HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Well done, Puzom. Less froth is better!

Alternative Wake: (download, post #191)
Fatgadget is offline Find More Posts by Fatgadget
Last edited by Fatgadget; Jul 11, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:12 PM
Helis and Planes
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Mar 2012
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
I would too, 5-8FPS is no fun.
Hell no. I will say at 60fps phoenix is smooth as silk.
peeve1973 is offline Find More Posts by peeve1973
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Your reworked wake textures are much closer to the real thing, Puzom. Look at the water Cub in this video (also included in the sim, with flying characteristics as erratic in real life as in the simulator, not bad Phoenix).

- the Cub with floats is a wild thing, it flies like a homemade V-2 rocket, watch the video as they both must duck for it. Hilarious clip.

HobbyZone Super Cub LP Flying With Floats At The Lake (2 min 54 sec)
Last edited by Fatgadget; Jul 14, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:16 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgadget View Post
Your reworked wake textures are much closer to the real thing, Puzom. Look at the water Cub in this video (also included in the sim, flying characteristics seem to be almost identical, not bad Phoenix).
Thanks glad you like it. Let's hope they bring back the spray soon, it looks better I think. And yes the Cub is a nice thing to fly.
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
It says "airport", but it's very rudimentay, just a windsock planted on a farmfield somewhere in agricultural Czech Republic. It's rough terrain split in two halves by a bumpy tractor road and quite different from Csaba's other fields. A spray plane like the Air Tractor AT-502 would have been perfect here, there are some fantastic RC models of them around, watch You Tube. Csaba finished this one, others photographed it and designed the panorama.

Medlanky Airport: http://members.iif.hu/laszlo.csaba/lkcm2.zip
Last edited by Fatgadget; Jul 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Checked Medlanky Airport further on You Tube. It's a very long grassfield (3018 feet), mainly for GA aircraft and gliders. Private charter flights also frequent this place. Sorry, it's much bigger than it first seems! It looked like a potatoe field.

Last flying in 2011 at Medlanky Airport (3 min 47 sec)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Jul 2011
216 Posts
Kungälv, final version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Swe View Post
Finally I think I'm done with this (?). Have added lot's of crash objects, positions, windsock. No higher drag in the long grass unfortunately, didn't seem solvable.

This is a special version with different sun, added also a lawnmower man that will fix the field so it gets nice! Not a German, but at least he's flying German

What do you think? I will publish the other version later when I've tried it some more. I think I dig the sun so I will keep that one also
Alright! Have now merged the two versions. The Fg-special version was quite good, but the sun looked strange on my projector so I reworked it as a compromise between the original hallelujah-sun and the blurry last one, this is somewhere in between. Can't have two versions so now there is only one! also rotated start positions so the planks don't hit the grass while lift off. Hope it's ok and that no one's having trouble with the file name with sweden character Ä!? Enjoy:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41264390/pho...te_kungalv.zip

Danny_Swe is offline Find More Posts by Danny_Swe
Last edited by Danny_Swe; Jul 12, 2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Ircha, Muncie, Indiana, is a well known place and flying site in the community. It's home to the annual Ircha Jamboree, which gathers almost a thousand RC helicopter pilots each year for competitions and displays. The field is so big you need golf carts to get around. With all the party tents around it looks more like an American championship in Barbeque than anything else. Charming? Yes, sometimes we're all hungry.

IRCHA: http://www.rc-resources.org.uk/web_media/IRCHA_BFMA.zip

IRCHA 2011 Jamboree | Mikado (6 min 47 sec)
Last edited by Fatgadget; Jul 13, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Kungälv MFK, more testing! It's still a sketch, must be reworked!

1: Forget the Germans, they spend like six months on each project and build everything from scratch from the ground up. We can't beat them.
2: We're building the IKEA version, IKEA is good if you find the parts and corresponding pieces and join them together correctly. It's flat flat flat but just fine. We must try to avoid the glaring mistakes.
3: Space is still confusing in the new version. You have created too many collision objects. Concentrate on the two important ones, the large tree in the high grass field and the club house.
4: Collision objects aren't that important, the important thing is to get BEHIND them, fly in circles around the tree and the house. Disappear and pop up again, it adds to the 3D feeling.
Here you can crash into the house and the tree, but never get behind these. If you're behind them you're still in front of the image. They are flat objects, but we must compromise. (We are not Germans). Ask Puzom or Csaba how you define the areas and make them work with the depth layers. When you add a lawnmower with yourself(?) on, then you must create some space between it and the house, the machine and the club house are one piece now. It's better to remove the Stiga thing, if you can't move between it and the house.
5: Sun is not too Catholic anymore, it's OK. It's the same sun with diffused textures. Not too disturbing!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jul 2011
216 Posts
Yes. I'm aware of that problem with never getting behind the tree it's about alpha maps. Creator doesn't have that functionality built in. You have to fix it yourself with a third-part program. I tried but couldn't make it

You can go behind the lawnmover. Actually behind the guys sitting there also. It's just very difficult to get some sense of depth, but you can look at the shadow maybe. This is not getting easier of course because of the problem above with the alpha channels.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Ask Puzom which program he's using, it worked in his water scenery. You could fly behind the beach bungalows and the pier at Tortuga. It's so confusing if you don't fix it. It could be really great, your homeground. The devil is in the details...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:17 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
@ Danny_Swe:

One good and some bad news:

The good one:
Creator does support alpha mapping.

The bad are:
This can only be done with the skyline-objects which are meant to build the surrounding trees and houses. And these strange skyline-objects can only be created from ground. This means you cannot construct the shape of a tree with the stock of the tree up to its treetop. Nevertheless you can mask the space between the leaves and the stock but by passing this space you'll collide with the skyline-object though. This has not been improved yet, even in Creator 2.5b BETA you cannot put the first point of a skyline above the ground!

Tree-problem good to be seen at 14".
Collision_Objects_Binnenhorst_Lake.mp4 (0 min 30 sec)

Very annoying is the bad resolution of the created dds-files (scenerynamecubemap.dds) of 512x512 Pixel. This video shows the effect of bad alphamapping:
Alphamask-Testing (2 min 7 sec)

Alphamapping can be done with Gimp.
EPPforFUN is offline Find More Posts by EPPforFUN
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgadget View Post
4: Collision objects aren't that important, the important thing is to get BEHIND them, fly in circles around the tree and the house. Disappear and pop up again, it adds to the 3D feeling.
Here you can crash into the house and the tree, but never get behind these. If you're behind them you're still in front of the image. They are flat objects, but we must compromise. (We are not Germans). Ask Puzom or Csaba how you define the areas and make them work with the depth layers. When you add a lawnmower with yourself(?) on, then you must create some space between it and the house, the machine and the club house are one piece now. textures. !
There are a lot of challenges raised in this and some other recently written posts.
I will try to respond to those, tomorrow I may continue.

Now I recommend to have a look at Gödöllö "unofficial" flying site.
There are a lot of problems solved there, (more or less).
First of all, two cars are separate objects you can fly around.
The row of trees is covered by a skyline. The cubemap resolution is higher than the standard. Puzom made the cubemap using PhotoShop. I can make using GIMP.
There is a niche inside one tree, you can fly across.
Tortuga has got double overlapping sky lines, why, I will explain.

1. At Gödöllő the row of trees is covered by a skyline, but if there is a niche, the skyline's upper line must be below the niche. The upper part of this section is covered with a set of spheres and cubes, you can fly across (Puzom requested to mak a solution.)
2. The cubemap of Phoenix (512*512) is not compressed. All of our cubemaps if alpha mapped are DXT3 compressed. We had a 2048*2048 cubemap, but at Tortuga and Gödöllő middle resolution is used (1024*1024) by this way the file size is exatly the same as the size of Phoenix small cubemap.
3. If I am making larger cubemap with Gimp, I open the cubemap dds file created by PhoenixCreator, enlarge it to 1024*1024 and one by one I am replacing the six layer images .
4. If there is an object like a car in front of the row of trees, the car is made out of a set of cubes, various size, and is covered by a sky line accurately set (no need for alpha). If there were need it would be tricky, but carefully selected the alpha mask it can work.
5.In general, if I need depht I am selecting areas where alpha usage is not necessary, and insert spheres or cubes.
6. On one hand, Puzom and me are working on a new flying site, on the other hand it is a pitty, that I got only a week ago the information from Puzom that, Creator 2.5.b is available.
I was happy seeing that a good feature of AFPD is available now for Phoenix as well (Unfortunatelly only for Skyline while at AFPD for all types of objects).

This is attribute chaining for skyline.

I did rework Tortuga and I am using the attribute chaining making the new flying site.
I was so happy that wrote a message to Phoenix because so far I have not seen the possible solutions at any flying sites. If you have sorry.

The message was this :

Having attribute chaining we can make two overlapping sky lines.
By this way various things can be made.

A skyline in front, colliding but transparent could be "lower", other which can be high, above the silhouette, should be not transparent and not colliding.
If alpha is properly set the vision of the model, flying behind the object, will be perfect.
See our (Mike Engel and me) new flying site "Tortuga".

On the contrary, if the colliding skyline is behind, properly selecting the distance between the two, interesting effect can be achieved.

The model will collide inside the tree, as in the real life, and the alpha information pointing to niches between the branches and leafs will work properly.
My firs experimental solution is demonstrating this. (Puzom can post the image).
An additional effect, which for your software designers certainly trivial, but for me was a great surprize, that only those parts of the model are falling apart, which are "inside".
lcsaba is offline Find More Posts by lcsaba
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
216 Posts
This is just wonderful! Glad you wrote about that since I figured out that I could maybe set a skyline in front of my objects on the Kungälv-site and then achieve alpha-mapping automatically (because I have noticed when flying behind the tree-skyline the aircraft disappear, thus, there is alphamapping on the skylines). Great to get it confirmed before I try.

So Puzom makes alphamaps with Ps?! So DXT3 (ARGB 8bpp). No MIP maps?

What is AFPD?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Jul 2011
216 Posts
Kungälv MFK - Final try2 (v4)

Alright dudes! I think I got it sorted out.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41264390/pho...te_kungalv.zip

I believe it's quite nice now. The alphas is roughly shaped but at least it works now! Please don't tell me this is a sketch now!