HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDACALVARIO View Post
This is it. Lights already fixed. The positions i dont know how maybe i can add a bridge or something for choppers what you think?

http://www.mediafire.com/?8g8l70l5j7dl0lc
Thanks, I have downloaded, tested, modified, the heli start is OK. for small, but bad at scale at present. Only Apache is so sensitive.

It is better, if not compulsory, to have separate start positions for fixed wing and heli.

As to the h-maps: congratulation, this is a great job.

The skylines are OK. But can be defined only above the "0" level (as you did). I will add at the back, and duplicate all, make alpha cubemap.
If better I will send to you the PXQ. Some time is needed. I have other obligations.
I will se if water can be added.
lcsaba is offline Find More Posts by lcsaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsaba View Post
Thanks, I have downloaded, tested, modified, the heli start is OK. for small, but bad at scale at present. Only Apache is so sensitive.

It is better, if not compulsory, to have separate start positions for fixed wing and heli.

As to the h-maps: congratulation, this is a great job.

The skylines are OK. But can be defined only above the "0" level (as you did). I will add at the back, and duplicate all, make alpha cubemap.
If better I will send to you the PXQ. Some time is needed. I have other obligations.
I will se if water can be added.
Thanks brother, i have add water at the lake bottom, clear water check for it.
BANDACALVARIO is offline Find More Posts by BANDACALVARIO
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Hi guys,

We've started indoor flying in our part of the UK already and are using a hangar at the airport. I took a pile of photographs there one night to create it for the sim but I can't get my ground plane to actually be on the ground or in scale know matter what way I turn it. I previously took the runway and the ground plane was fine but collision objects were a problem because off the scale but at least it was flyable.

The basic problem is that when I lay the ground plane it seems to lay it at an angle. The planes actually roll as if the ground was sloped! I've tried re-positioning the height of the photograph in Photoshop before creating the cube faces which helped slightly but it still isn't right. Has anyone else had that problem? Is it possible to create a floor some other way?

Thanks

Stevie
Stevies is offline Find More Posts by Stevies
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevies View Post
Hi guys,

We've started indoor flying in our part of the UK already and are using a hangar at the airport. I took a pile of photographs there one night to create it for the sim but I can't get my ground plane to actually be on the ground or in scale know matter what way I turn it. I previously took the runway and the ground plane was fine but collision objects were a problem because off the scale but at least it was flyable.

The basic problem is that when I lay the ground plane it seems to lay it at an angle. The planes actually roll as if the ground was sloped! I've tried re-positioning the height of the photograph in Photoshop before creating the cube faces which helped slightly but it still isn't right. Has anyone else had that problem? Is it possible to create a floor some other way?

Thanks

Stevie
You could use a height map. Resize as needed. Presing "Control" you can turn any axis to fit your site. Also i learn here some days ago while pressing "space" you could see "top side view" you could see the whole area
BANDACALVARIO is offline Find More Posts by BANDACALVARIO
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
This weekend I was visiting my old town and photo'ed 12 possible sites. Each one of them got bad and needs lots of Ps hands-on to be useable sometimes, some things are not ment to be
Danny_Swe is offline Find More Posts by Danny_Swe
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

The most reliable object of Phoenix is the "plane" therefore it is strange for me what you are saying.
If you insert a "plane" that must not be tilted. In this case it is an infinite sized horizontal sheet. The model should taxi on this properly.
It is an other question how the photo background is fitting to this.

Have a look at the design of Seaky http://szenerien.de/index.php?option...d=62&Itemid=63

and find the "Altes Kraftwerk in Peenemünde".

You can see there how the hangar should look like at Creator.

A good test of the "ground" is to insert a flat cube, and move up and down.

It can be seen where is it disappearing under the green ground plane.
Push forward and you can see if the ground is tilted.
Last edited by lcsaba; Oct 04, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Thanks for the replies folks, still working on it. Please find below the screenshots I've got. The first is what should be in front off the pilot when taking off but for some reason the "plane" starts at your feet and slopes down. The second shows the slope. Pass no remarks on the bits that don't line up. Some serious Photoshop repair work still to be done! It is just to show the way the ground plane is when I start from scratch - did that just in case my days editing had messed it up.

Thanks for the help. I've be flying with that scenery a lot in the sim - brilliant. Fantastically well done.

Stevie
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:25 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
Hi Stevie,

it seems to me that your spherical panorama is not stitched properly. If you upload your photos to Dropox I'll have a look at them.

Is your panorama 2:1 and the horizon in the middle?
EPPforFUN is offline Find More Posts by EPPforFUN
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPPforFUN View Post
Hi Stevie,

it seems to me that your spherical panorama is not stitched properly. If you upload your photos to Dropox I'll have a look at them.

Is your panorama 2:1 and the horizon in the middle?
I have made a "handmade" hangar.
If you wish I can send all files of it, and the PXQ.
In this "hangar" the model moves on the floor as it should.

You should install, and will see that the case is that what EPPforFUN is saying.
If you have this Test hangar You can change step by step the cubefaces with yours, and will see if those are fitting or not.

The key thing is here that the vertical axis of your tripod (or hand) must be vertical and the horizon should be at the centre of the image of your camera.
This "middle" point shoud be on the wall of the hangar about 1.6 m above the floor.
In the Test hangar, the wall is red. (don't bother about the shadow)
The gray sheet at the foot of the pilote is the floor. The real wall bottom point at the collision point should be 1.6 m down. The wall is at the distance of 30m.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
EPPforFUN

I don't know if the panorama is 2:1 to be honest. I stitched the photographs with PTGui and had a lot of points to add to make them line up and even then it wasn't right. The photographs were all taken from a stable tripod and the camera was at 18mm on a crop sensor camera. Whenever the photographs were stitched to make a decent panorama and took the photographs into Photoshop I painted in the floor. I still have a hole in the roof at one point but I'd left that in the meantime. I've tried moving the photograph up and down in Photoshop before moving it into PTGui again to create the cubefaces. The angle I took the photographs might not be helping - I was aiming at the hangar doors but wasn't centred with them if you know what I mean. For some reason I've managed to create a V in the middle of the floor! Couldn't do it if I tried.

lcsaba

Your test hangar might be very good for me so I could add the cubefaces. If you could share it I'd appreciate it.

Everyone in general: In PTGui what size do you make your cubefaces? I went for 100% at 4000 pixels. Also, how do you open Sneaky's design in Creator to get an idea off how he did it?

This is the link to my photographs in Dropbox. It is a huge file though as it has 115 photographs in it plus my stitch plus a few panoramas which should download I think.

Thanks

Stevie
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:01 AM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
Hi Stevie,

I downloaded your images and found several problems:

1. Tripod not levelled
2. White-balance was not manual
3. Automatic-Focus creates wrong focused pictures at ground
4. All pictures are in landscape-format - portrait-format is needed
5. Way too much overlap
6. NPP can be better
7.Way too many images
8. Automatic exposure
9. Horizon not in the middle of the image
10. Point of view not optimal because of the nearby stairs which have to be constructed carefully as a crash-object
11. It seems that there are images missing in the zenith-area
12. Bad photos are not sorted out

Here you can see my workflow and the result. For Phoenix you only need one panorama.

http://szenerien.de/index.php?option...d=65&Itemid=66

I levelled the first two rows by inserting vertical control points.
The rest has to be done manually.

This is a very nice location for indoor-flight. But your images cannot be stitched properly.
First you will have to learn all about panorama-photography.
A stable tripod is not all you need.
Most important is a panoramahead so you can adjust your correct No-Parallax-Point (NPP).
And a rotator with click-stops which allows you to shoot the photos in defined angles.
Trying to fix those issues manually is much more work than shooting new pictures.

Cheers

Harald
EPPforFUN is offline Find More Posts by EPPforFUN
Last edited by EPPforFUN; Oct 06, 2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
lcsaba

Your test hangar might be very good for me so I could add the cubefaces. If you could share it I'd appreciate it.

Everyone in general: In PTGui what size do you make your cubefaces? I went for 100% at 4000 pixels. Also, how do you open Sneaky's design in Creator to get an idea off how he did it?

Thanks

Stevie
I have something to say to You.
Do not loose your hope reading the comments of EPPforFUN, although evrything which he said is important.

He said:
Most important is a panoramahead so you can adjust your correct No-Parallax-Point (NPP).
And a rotator with click-stops which allows you to shoot the photos in defined angles.

The 3D head is a quite expensive equipment. One reason of this that it is applicable for most, if not all, camera types.
I have made one 3D head and investigated a lot the so called parallax error.
My solution costs 2 EURO and perfect.
If you wish I can make a photo of that.

I have a quite cheap tripod, it is stable, but the dial marks was added by me. It is true that you have to rotate it very carefully, if not you will loose some parts of the pano.
It is very important to level the tripod, therefore it is good if there is at least one water level meter (literal transition) the vertical axis of the rotation must be vertical. And I am convinced that it is important to have at all middle row photo the horizon (normally it is a theoretical line because there are no real plain sceneries) at the middle of the photo.

(( I am using 22-24 mm focal length, portrait setting, 12 photo in one row. Three rows and some shots at the top and bottom.))

By this way the overlapping is good, not too much, the stitched panorama image width (maximal) is about 22000 pixels.

Answering one question, I am making 12868*6434 pixel sized equirectangular picture, because in this case the PTGuiPro tool can make the six (4096*4096) cubefaces as default.

I can not contact Seaky, he is too busy, but I made something which might be usefull for you.

This is a real hall (don't publish, just for testing). I made the floor the ceiling, and one wall. If you hit the wall in front of starting model, the collision is OK.
If you taxi or fly in other direction you will fly out to the infinity.
I am attaching the PXQ, so you can insert your cubefaces, and see the source of your error, and see how to make the other walls at the Creator. I added one box which is bigger than should be, to present how to insert collision objects.

http://members.iif.hu/laszlo.csaba/Test.zip
Last edited by lcsaba; Oct 06, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPPforFUN View Post
Hi Stevie,

I downloaded your images and found several problems:

1. Tripod not levelled
2. White-balance was not manual
3. Automatic-Focus creates wrong focused pictures at ground
4. All pictures are in landscape-format - portrait-format is needed
5. Way too much overlap
6. NPP can be better
7.Way too many images
8. Automatic exposure
9. Horizon not in the middle of the image
10. Point of view not optimal because of the nearby stairs which have to be constructed carefully as a crash-object
11. It seems that there are images missing in the zenith-area
12. Bad photos are not sorted out

Cheers

Harald
Thanks for the comments. I'll have another attempt at the photographs. Sorry I'm only getting a chance to look at this thread now as I've been taking photographs all weekend, just not panoramas like this! As a matter of interest the photographs were taken in manual model (albeit with auto white balance) and with a good Manfrotto tripod with a good head that has the degrees marked for the different adjustments and a level. As I said though I'll try again in portrait and fix set the white balance to manual. I'll probably take the photographs from a different point as well so that I'm not standing as close to the steps and thus hopefully not have as many problems with them, probably directly opposite the centre point off the doors. When I took the photographs I can see now that I wasn't dead on centre vertically (camera height wasn't the same height up the doors) and slightly off when I'd rotated 360. I'll have another bash!

Thanks for the comments

Stevie
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsaba View Post
(( I am using 22-24 mm focal length, portrait setting, 12 photo in one row. Three rows and some shots at the top and bottom.))

By this way the overlapping is good, not too much, the stitched panorama image width (maximal) is about 22000 pixels.

Answering one question, I am making 12868*6434 pixel sized equirectangular picture, because in this case the PTGuiPro tool can make the six (4096*4096) cubefaces as default.

I can not contact Seaky, he is too busy, but I made something which might be usefull for you.

This is a real hall (don't publish, just for testing). I made the floor the ceiling, and one wall. If you hit the wall in front of starting model, the collision is OK.
If you taxi or fly in other direction you will fly out to the infinity.
I am attaching the PXQ, so you can insert your cubefaces, and see the source of your error, and see how to make the other walls at the Creator. I added one box which is bigger than should be, to present how to insert collision objects.

http://members.iif.hu/laszlo.csaba/Test.zip
Thanks, will try this out tomorrow and if I'm flying during the week re-take the photographs.

Stevie

PS. Couldn't wait to have a look in Creator before going to bed but whenever I open it it closes Creator. I've attached a screen shot. Thanks
Last edited by Stevies; Oct 07, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Couldn't wait to have a look in Creator before going to bed but whenever I open it it closes Creator.
I have backloaded, for me it is working.
Is it possible that You have the old Creator version, and this can not open the PXQ if made by the new?
2.5.b Beta? I have a saved: PhoenixRC_creator.phx, if you need I can send it.

There are two types of files in the .zip file.

You should make in your /Documents/PhoenixRC three subfolders.
In the Flying sites, the Projects, and Pictures folders. The name not relevant but name all three as "Test".

You have to Copy/Paste into the flying sites folder all folders and files but the PXQ.
Into the Projects/Test folder the PXQ file,
Ino the Pictures/Test folder six cubefaces from the "high" folder.

If you open the Creator/Test project it should not crash.
There will be no image, select the "Pano" in the Toolbar.
Press the "Auto" button, you will see a green arrow, push until you reach the Test folder, Select "Test#high1.dds".
The pano should be seen, soon.

The Flyig site should work as usual.
Last edited by lcsaba; Oct 08, 2012 at 08:39 AM.