HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Danny Swe or Harald B: There's one type of landing site which is completely missing, ever thought of that? Frozen lake! I remember that one being the favorite choice of most pilots when the winter weather was colder here, 15-20 years ago. At least up north in Scandinavia. I don't think the Africans care too much about it. Is it possible to download a frozen lake panorama set from a third party source and turn it into a flying site? Frozen lakes create great contrasts for RC-models, with the sun placed in the right position. You're getting some amazing reflections from the dark glazed iced surfaces.

Watch the silly (actually it's funny, he deserves the bottle of vodka towards the end for it) video below, I'd love to land on the top of the first lake/fjord scenery here, 14 seconds into the video:

Frozen lake/ fjord environments:
On thin sea ice 2 (1 min 43 sec)
Fatgadget is offline Find More Posts by Fatgadget
Last edited by Fatgadget; Aug 04, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:24 AM
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgadget View Post
What's the appeal of playing this one online? It's not World of Warcraft. There was one guy complaining about being rammed from behind all the time by dirty old men flying Captain Baron von Ritchofen's cute red old Fokker. It's a dating game for nasty old men looking for companionship of younger "butterflies"...
Seriously.....................did you just post that?
Scraggy is offline Find More Posts by Scraggy
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jul 2011
222 Posts
hehe, imagine a turn based show-off type of flying online

Frozen lake! I have thought of that. Would be awesome! Will see if uncle Google has any such panos, anyone? I will try search a little
Danny_Swe is offline Find More Posts by Danny_Swe
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Scraggy; yes, I did post that one! There was one worried young online user being tailed by the "wrong" guys. Life is like that sometimes. Beware of where you check in. It wasn't meant to offend anyone.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Sometimes hitting things is hell, boredom comes as a blessing. Harald B is the master behind these flat and unadventurous landscapes. They are very useful when training on special detailed manoeuvres with helicopters, or testing how the wind affects flying airplanes. Sand provides you with better contrasts and sharper shadows than green grass. These are perfect testbeds for old and new aircraft. I'm using these flying sites more and more.

- Don't forget Orville and Wilbur Wright, The Wright Bros. They loved the wind-swept beaches in North Carolina. Americans too love boredom.

Brilliantly Boring Landscapes: (Panzerwiese, South Africa, St. Peter Ording Strand 1 + 2; they're all available from Harald B's homepage: www.szenerien.de (subfolder Phoenix RC).
Last edited by Fatgadget; Aug 11, 2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:58 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
If you're new here and don't know where to start looking for sceneries, start off with these two excellent flying sites, one nice long green slope in Germany, and one beautiful Japanese lake.

Fischen, Germany: http://rcsim.flugmodellbau.de/downlo...ry/Fischen.zip
Kanayama, Japan: http://dannesholk.se/page/rc/sites/p...e_kanayama.zip

Two perfect fields for starters:
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
What would I need to do to get one of you all to do my local flight club???
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
medic45: You need some patience and a fistful of dollars. Most designers here are quite busy, creating sceneries for Phoenix is something they do as a hobby after work. It's possible to create one yourself, it's not that hard if you stay away from designing collision objects. Read the Creator manual, which can be found on the Phoenix homepage.

Phoenix Creator Manual: http://www.phoenix-sim.com/guides/Ph...es_creator.pdf

Harald B. has made several good videos about creating panoramas for flying sites, check his homepage: www.szenerien.de

Cubefaces in den Phoenix-Creator importieren (2 min 28 sec)
Last edited by Fatgadget; Aug 10, 2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Life is more than an endless walk on green pastures. There's too much of green grassy fields in Phoenix. We need more solid runways, concrete and asphalt textures are also easier to vary. Not two of them look the same. Here are two great runways, Börgönd, Hungary, a concrete tiled maintenance area for old huge Soviet style helicopters, and an American one, Canyon Westwinds, with a fresh asphalt cover. Both are brilliant.

Börgönd: http://members.iif.hu/laszlo.csaba/Börgönd_runway.zip
Canyon Westwinds: (link #76, page 6)
Last edited by Fatgadget; Aug 11, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:01 AM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
Thanks for the info, and no I wasnt meaning like to get it done today or anything..lol I was merely asking what would a person need to be able to do it.. and I love the new asphalt run ways you did. That was kinda what I was looking for.
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgadget View Post
medic45: You need some patience
If you are patient enough you still might make mistakes.
This happened with me. The Tortuga has got a serious bug.
I had to redesign it.
Now the new version is on he sever (Tortuga.zip)

The bug has been eliminated, the water quality is better, all columns (about 60) under the pier platform are modelled separately as cylinders.

During the course of development some features of Phoenix (creator and simulator) have been identified.
Phoenix Support has not responding so far therefore you should believe me.

1. It is not allowed to use the pano rotation function of the Creator (explanation will follow).
2. It is not recommended to use plane or h-map below the surface of water, otherwise double shadow is produced.

The cubemap .dds file has multiple roles.
1. It is a preview image (trivial)
2. It is carrying pixel level "draw" information for skyline objects (not for other objects)
3. The last is new for me the cubemap.dds is carrying information for water quality, what is certain that is objects reflection.

Now.. If pano is rotated the collision objects are not matching the six .dds image files and therefore the cubamap file.

Now we (Puzom and me) can understand why are Phoenix sticking to non-compressed cubemaps.
The alpha and water info should be processed at run time, therefore if the cubeamp is compressed the FPS can be smaller.

The result of this that at the .zip folder of Tortuga two cubamaps can be found.
You can use which you wish, renaming is needed.
lcsaba is offline Find More Posts by lcsaba
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
medic45: Here's another nice pair for your collection. I prefer hard surfaces as well, mostly because they're few and far between:

Reuflying, Thailand (two versions, sunny & cloudy): http://www.mrklaus.de.vu/
Les Aigles, Belgium: http://www.lesaigles.be/~phoenix/LesAigles.exe

Hard surfaces:
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
It would be cool/interesting/dull to turn the Mars 360° panorama shots into a 3D flying site.

Scenery: Greeley Haven, planet Mars
Collision object: Curiosity Search Rover (Price: $2.5-billion)

- Martian gravity is 37,6% of Earth's. It's a good place for gliders.

http://www.dagbladet.no/panorama/mars/

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multime...ives/marsyard/

Panoramic view of Mars released by Nasa (1 min 16 sec)
Last edited by Fatgadget; Aug 10, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
We're still looking forward to Harald B's Berlin - Tempelhof - Startbahn. It looks stunning. Tempelhof used to be the main airport in Berlin, now it's closed, and turned into a public park for the Berliners. Hence the odd looking pedestrians flanking the runway in HB's video.
We were discussing runway sceneries above. This is the one to wait for.

Phoenix RC-Szenerie Berlin-Tempelhof-Startbahn (2 min 7 sec)

Flying Legend - Good Bye, Airport Tempelhof (7 min 27 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bxcb_13xU24
Last edited by Fatgadget; Aug 10, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
This must be one of Harald B's and Seaky's earlier experiments, Bootssteg Docks, in converting sceneries for Phoenix. It would be a great one with updated water textures and some reworking of the trees, masking is crude in this early version. Water is frozen in time here. It's screaming for a water upgrade. Make it flow!

Bootssteg (Docks): www.szenerien.de (subfolder Phoenix RC)
Last edited by Fatgadget; Aug 11, 2012 at 01:29 AM.