Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 06, 2003, 07:42 PM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Quote:
I know it's not up to Kenny's standards but this is my attempt at scratch building. What do you think? Is it Dandy sacrilege or does it look okay. I think it gives it a bit of Cessna flavor with the raked back "window". Everything is just taped together right now to check fit so it looks pretty ragged. It'll be easy to make it all look seamless when I'm done though. I thought about cutting out windows but decided windows made from covering would be a whole lot easier.
Kenny's standards, yeah right! That is a thing of beauty! She should look real cool with the wing mounted that High. Your going to be using the stock Dandy wing?

Welcome back Dan. Glad your better.

Kenny..
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2003, 07:51 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rip-N-Burn
Kenny's standards, yeah right!
Kenny..
Take a good look at "Lefty". That's a work of art! You are the scratch master. End of discussion.

Not sure which wing it'll get first. It can still use all three.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Oct 06, 2003, 07:57 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Thanks for the tips, guys. I have no idea how I could have built her heavy. It's all thin CA with a few dabs of medium mixed in, Solite, and an Astro 010. As Drivie said, perhaps it's the heavier LG, thicker tail feathers and bigger wheels of the new kit. I'm guessing the extra weight is not too much of a big deal as she cruised in large circles at ~1/4 throttle without much effort on my part.

The heavy "feel" came into play when flying low (~50' and lower off the deck) and landing. I'll move the pack back a bit as Joe suggested and see what happens. If nothing else, she should loop tighter!

Drivie:

Ahh! Wing warp? Nooooooo! The wing looks straight to these eyes! I'm not in the mood to start recovering things.

Sky:

I'm much more comfy controlling with the rudder on the ground and in the air right now! I forced myself to control with the ailerons ~99% of the time today, though. I must "get the feel" for these dang flappy things attached to the wing!

Joe:

Nice scratch build, thus far! Those tail feathers look familiar.... What's your plan for a power plant and control surfaces?
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Oct 06, 2003, 08:17 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,215 Posts
Dave,

I weighed my original Dandy. The one with the 1/8" thick copy of the MiniFlash tail feathers and the steerable tail wheel. It should be heavier than yours. Probably what we are seeing is differences in scale calibration. I'd bet all of ours weigh pretty close to the same amount on the same scale.
Move that CG back and it'll become a whole new plane. Don't overdo it though.

Oh, the Dandy2 will get an Astro brushless of course. Is there any other motor?

Joe
Old Oct 06, 2003, 08:22 PM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Congrats on the good flights Dave!!! When you say "heavy feel" Does the plane seem to nose down at the slower speed? I'm thinking maybe it could be an aileron reflex thing. My lefty took a lot of fine tuning and adjusting the ailerons to get the feel I like.
Either way it sounds like it went well. Welcome to the MM club.

Kenny...

Scratch master!! Thanks for the chuckle.

PS. This DVD burner is awesome. I'm encoding all my videos on one disk, so I'm on the kids computer now..
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old Oct 06, 2003, 08:28 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,215 Posts
Aileron reflex....excellent point Scratch Master "K"
I need to play with mine a bit on the new wing I was flying on the SB.

Joe
Old Oct 06, 2003, 08:47 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Yeah, my rule of thumb for the test flight is not even to shoot for neutral. Set it so both ailerons "hang down" just a tiny bit, just to be safe. It is better than having up reflex, that makes it tough. For instance, my yellow Edge had some up reflex on it's test flight, and it took a real long take off run, finally took off, pulled to a real high AOA for about half a second, the engine quit since it wasn't too broken in, it stalled in, and thank god didn't do any damage. If you have drooped ailerons, it acts "Tiger Mothish." I have about 35* of it programmed on my spoileron switch, for when I get bored. It is fun to fool around with! It is one of the only times you actually notice the control surfaces really moving in the air, too.

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Oct 06, 2003, 08:51 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Kenny:

I did not notice a nose drop, but I'm going with aileron reflex just because it sounds cool and kinda makes sense!

Joe:

An Astro? But of course. I need not inquire further.

daveWCO
Old Oct 06, 2003, 09:01 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by daveWCO
Joe:

An Astro? But of course. I need not inquire further.

daveWCO
My second 801P should be here tomorrow. Hey, I've got to "break it in" on something.

Joe
Old Oct 06, 2003, 09:04 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Guys! Guys! I'm not flying my Edge next week! I'm a...
BETA!!!
Whoo hoo, never been a beta tester for anything! Can't wait. This is for Tim H's Yak 54, you may have seen it on that little pic at the front page. I'm pretty proud of this, since I am one of two beta testers. This kind of puts everything else on hold, since he wants it done fast, and I don't wanna let him down. It looked like it flew a little different then all the other flat foamies out there, we'll find out!

Dave- hope you get it worked out. Also forgot to say, that getting rid of reflex and moving the CG rearward should help the glide tons. Sho did on my Tribute, and I think that is a rule on all planes.

Dan
Old Oct 06, 2003, 09:25 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Beta Tester Dan:

Way to go!

Don't forget us lowly ones when you are cranking out national flying awards.

daveWCO
Old Oct 06, 2003, 09:34 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
You guys are a talkative bunch tonight. It took me forever to catch up.

Well, I stopped messing around and bought a Futaba GY401 for the heli. I figure if I'm gonna try to fly this thing, I may as well do it right! Bought it on eBay from a local fella and decided to meet him at his workplace to pick it up...didn't realize he was in south Phoenix...took forever to get there this afternoon and it wasn't the best area of town either. Made it back alive...LOL!

Drivie
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
Old Oct 06, 2003, 10:57 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Hehe! Think how long it took me to catch up on my threads! It was better then school, though

Glad you made it back, and with the 401! The fellow that you flew on Realflight with a few days back had a 401 (the very one I have now, in fact) in his $1500+ super 3D Fury for a while, until he got a 601. I plan to use mine for a long, long time. One of these times I ought to chuck it in the Tribute and flip on the heading hold switch once I get it up there a ways to see if it really does hold a straight line. May help in knife edge or something. Dang, I need a heli!

Dave- now my head can't fit through the door I can dream...

Dan
Old Oct 07, 2003, 11:51 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2003
100 Posts
Joe's Tantrum

Getting ready to equip it. Let's say I have $200 to spend on a brushless controller and motor. What's going to give me the best bang for the buck and what kind of installation problems will I run into fitting it in? I'm thinking Hacker or Razor but you guys seem all have brushless motors.

I still haven't dumped my Tuscon Shootout video into the computer yet, haven't gotten tired of watching it yet though
That would have been tough to judge. They were all so good. The biplane looked the coolest torque rolling I think.

thanks!
BillK is offline Find More Posts by BillK
Old Oct 07, 2003, 11:57 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Biplane? Who? Was it Chip's giant pinky one? (The 40% Ultimate)

I would have to say the Razor 2500 with a Castle Creations Phoenix 35 would be your best bet. You will have a good deal left over, too! $200 won't get you in a Hacker without getting it used, though Mine ended up at $257 with a mount, prop adapter, and prop at Adventure. Another problem with getting a Hacker, is that you would have to chop the nose up on the Tantrum to stuff it in there, or buy the adapter from Steven's Aeromodel and add more weight to the nose. Good luck, it'll be nice to see it fly again!

Dan