Help!
E-flite Mini Ultra Stick vs Mini Pulse XT vs Mini Funtana X vs Extra 260 3D 480

I'm trying to choose among the following sport planes:

- Mini Ultra Stick
- Mini Pulse XT
- Mini Funtana X
- Extra 260 3D 480

Can you guys help me make an informed decision as to their:

* Quality of kit or parts - I don't like a plane that breaks unless I crash it. But crash survivability is definitely a big plus. I want to avoid having to add reinforcements because the plane would just disintegrate if you look at it the wrong way. I also hate having to mod the parts because they don't fit well.

* Maneuverability - It's a big plus if the plane is capable of various 3D maneuvers. I don't like an improperly balanced plane which makes landing unnecessarily difficult.

* Repairability - I know eventually I will crash. But I prefer my plane to be fixable, meaning won't have to throw it in the thrash after a crash. I don't want buying a whole new kit if all I break is a wing side, or a tail.

I'm also open to other brands as long as they are of the same power class, and are designed to use a 2200mAh 3S lipo.

Thanks to y'all in advance!
mediclavina is offline Find More Posts by mediclavina
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 05:27 PM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,111 Posts
I've had them all and liked them all. They're all built light to fly, not crash. The only 3D model out of that lot is the Mini Funtana X.

With a 480 on the front, the Stick is very agile. It will go just where you tell it to.
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:57 AM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,000 Posts
As an MUS owner, I say: forget all these. Go with one of the 3DHS 300 Extra planes. They are great fliers - docile as sport planes, yet capable of the most extreme 3D stuff you can imagine. Truly a plane you can grow with. I have 2 and love these great planes.

If you must do Eflite, then the Funtana X is it. If you want a cheap intro to the MUS I'll sell you mine for $75 PNP (just need RX and batt to fly), though I find it truly an under-achiever in every respect.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:34 PM
Joined Feb 2003
86 Posts
I will have to disagree with you ttrotary. The mus is one of the most enjoyable planes I have ever owned. It sounds like you are looking at it in terms of 3d capabilities and not everyone is looking for a 3d flyer.

I had a mus and currently have a mini pulse. They are both great planes but the mus is still my favorite. The mp is a good sport plane but the mus is more capable in my opinion. You can't go wrong with either of these if you're just looking for a flat out fun sport plane capable of most aerobatic maneuvers.
chopper320 is offline Find More Posts by chopper320
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:30 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,000 Posts
You are correct, I am making that demand because there are planes out there that can do both equally well and it was an important aspect for the OP. So it should be made very clear that the MUS is in no way 3D capable and neither is the Funtana or the MP. 3DHS and Extreme RC planes, by contrast, are famous for their 3D abilities and their flight envelopes. The Eflite Extra only got lukewarm reviews.

As for the MUS, I flat don't like it's regular flight dynamics. It is really twitchy, won't stay level, and is just not that great a flyer compared to my other planes. And it was damned expensive at $189 PNP for what it is. Just my experience with no intent to offend.
Last edited by TTRotary; Apr 26, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:03 PM
Joined Feb 2003
86 Posts
I've never flown a 3DHS plane so I can't compare. I would love to try one eventually. I will say that the MUS PNP version doesn't fly nearly as well as a MUS with the standard park 480 in my opinion. I've had both setups. The second setup I had was the pnp and not nearly as fun to fly.

I never had any issues with my MUS on a park 480 with twitchiness or staying level. It went anywhere I pointed it. The only problem I ever saw with it was that it's not the prettiest plane.
chopper320 is offline Find More Posts by chopper320
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:04 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,000 Posts
Maybe I got a Monday plane, or the quality has gone down. You really should try a 3DHS or Extreme. You'll be amazed at what nice aircraft these are. I know I was. Now I'm just spoiled and expect other planes to fly as nice. The 3D guys are always trading up to the next best thing so you can usually get a good deal on a used one.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Dec 2010
132 Posts
Well, all I can say is that I do enjoy my Mini Pulse, now that I have a few months of flying experience under my belt. That said, if you crash it, the fuselage is not the most robust out there, but then again, $48 gets you a new one, so that is relatively cheap. Heck, $100 gets you a whole new kit. I have had two of them, and have not had any landing gear problems, and I fly on a grass field, and I am a relatively new pilot. Can't comment on 3D capability - I'm not there yet. With respect to batteries... I fly mine with either 1300 mAh 3S or 2200 mAh 3S and it does fine on both. Good luck with your choice.
cheap daddy is offline Find More Posts by cheap daddy
Old May 04, 2011, 11:23 AM
Tail-in hover expert ;)
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Aug 2006
936 Posts
Thanks to all of you guys!
I ended up getting something not in my original list. It's a 41" Edge 540 ARF from 3DHS. It's TTRotary's fault.
mediclavina is offline Find More Posts by mediclavina
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
Thanks to all of you guys!
I ended up getting something not in my original list. It's a 41" Edge 540 ARF from 3DHS. It's TTRotary's fault.

that is to bad about ttrotary's bad luck with mus, as i have one and i also have 3d planes, balsa and foam and im my opinion a e-flite just cannt be beat for
overall sport but can also be set up hot for tight loops and a nice roll ratebut also can be gentle for a newbie, the mus tracks as good as any plane ever could and i have NEVER had problems with keeping mine level, cg could be a big part of that, even if you have a 3d plane and i am not knocking anypnes plane but i beleive you would love mus in your hanger :-)
happy landings no matter what you fly
bigchuck09 is offline Find More Posts by bigchuck09
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
USA, AK, Anchorage
Joined Nov 2005
479 Posts
hey medic, How did you like the 41" edge, im looking at getting one myself for my park 480. thanks
olds455 is offline Find More Posts by olds455
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:57 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
I was looking at those same e flite planes and also ended up with a 3dhs edge. It's an awesome plane. You will love it.
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998