HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Panorama photo

Time for someone new to try and make sites!? I recently made a little guide on the most important step in the process. Photoing. This is a PDF showing how "easy" it can be taking photos if you just have the right equipment and do correctly (of course it's possible with lesser equipment with more effort).

http://dannesholk.se/temp/rcheli/oth...ng%C3%A4lv.pdf

The swedish text is not really necessary, it's quite self-explanatory. But here it is, google translated:

Quote:
Have your camera on a tripod, it will be possible to spin the camera full circle. And you, EVERYTHING is in, straight up and straight down, too.
Set the stand exactly in the same place where you stand and flies. Start with the camera pointed straight ahead as if you were to stand and look there myself.
Rotate the camera so it will be about 30% overlap with the photos and take full circle. With my Samyang-fisheye is 8 photos in a row if I shoot standing up (thought it was better standing to avoid shoot vertically as much as it is more difficult).
When you come to the starting position, move the camera vertically to shoot the next lap, it'll be about 30% overlap in the vertical direction as well! With my fishing hole it was enough with just one lap top and a row below, ie 3x8 = 24 photo!
In the text it says also that with these photos, making the panorama was fully automatic with ONE click! stitching and everything went automatically since I had good photos. I just did some magic with the tripod afterwards. And the result is in my previous post.
Danny_Swe is offline Find More Posts by Danny_Swe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Great job, Danny! You have passed the Smoke Trail Test. It's almost perfect now. We can't do anything better with our IKEA budget and approach to design. Nice 'n' easy does it sometimes.

Is this the lens you're using? (Samyang 8 mm f/3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fish-eye)

Kungälv MFK final version: (download link, post #210)
Fatgadget is offline Find More Posts by Fatgadget
Last edited by Fatgadget; Jul 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Swe View Post
Time for someone new to try and make sites!? I recently made a little guide on the most important step in the process.

You said this either: "Have your camera on a tripod, With my fishing hole it was enough with just one lap top and a row below, ie 3x8 = 24 photo! "
Reading post about Medlaky, I felt some sort of critics.

I have made about 30 panorama images using one single method, to avoid mistakes.
Having Sony alpha 300 camera, I am making three rows 12 photo each, (22 mm focus), some up and down. This is 40 photo/pano.

Medlanky has been presented, becuse I was asked by the bohemian collegaue if it was possible to create a flying site out of six landscape type photo, covering up and down, only important part of the scenery.
(I am using PTGui Pro, and this six photo was automatically stitched.)

Medlanky is the result of this test.

You can see, that only the vincinity of the pilot is extremly strange, because the grass was made stripe by stripe, mirroring the image.
If pure grass were around the tripod, it would be better.
lcsaba is offline Find More Posts by lcsaba
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgadget View Post
Great job, Danny! You have passed the Smoke Trail Test. It's almost perfect now. That was quickly delivered, very Swedish service pace!!! Is this the lens you're using? (Samyang 8 mm f/3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fish-eye)
Thanks! smoke trail test! haha, that was great for seeing the alpha, will remember that. Yes, that's the lens. Great lens for low price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsaba View Post
You can see, that only the vincinity of the pilot is extremly strange, because the grass was made stripe by stripe, mirroring the image. If pure grass were around the tripod, it would be better.
Yes it's difficult around the pilot. Needs lots of Ps-magic to get good. What's not visible in my PDF-file above is the final cube-file of the ground, there I did some last "adjustments". I have really tried to fix every seam so it doesn't look cloned. Repeated patterns and so on. Looks really budget. Actually I found a last issue on that tree while fixing the alpha also. And sky, have seen some wonderful flying sites but with the sky messed up. A pity.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Kanayama Flying Site (Japan) v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
Thanks for making the fixes, looks good!
Please check the starting points, eg the Icon A5 with Gear crashes on most starting points.
Fixed! Thanks Puzom!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41264390/pho...e_kanayama.zip
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Danny, Viklanda is the best unfinished flying site out there, along with Scraggy's waterscape Ishikari Sea Front. It's Scandinavian rock'n'roll. I'm very impressed with it. Can you go over it and fix it up? It deserves a make over. Dropping points are set too high for most aircraft. There are some odd joints up in the blue sky, clouds don't really match, blue tones neither. Maybe add some collision objects (not too many!). I'd love to see that one brushed up and finished. Pilots will love it!

Viklanda (unfinished): http://dannesholk.se/phoenix.shtml (search Flying Sites for it)
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
sorry Fg, I asked the guy with the photos two times for the photos. But he doesn't seem to care much. So... neither do I now.

But I have another field that are similar, even better I think. Will grab my camera and go there some nice day soon.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:35 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
At least the Henseleit TDR works perfectly well with the Viklanda scenery. You need a vast rough Nordic field with a stallion like the TDR. It's the perfect combination. I love them both.

- Danny, one question about the TDR, you have built one yourself. The landing gear must be too frail in the sim, it's set at 60% and breaks down all the time. When you remove the canopy on You Tube it's built like a small tank, it looks very strong. What's the realistic setting for landing gear robustness?
Do they set robustness down to force you to practice soft landings?

Henseleit TDR + Viklanda =
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:46 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Viklanda F3N - 2. Daniel Tengvall - Final SET.MOV (2 min 48 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:39 AM
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
I think the landing gear robustness is quite ok. The original is quite flexible, not the strongest 700-landing gear but you can land quite rough without problems. The thing in Phoenix is, I think, it's a thin line between break and not break but I just tried and made some different landings and must say it feels quite ok. If I land ok, like IRL then it's no problem, it seems that it requires a quite hard landing to break, I mean, if I image that I would land IRL and try to do the similar landing. If I would land that hard IRL then something would definitely break so I think it's good with that. Makes you care a little in sim too

btw: interesting video you found! That guy have boosted the competition spirit in this country. Next season will be very interesting.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
You have never tried fuel? Do they fly differently from the electric ones? What if they made a fuel Henseleit, would that work out? The TDR is a very elegant and smooth flyer, Germans know all about mechanical engineering. And pricey! They're something like 20.000 Swedish kroner...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
now we're getting a little OT here haven't tried myself. But there are older models like TD-NT which are nice flying machines also, that one have floating flybar. Price is not high compared to other fine machines, it's just a matter of taste I think. TDR doesn't suit everyone, but for me it's really perfect

Well... I tried some new cool sites yesterday, not new, but cool anyway:

We that miss IRCHA this year can fly it digital instead:

IRCHA BFMA (Muncie, Indiana)

Salinas Grande Salt Flats (Argentina)

Playa Tortuga (Cancún, México)

Last edited by Danny_Swe; Jul 14, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:

Well... I tried some new cool sites yesterday, not new, but cool anyway:
Tortuga is only a few days old, so pretty new

Also you got the pics mixed-up

Thanks for fixing Kanayama, better now.
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
ok have now mixed them right Tortuga is new but already a classic!

btw, last time I flew it I noticed the sounds echoed really much on that site. I believe it could be like that IRL but maybe it was a little much echo? Don't know. Or something was wrong here.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
ok have now mixed them right Tortuga is new but already a classic!

btw, last time I flew it I noticed the sounds echoed really much on that site. I believe it could be like that IRL but maybe it was a little much echo? Don't know. Or something was wrong here.
No echo here and not added to the scenery either. We did add a .wav which you can replace with your own. Current PhoenixRC version 4k does not play it, next update should enabled it again......so support told me

So please check the echo again, no other reports so far.
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom