HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
High on the list as the most perfect RC-field ever, 3D Masters - University of Northampton, England, is just plain stunning. It's an abandoned football field elevated in the middle of a typical English countryside scenery, with rolling green hills, surrounded by neatly shaped but not too tall trees and with some long sleek slopes. Here Phoenix's static weather limitations are a good thing; in real life the 3D Masters competitions were moved to other grounds abroad because of the frequent English rainshowers.

Can you think of something better? Methinks not.

3D Masters, UK: (scenery is converted from the Reflex simulator, we can't upload it here)

3D Masters Curtis Youngblood 2007 freestyle finals (3 min 15 sec)
Fatgadget is offline Find More Posts by Fatgadget
Last edited by Fatgadget; Jul 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:11 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Updated version of the Tortuga scenery available, get it here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=163

Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Last edited by Puzom; Jul 09, 2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:43 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
For those who don't know. In sceneries press CTRL+P to switch between starting points.
Last edited by Puzom; Jul 09, 2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
Puzom: How do you resize (enlarge) the small screenshots?
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Jul 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgadget View Post
Puzom: How do you resize (enlarge) the small screenshots?
you mean like in his last post. Just add an attachment. Then embedd the attachment-URL with [IMG]-code
Danny_Swe is online now Find More Posts by Danny_Swe
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Swe View Post
you mean like in his last post. Just add an attachment. Then embedd the attachment-URL with [IMG]-code
Yup that's it.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Jun 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
REQUEST Is there anyone out there with first hand experience flying gliders, models or real ones, who can make a good and realistic Weather Profile for the HHH Red Rock slope scenery? There are 10 parameters to adjust in order to make it work with this specific flying site. Is wind realistic in Phoenix RC? Please make one, and mail it to this thread. (All your saved adjustments are stored in the Weather Setups folder under Documents - PhoenixRC).

Hármashatár-hegy (HHH) Vörös-kővár: http://members.iif.hu/laszlo.csaba/Phoenix_HHH_V_HQ.ZIP ("Red Rock slope")
As the author of HHH_V I have to tell you this:

1. The slope soaring solution of Phoenix is extremely basic. AFPD is almost perfect in this respect.
2. It has nothing to do with those 10 parameters.
3. It is the "flying site" designer who define lifting parameters.
4. To use this slope soaring feature the "Use field weather" should be selected.
5. I was complaining at Phoenix, that the solution is bad, they said that it had been improved.
6. I have some idea how to improve it. Puzom and me is working on a "flying site" if my new idea is working I might make HHH_V better.

Explanation:
There are no real hills at Phoenix (see Montebello Castle, you can fly below the hill) therefore there is nothing to do with wind parameters.
An area has to be defined and a wind for this area, the wind is a vector. The uplifting component which counts.
The problem is at the borders of the area. Inside there is a given upward directed wind outside nothing.
lcsaba is offline Find More Posts by lcsaba
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Csaba-rama; Mátyásföld, a square and neatly cut field for well behaved pilots. It must be Csaba's own car in the background. It turns up in many of his sceneries. He uses it as a collision object in his works!

Mátyásföld:
Here's an improved version of Mátyásföld. Me and László optimized the images, sharper, fixed some spots and no compression lines in the sky.
If you have Matyasfold_HQ.ZIP installed, it's best to remove it first to prevent issues.
Download here

To fully enjoy it, make sure the file "..\Documents\PhoenixRC\Settings\options.sim" contains "options.default_forceNoCompression = 1" (default value is 0) This will prevent the sim from compressing images. The skies in your sceneries will look better.
Note: it might impact your frames per second a bit.

Cheers!
Last edited by Puzom; Jul 10, 2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
Csaba: Yes, it looked very basic. Weather is difficult to duplicate in a small simulator. Settings are GENERAL weather and nothing else. But I loved the hill you designed. I guess you need a whole team of German engineers to add the right values and make the rising thermals work.

Puzom: Can you make an alternative "wake" or "spray" water texture? A little less flashy than the original one. It would be better if it was toned down a little, there's too much whiteness in it. It keeps flashing all the time on my screen, but maybe that's an issue with the graphics card.
Last edited by Fatgadget; Jul 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
One atmospheric flying site from the desert in Nevada. A low sun is not always irritating. The dusk effects work out just fine in this one. Las Vegas is a special place.

McCool Memorial Field: (searching for a fresh link)

Petes Big A$$ Decathlon (5 min 33 sec)
Last edited by Fatgadget; Jul 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Puzom: Can you make an alternative "wake" or "spray" water texture? A little less flashy than the original one. It would be better if it was toned down a little, there's too much whiteness in it. It keeps flashing all the time on my screen, but maybe that's an issue with the graphics card.
Please try this one. (original included in .zip)
Place "wake_particle.bmp" in your PhoenixRC install folder, eg c:\Program Files\PhoenixRC\resources\textures\water\

This will change the wake color. Spray effect is currently disabled in PhoenixRC, the effect will be back in one of the future updates. (v3 showed a nice spray when moving)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:27 PM
Helis and Planes
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Mar 2012
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
To fully enjoy it, make sure the file "..\Documents\PhoenixRC\Settings\options.sim" contains "options.default_forceNoCompression = 1" (default value is 0) This will prevent the sim from compressing images. The skies in your sceneries will look better.
Note: it might impact your frames per second a bit.
Well I tried this setting and well Phoenix ground to a halt. LOL back to 0.
peeve1973 is offline Find More Posts by peeve1973
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeve1973 View Post
Well I tried this setting and well Phoenix ground to a halt. LOL back to 0.
Yup it does slow down some systems. How are you running PhoenixRC, fullscreen?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:38 PM
Helis and Planes
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Mar 2012
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
Yup it does slow down some systems. How are you running PhoenixRC, fullscreen?
Yes full screen. But also I am running it on an Imac 21.5" running parallels. I get 60-63FPS when set to 0 and 5-8FPS using 1. LOL

I will stick to 0!
peeve1973 is offline Find More Posts by peeve1973
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeve1973 View Post
Yes full screen. But also I am running it on an Imac 21.5" running parallels. I get 60-63FPS when set to 0 and 5-8FPS using 1. LOL

I will stick to 0!
I would too, 5-8FPS is no fun.