Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 07, 2003, 11:58 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Billk,

I have a Razor 350 in my Tantrum. I use the GWS gearbox with 6.6:1 gearing and a GWS 12x6 prop. I use the CC Phoenix 25 ESC and 3s Etech 1200's. There are no problems installing this into the Tantrum as it uses the GWS gearbox that the Tantrum is setup for. Your biggest problem is getting a Razor 350.

Because of this, you might want to check with Turbo Joe and see what his Astro recommendation is. I need to start researching those little motors more.

If you do decide on the Razor, check with Troy at Bishop Power Products in Chandler. He has these neat little adapter plates for mounting the Razor motors into the GWS gearboxes. They work great. Also, he worked a really nice deal for me on a couple of PHX25's. But he said he is running low on stock of those. Check the web to find the cheapest price and then let Troy know what you found. He will beat it.

Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2003, 01:58 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2003
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SkyPyro
Biplane? Who? Was it Chip's giant pinky one? (The 40% Ultimate)

I would have to say the Razor 2500 with a Castle Creations Phoenix 35 would be your best bet. You will have a good deal left over, too! $200 won't get you in a Hacker without getting it used, though Mine ended up at $257 with a mount, prop adapter, and prop at Adventure. Another problem with getting a Hacker, is that you would have to chop the nose up on the Tantrum to stuff it in there, or buy the adapter from Steven's Aeromodel and add more weight to the nose. Good luck, it'll be nice to see it fly again!

Dan
Looks like I'll be going with a Razor.

I can't remember who's Biplane it was but it wasn't Chip's (he was flying a goldish Extra). It was one of the few planes not running a DA motor, can't remember all the motor details other than it was putting out 22 HP. Really awesome to see it torque rolling a foot or two from ground with smoke on mixing with the dust cloud it was creating.
BillK is offline Find More Posts by BillK
Old Oct 07, 2003, 05:59 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,215 Posts
Bill,

I first flew the plane on the 10 turn Astro and it was great. Very strong vertical. The second flight was with the MiniAC 1215/16. It had marginally more vertical. If I remember right the Astro was in a "C" box with an 1180 prop and the MiniAC was in a "D" gearbox with a 1260 prop. If you go with a Hacker you'll definitely need to run Thunder Power cells so with that motor and battery combo you'll add well over 3 oz to the plane. That much power would be wasted anyway. I'd rather have the low amp draw and the long flight times the Astro motors give me. In addition to the Hacker B20 I just got I ordered another Astro 801P. The B20 is for the SA Ultimate Biplane if it ever gets released and the 801P is for a twin project I'll be starting soon. I'm just not sold on the Razors so I stick with what works and the Astro motors work perfectly for me.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Oct 07, 2003, 06:24 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turbojoe
...and the 801P is for a twin project I'll be starting soon.
Joe
Oh, no, a Twin Tiger Moth is in the works! Just kidding Joe, if it is like anything you have made up now, it will be a work of art, and fly like it too. Any chance on letting us in on what it'll be?

SA Ultimate Bipe, huh? Can't wait to see that. I don't think there is a good model of one on this scale yet!

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Oct 07, 2003, 06:38 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,215 Posts
Hmmm... a Tiger Moth twin. Maybe a later project.
No secrets as far as what I'll be building as a twin. It's the Mini Telemaster. The SA laser mounts for the 801P should make a decent looking nacelle when sheeted with balsa. I haven't even pulled the kit out of the box yet so this is a VERY long term project. Bill Stevens is still kind of dodging a release date for the U.B. but Todd's models has the Phoenix 25's on sale and a good price on the Hacker so I decided to go ahead and get the power package together for the bipe.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Oct 07, 2003, 07:05 PM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts

Heres some short clips. The biplane is in the end...

Kenny..
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old Oct 07, 2003, 07:38 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2003
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rip-N-Burn

Heres some short clips. The biplane is in the end...

Kenny..
We must have been standing nearly next to each other filming. I was right by the 50 gallon barrel trash can. I remember them saying the biplane was 51 lbs!

The clips were cool, you really must see each 4 minute routine though!
BillK is offline Find More Posts by BillK
Old Oct 07, 2003, 07:50 PM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Quote:
The clips were cool, you really must see each 4 minute routine though!
Aint that the truth. That was some neat stuff. I have it on DVD now for ever and ever. Dan and Dan, I made copies for you guy's since you couldn't make it..

Kenny...
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old Oct 07, 2003, 08:26 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Kenny:

Coolio as always. Thanks!

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Oct 07, 2003, 08:59 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Kenny- thanks, that was pretty neat. You could almost see that guy crap his pants when it dropped for a second in that rolling harrier! Hehe.

Dan
Old Oct 09, 2003, 11:33 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Wow, quiet in here!

Think this should be my next crazy/stupid stunt since the toilet paper?
http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4172

Also, I'll have my new weapon of choice out there, the Yak. I taped the edges up, which makes the difference of the plane lasting a few weeks like the last black Tribute, or a few months like the orange, yellow and white Tribute. It's looking pretty nice too, if I saw so myself. It is also two ounces less then the black Tribute! This is going to have space shuttle vertical with the TP packs!

Dan
Old Oct 09, 2003, 11:38 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Where are the pics of the Yak? I assume we're talking about a foam model here since you mentioned taping the edges...

The baloon trick looks like fun if you know how to fly that is...hehe!

Drivie
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
Old Oct 09, 2003, 11:44 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Hey Guys,

I started a new CB V2 thread since this one has grown a bit.

Here's the link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=158276

Drivie
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
Old Oct 09, 2003, 11:52 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Ok, I was surfing RCU and found these two videos. They are huge (60-100 mb), but you will be rolling on the ground laughing after you watch them. Seriously, they are soooo funny! The second one is a bit better.

ftp://bmfk:bmfk@rolf.is-a-geek.com/r...eier_vol_1.mpg

ftp://bmfk:bmfk@rolf.is-a-geek.com/r...f_volume_2.mpg

Pics of the Yak (profile foamie) will come later. I'm still installing servos, pushrods and receiver. After that and getting some various stuff like wheels and collars from the hobby shop, it'll be ready to fly! BTW What connectors do you guys use one your brushless motors and controllers? I was thinking the three-prong Deans.

C'mon Dan, finish your Tribby too, and you'll be hovering in a week! Or better yet, get confident with the Voyager E and hover that!

Dan
Last edited by SkyPyro; Oct 09, 2003 at 11:55 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 08:38 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Dan (skypyro),

Which three pin deans connectors are you thinking about? I have not been able to find any appropriate three pin connectors to connect my brushless motor to my ESC. The only three pin deans I have found have been keyed. I mean that one pin is apced differently than the other two. The idea is to prevent you from connecting the mating pairs backwards. However, I want to be able to connect them backwards. If I plug it in one way and the motor spins the wrong direction, it is simply a matter of turing the connector around and plugging in backwards.

The only thing I have been able to do is use the four pin deans and cut off the offset pin. This works but it is kind of a pain.

Thanks,
Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch