Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:44 AM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
More testing of the new version of Bever, it's a good one. It's the only Phoenix field which can make me dizzy. If you don't care much for heights or rollercoasters then this is the perfect one for you! I advice some restraint when creating collision points/objects. Most designers create too many, when less would be more convenient. You can crash into the telephone poles here, fair enough, but the telephone lines are heavily masked and too easy to hit. Very annoying detail. It's more to do with the limitations of the Phoenix Creator than Puzom & Csaba being evil-minded and sloppy creatures. Don't shoot the piano players, they're brilliant, shoot Phoenix instead!

Bever: Kamikaze Test.
Fatgadget is offline Find More Posts by Fatgadget
Last edited by Fatgadget; Jul 19, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgadget View Post
You can crash into the telephone poles here, fair enough, but the telephone lines are heavily masked and too easy to hit
Bever: Kamikaze Test.
Those are cables over the railway. Should be there. What I can do for You, I did.
Now the cables, although are modelled by cylinders, are as thin as possible.
Please test it again.

If you fly over a railway it is easy to hit the electric cabel.
lcsaba is offline Find More Posts by lcsaba
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
They are much improved now! Sorry, I got angry after hitting them several times in a short time. When you think you have cleared the electric cables you're caught in them. Now it looks and feels the way it should be. Another fun little detail is that it's possible to be trapped between the cables, check screenshot #6, the plane's stuck up in the wires, twisting and turning above the railway track. Very neat detail. The Germans are setting the standard for creating quality sceneries. Maybe it's too much work to try and match them. We know what they're like when it comes to working with small details... Say no more! (Peace).

Bever, Suisse: The Cable Twist Solved:
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
The Germans are setting the standard for creating quality sceneries.
Who are the Germans? What's the standard they set for quality sceneries? Please name a scenery of those Germans that meets that standard
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
I call them Germans because they are more than one, and German spelling is difficult.There aren't that many of them around, Bendschneider & Jacobi (With a little help from Seaky, hmm Hungarian?). Indoors: Alte Powerstation, Litermonthalle_Nalbach, Sporthalle_Nahe, Stormarnhalle Ahrensburg, for 3D feeling and accurate placement of crashing objects. You can land almost anywhere inside their constructions, if you miss the spot, it looks right too. Beams, rafters, shelves, floor objects, interior details, anything is modelled in 3D. Outdoors: Luftsportclub Dillingen, Airfield MSC Albatros, MSV Steinberg, MFC Ettringen. Trees and shrubbery look 3D, you can fly behind the branches and be seen through them.
Please check the video in post #151 where Jacobi is designing the house for the flying club at MFC Ettringen. It's the blending of nature and man made objects which is so impressive with their work. Csaba's approach is more Nordic, he loves the rough landscapes to the carefully cultivated (German) fields, he can't wait to get away from urban life. Csaba is an outdoors person! Only his car, which turns up frequently in the background, suggests another life.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
I. Csaba's approach is more Nordic, he loves the rough landscapes to the carefully cultivated (German) fields, he can't wait to get away from urban life. Csaba is an outdoors person! Only his car, which turns up frequently in the background, suggests another life.
I have some remark, it is very nice if somebody explains something, about which ...
(There is a story about a famous novelist, book of whom was explaind by a critic and the response of him was: gondolta a fene, by google: thought of hell.)

1. There is only one cable a horizontal long cylinder. The trapping is a feature of Phoenix sim.
2. I have found a similar effect, which is amasing. Hitting tree the model can roll up and down. I have to test for how how long is this done.
So far the trees bushes were "brick walls" which is the most annoying feature of Phoenix simulator.
3. I am not competing anybody, even I have never downoladed flying sites made by others than PhoenixRC, therefore I don't know what they are doing. Only seaky77's flying sites were studied because we had exchanged a lot of information how to use Creator.
4. The reason for that is very simple. I made some FMS landscapes, later PhoenixRC flying sites, recently, AFPD sceneries at the beginning only for myself. Nothing to do with "rough landscapes", these are our sites where we are flying.
Later I made flying sites for Hungarian pilots at the sites where they were flying.
They are satisfied with my work, because they are using sims to practice how to control, mainly helis. ( I made two specific for a guy who became European heli master.)
5. Some time later I declared that I would make those if I am invited, there are a lot of this type.
6. Later Puzom found the discussion at our FORUM and published my links. By this way my flying sites became international.
7. Just recently Puzom and a Bohemiam pilot asked me if I made flying site based on the pano provided by them.
So far I have made four.
8. I am convinced that the most important thing I have discovered is the use of double skyline, which is a partial solution of the "brick wall" effect.
If you know a flying site where this feature has been used by "those Germans" please point to that.
lcsaba is offline Find More Posts by lcsaba
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
With Phoenix Creator you will always get some surprises! So then: It's the power supply line with masts and ONE single cable above the railway track? It's supposed to be just one? I mixed them up with telephone lines (two, or more cables). The planes hang beautifully between them if you hit the right spot. OK, not realistic, but it looked great when you were suspended up there, rotating slowly below.
Sometimes you end up INSIDE the trees, that is not intentional either. The Creator comes with several Easter Eggs for the designers.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:21 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
I call them Germans because they are more than one, and German spelling is difficult.There aren't that many of them around, Bendschneider & Jacobi (With a little help from Seaky, hmm Hungarian?). Indoors: Alte Powerstation, Litermonthalle_Nalbach, Sporthalle_Nahe, Stormarnhalle Ahrensburg, for 3D feeling and accurate placement of crashing objects. You can land almost anywhere inside their constructions, if you miss the spot, it looks right too. Beams, rafters, shelves, floor objects, interior details, anything is modelled in 3D. Outdoors: Luftsportclub Dillingen, Airfield MSC Albatros, MSV Steinberg, MFC Ettringen. Trees and shrubbery look 3D, you can fly behind the branches and be seen through them.
Please check the video in post #151 where Jacobi is designing the house for the flying club at MFC Ettringen. It's the blending of nature and man made objects which is so impressive with their work. Csaba's approach is more Nordic, he loves the rough landscapes to the carefully cultivated (German) fields, he can't wait to get away from urban life. Csaba is an outdoors person! Only his car, which turns up frequently in the background, suggests another life.

Well I think it's not really nice to say this "With a little help from Seaky".............a little help? I think he did a more than that.............a lot more.
Regarding the other fields you mention...............providing the pano does not mean the same guy also created the scenery in PhoenixRC......
The fields you mention are nice, but not a standard for quality...............ambient way too dark and image quality destroyed by using Creator DDS...........

But I guess we are both looking at the wrong place when it comes to quality sceneries
Look here rc-simsceneries.com

Just love this quote:
"You will not find better flight scenery anywhere than what we offer. It has taken much time and effort, but we can truthfully lay claim to producing the best scenery available anywhere."
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
Pz: Harald B designs mostly for other sims, like the Heli-X and the Reflex simulator. Check them out, there must be almost a hundred sceneries and variations for the Heli-X one alone. The Phoenix flying sites are converted from them, Seaky is credited as the guy who converted several of them from the other sims to Phoenix. We know about Seaky, he designed the most spectacular 3D environment of them all, the Norderney Shipwreck, captured in detail in post #121 and #123. Plus the fantastic Rhein Quay. And the wonderful Warehouse. Patient guy!
PS - The American guy has been around for a long time, from the videos his work looks very simple and low resolution. Big deal, it's the Yankee sales pitch which is annoying!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Pz: Harald B designs mostly for other sims, like the Heli-X and the Reflex simulator. Check them out, there must be almost a hundred sceneries and variations for the Heli-X one alone. The Phoenix flying sites are converted from them, Seaky is credited as the guy who converted several of them from the other sims to Phoenix. We know about Seaky, he designed the most spectacular 3D environment of them all, the Norderney Shipwreck, captured in detail in post #121 and #123. Plus the fantastic Rhein Quay. And the wonderful Warehouse. Patient guy!
PS - The American guy has been around for a long time, from the videos his work looks very simple and low resolution. Big deal, it's the Yankee sales pitch which is annoying!
Yes I know Haralds work......funny thing the Heli-x image quality is higher as they use JPG and not lame DDS compressions...............still wonder why those images are not used in the PhoenixRC sceneries as it accepts them just fine.

The American guy is not alone.............
But I guess it's his way of selling..............boy will some be surprised when they actually bought the sceneries
Last edited by Puzom; Jul 20, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
This one is a small favorite right now, Panzerwiese, a huge brown (well, it's autumn) meadow north in München, Germany. Being a former training ground for the military today it's public space and a recreational area for the local residents. Harald Bendschneider is a truly amazing photographer. (Check out his work for the Heli-X simulator on his homepage linked below. His panorama shots remind me of the work of the French impressionists, like Monet, his intention being to capture the light and atmosphere of the present landscape, rather than the landscape itself).

- Here München is a dreadful place, caught in all its Martian glory; it could be the backdrop of a science fiction movie. The original photos used here were taken by Dennis Bangert, Harald B added his own sky and clouds and finished the project. There's some high tech embroidery behind this one. The light in this piece and the ground textures will knock you sideways. Fantastic work!.

It's unsheltered land and a place for strong winds, check the two fun videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTPli...feature=relmfu

FPV over Munich Panzerwiese (1 min 39 sec)

Panzerwiese: www.szenerien.de (subfolder Phoenix RC)
Last edited by Fatgadget; Jul 26, 2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:44 AM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
Hi Fatgadget,

thank you for your appreciatory words , but this time, the credits for photography go to Dennis Bangert, who sent me his pictures in 2008. He had shot the pictures by hand and the FOV of 360°x180° was not complete. So I had to add one of my own skies. This kind of retouching is always an attempt and the blending area and the whitebalance are the most difficult parts of this task.

Apart from retouching, stitching third party material (second?) is the first big challenge.
As shown in my screenshots I tried to find out, how to level the ground.
Now I see, this can be improved. Look at the roof ridge. It has to be lined up with the image-border. But doing this, the trees are tilting to the left...
Today I would restitch the images and try to fix it. And I would use Smartblend to avoid those blurry vertical stripes in the grass-areas.
EPPforFUN is offline Find More Posts by EPPforFUN
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
Who are the Germans? Can't get over that one! It's a huge obnoxious hairy tribe occupying the forest land between the rivers Danube, Elbe and the Rhine, south of Jutland. Beware of them. The Roman legions hated and feared forests and the local tribes intensely, and with good reason, they were finally massacred up in cold Germania in a gruesome battle, The Battle of the Teutoburg Forest (described as clades Variana, the Varian disaster by Roman historians). (German: Schlacht im Teutoburger Wald, AD 9).
Danke schön Wikipedia.

We had a small discussion above about creating convincing 3D spaces. Now that Seaky has retired and left the building, Bendschneider & Jacobi are the king creators. All these shots are from the Sports Hall series they created, and mentioned above; (links post #147-149). You can penetrate the smallest spaces and be caught up in them, be knocked out of position and it looks realistic. I'm very impressed after testing them for several hours. Just check the screenshots below.

Bendschneider & Jacobi: 3D Test
Last edited by Fatgadget; Jul 22, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:44 AM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
Harald B: Sorry I did not see the watermark, normally it's below your feet! Dennis Bangert is also credited on your download page. I guess many sceneries are pieced together from several sources. The trick is to make them work as a whole. I see the small errors when you point them out, but they're far away and not disturbing. If you've got a big HD screen you would see it better, my machine is a small laptop and quite forgiving. I can't wait NOT to travel to Munich! I love the anti postcard views you create, Munich looks like a science fiction backdrop here.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:54 AM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
"Sporthalle von Nahe" (Sportshall of Nahe) - WOW - great work and perfect construction-accuracy from Detlef, who is just taking a leave of absence from his time-consuming scenery-work. We had a lot of cooperation with endless testflights. Some stitching errors are left, although I photoshopped many of them, caused by using a self-made wooden panorama-head without NPP (No-Parallax-Point)-adjusting. The last screenshot shows the lack of realistic shadow rendering.
I like this hall because of the neutral grey walls, which avoids moiree-effects of planks.
EPPforFUN is offline Find More Posts by EPPforFUN
Last edited by EPPforFUN; Jul 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM.