is 2 m/sec.
There is a start position for watercraft and heli, but four for fixed wing, one of those is on the remote road, in front of a hill.
If you have time please assists the construction, for several reasons.
I would like to complain at Phoenix Support about the water management of the Creator and the simulator.

I need your help:
1. To locate this site better if possible.
2. Test the Flying site, if sever bugs can be found I might repair.

3. If any of you have experience with water editor or wish to play with it, and try to find the solution please send me an e-mail or PM.
At present the water quality is "low" because the water was "clear"-ed.
The water level is at -32 m.
May be this is the reason that I can not manage the water editor properly.

http://members.iif.hu/laszlo.csaba/Peninsula.zip
lcsaba is offline Find More Posts by lcsaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:16 AM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
Looks good, some issues:

- sometimes the plane could penetrate a rock on left hand side.
- strange: The shadow disappears on water in left regions and the plane crashes before the shadow is at the same level as the airplane.
- Comparing to the methods I used for Reflex the thermal lift looks very unrealistic for a slope soaring scenery. Where is the downwind downwash?

Can you send me your pxq?

Here is a testflight I made:

http://youtu.be/TsK9kvJZbBg?hd=1
EPPforFUN is offline Find More Posts by EPPforFUN
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPPforFUN View Post
Looks good, some issues:

- sometimes the plane could penetrate a rock on left hand side.
- strange: The shadow disappears on water in left regions and the plane crashes before the shadow is at the same level as the airplane.
- Comparing to the methods I used for Reflex the thermal lift looks very unrealistic for a slope soaring scenery. Where is the downwind downwash?

Can you send me your pxq?

Here is a testflight I made:

http://youtu.be/TsK9kvJZbBg?hd=1
Thanks for Your comments.
I would like ask all of you to make some more tests.
It is not the question of proper testing by me, as you will see there are some basic problems.
I will publish the PXQ but after the correction of the trivial mistakes.
To keep track of the development I will assign version numbers to the flying sites and make projects for each version.

To explain some effects, I would like to ask You to make some more tests.
1. Make a video using Aerobatic Slope Soarer, at Coutriside Hill.
2. Make a video using Slope Soarer at Peninsula.
3. And just for fun, using Beast and Motebello Castle (official) fly acros the hill (use binocular) under the surface.

NOW proceed step by step.
You said: "The shadow disappears on water in left regions and the plane crashes before the shadow is at the same level as the airplane."

This effect was noticed by Puzom while we made Tortuga.
This is a bad feature of the Simulator (not the Creator).

This is the "double shadow" effect. (I am going to complain about this at Phoenix)
There is a shadow on the water surface and a second on the object below the water. It is disturbing if that object is a plane or a h-map.

Here the water quality is "low" therefore there are no shadow on the water surface, (I consider this as a bad feature of the Simulator) but there is on the surface of the plane below the water.
What You see is the shadow on a "plane" at 5 meters below the surface.

Now this is a design decision.
1. If the plane is deleted, no shadow at all.
2. If there is plane about 1 metre below the surface, there will be shadow, the effect will be less noticeable as before.

NEW Part: I have tested this solution and it is almost good. The shadow is almost realistic, the watercraft can start, only some debris at crash remain on the surface.
3. If the plane is less than 1 meter (who knows exact figure) the shadow might be realistic, but the crashing model might not sink, and the start position will be bad, the model will be jumping.
At present in my new version there is no plane, but you can have an other decision.

OTHER:
Could you send me a screen shot of the penetrating model?
I will work now on a problem which is not very nice.
This is the Montebello Castle effect. You can fly below the pilot, and so far my solutions to overcome this are not working

More over if the plane is removed, one might fly down to the infinity behind the hill and might do the same if over the 1 square kilometre water surface. I had to test this now.

I will explain the uplift business in my next comment, as short as I can, otherwise this might be a novel.
Last edited by lcsaba; Oct 26, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Thanks for the new fields guys! Nice to see new stuff is still being created. Sadly bit busy now myself so not much PhoenixRC creations from me.

Cheers!

------------------------------------------
Feel free to make a donation for my Phoenix R/C work:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...NonHostedGuest
------------------------------------------
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Peninsula is ready.
Info can be found at Readme.txt
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsaba View Post
Peninsula is ready.
Info can be found at Readme.txt
I have to quote myself because You are too busy.

I had to make a new version.
I would appreciate very much if some of you can test it, and point to the problems, perhaps can be corrected.
There is a new surface at the left side, and by chance I got a small patch of "high" quality water, the usage of it can be found at Readme.txt.
http://members.iif.hu/laszlo.csaba/PeninsulaM.zip
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
It seems to me that you are not very enthusiastic about slope gliding sites.
The final version is ready, thanks to EPPfor FUN.
He could provide to me the blueprint of ReflexXTR simulator scenery: Peninsula he has made, and a test video.
By this way I could make a reasonable flying site. The power of Reflex is higher than that of Phoenix, at least in this respect.

Video:
PeninsulaC V3 Testflight (3 min 49 sec)

The download address as usual: http://members.iif.hu/laszlo.csaba
All previous versions are deleted.
Last edited by lcsaba; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Feb 2009
67 Posts
I need some help with Phoenix Creator....

I've created what I think is a good looking pano of our flying site (RCRC in Huntsville, AL) however I can't figure out how to keep Creator from mapping the runway onto the side cube faces. I have a link to all of my files if someone out there would like to take a look at them.

I've considered warping the equarectangular image to keep the runway in the bottom cube face, but that seems kind of extreme.

Any help would be appreciated! I've contacted the Phoenix people several times but am getting little if any help.

Thanks,

Fred
ftherrmann is offline Find More Posts by ftherrmann
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:52 AM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
Hi Fred,

if you send me the link, I'll take a look at your files.

Best regards

Harald
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:58 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftherrmann View Post
I've created what I think is a good looking pano of our flying site (RCRC in Huntsville, AL) however I can't figure out how to keep Creator from mapping the runway onto the side cube faces. I have a link to all of my files if someone out there would like to take a look at them.

I've considered warping the equarectangular image to keep the runway in the bottom cube face, but that seems kind of extreme.

Any help would be appreciated! I've contacted the Phoenix people several times but am getting little if any help.

Thanks,

Fred
SORRY I see that Harald responded, while I was composing this message

If I see the equirectangular image I might tell you what is the problem.
Phoenix for me is not responding at all.
Now I (we) are considering to write them, because at the course of Peninsula development great many defficiences of the Creator and simulator became clear.

On the other hand if you download our Tempelhof flying site, (see my download adress) or homepage of EPPforFun:
http://www.szenerien.de/
you can see the runway there. If you wish I can send you the PXQ, and having the Flying site "high" folder you can see the runway at Creator
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Feb 2009
67 Posts
RCRC Phoenix Creator Files

Harold and Laszlo,

I did look at your Templehof site and it looks "similiar" to my flying site. Here is a url to my server. All of my Creator files are contained in the zip file. Thanks for the help!

Fred

http://fth.bounceme.net/rcrc.zip
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Feb 2009
67 Posts
Additional information

The runway at the RCRC site is 150m long and 15m wide. The horizon is also not perfectly flat. There is a slight wave in the horizon which is real and not an artifact of the pano.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:51 AM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
Hi Fred,

can you upload your files to Dropbox?

You have a very slow server, and I would have to download for 2,5 hours.

Quote:
2 Stunden, 35 Minuten verbleibend 2,7 von 252 MB (31,7 KB/s)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPPforFUN View Post
Hi Fred,

You have a very slow server, and I would have to download for 2,5 hours.
May I propose something?
To judge the situation we need only an equirectangular image, (12868 pixels wide (half of that is enough)) 95% JPG.
This is not too big.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:49 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
1,5 hours left - 109 of 252 MB - 26,4 KB/s - I remain on this DL.