HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2003, 09:55 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Sorry to hear it Kenny.

Drop me a PM or e-mail (if you still have something to access the net from) and we can discuss it.

Drivie

EDIT: Or call me.
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:10 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Hehe, know the feeling. No need to apologize about the language, do you not remember public school? It would be interesting to have someone really analyze Windows __ programs to see if they have something weird like that in there. They are really some of the most greedy jerks out there. I have a ton of old Microsoft programs that could make mucho dinero, but I am unable to legally sell because of them being registered and all that. Can't believe that they would disable your OS that you payed for with real, green money, just because you installed it on your own gosh darn computer in your own house, for your own kids! I can see them wanting to consider that if you brought it down to the CB for everyone to install, but come on.

Good luck on all that.

Dan- 10-4 on the LiPos. I came back in from a looong flying session, and the packs were 9.4XV right off the plane. After 20 minutes, they were back up to 9.94V. Although I think I am pretty safe, I think I will cut back a few minutes earlier from now on.

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:12 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Wow...that is pretty low. How many "ma" did you put back into the pack or is it still charging?

Drivie
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:22 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Still charging. I know, it kind of worried me too. I didn't realise it was that low. I spent a good part of the last flight seeing how long I could drag the wingtip on the long, soft grass at the retention basin, so it was just at minimal throttle. I think I will be ok though, I heard someone say they brought theirs down to 3 volts per cell and it was alright! That is pretty low. I am keeping a close eye on it, I can see it right now Reach,, reach,, yep, still cool, not puffy

Dan
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:04 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
1973 mAh right now, and still charging at .1 amps. I had a little safety margin left, but that was wayyy too close. I feel really stupid right now for letting it go that far. You can bet I am thanking my lucky stars that the pack was ok. Jeez, I don't even want to think of what I would have done if I had ruined that pack. I guess I will have to check the power left every minute or so to see when it gets soft.

On a side note, I got a real job! Well, kind of real My sister hooked me up with the same job she has, selling lemonade at Cardinals and Sun Devils games! $40 a game, plus tips, plus I get to watch the game for free! I can't believe I will have enough for another TP pack in 1-2 weeks! Or, maybe I'll stock up on Solite, glue and balsa instead! Oh, the possibilities when ya got money

-A very relieved Dan
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:11 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,244 Posts
Guys, take a look at the Phoenix programming sheet. It recommends 7.2 volts cutoff for 3 Li-po cells( I know, a lot of people say 9.0) The default setting is 5.0 volts. That WILL kill the cells. If you haven't done the programming then you're playing with fire. I have all of mine set to 7.2 and have actually run two of the E-Tech's into LVC. They don't seem any worse for it. I wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis but now I have a better Idea of a safe amount of flight time I can put on a pack.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:11 PM
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
This may be a must-go event this Saturday, guys:

Huge RC clearance sale in Mesa AZ 9/27
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=153065
AZ_Astro is offline Find More Posts by AZ_Astro
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:18 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AZ_Astro
This may be a must-go event this Saturday, guys:

Huge RC clearance sale in Mesa AZ 9/27
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=153065
Yeah, saw that earlier and thought I might have to make an attempt to get out there and see how to spend my B-day money

Joe: You're definately right about the LVC but the fact is that I've never even come close to 3V per cell so I'm not worried. The closest I've come to running out a pack was letting Dan fly it...LOL!

Anyone know anything about an RC show in Anaheim soon?

Drivie
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:21 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Jim! If my Dad can't get me out there, think someone could pick up some CF cloth? I have wanted to fool around with some of that over fiberglass some time, and I could pay you back on Sunday. Hopefully, we will be able to make it out though. What a blowout!

Joe- I would love to set my cutoff to 7.2, but I am using a Hacker(Jeti) ESC now I have the programming instructions filed away somewhere. I hope it has good LVC programming. I hate programming that ESC, you have to go to full throttle for "Yes", and half the time it does just goes to full!

Time to go lose some fingers..

Dan
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:29 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
You can find JETI ESC manuals at the following address:

http://www.jetimodel.cz/eng/stridave_en.htm

Drivie
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:37 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Grr, no LVC setting on my model. I'll just have to be more careful in the future.

Dan

*Edit* Forgot to say: Thanks anyways, Dan. I found my manual, though. I think that the Hacker ESC's are a little bit different from a stock Jeti 18-3P.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 01:03 AM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
Thanks for posting that announcement Jim.

Dave W. sent me an email earlier asking me to make an announcement for him to you guys. He has a lot of e-flight stuff that he wanted me to make sure that you guys new about. Jim just saved me the work.

I want you guys to know that Dave Wenzlick is the single most important person responsible for me getting truly involved in the sport. When I was just getting started, he went out of his way to always be available to help me. He even loaned me sailplanes to fly in contests when mine were not in good enough repair to compete with. It was a very sad day when I found out that he had chosen to leave the hobby, but even in this hobby, burnout is a factor. I have already spoken to Dave about the vacuum table, so don't even think about it.

This is not a sale to pass up.

Don't even think of not showing. If you work on Saturday, call in sick, or claim car trouble, or that your cat got run over or something, but don't miss this sale.

Justin
birdofprey is offline Find More Posts by birdofprey
Old Sep 23, 2003, 08:05 AM
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
Hey and we can all bring our Slowsticks and fly in front of Dave W.'s house! Just kiddin.

About 25 years ago I played racquetball competitively. Upwards of 6 hours of practice daily. Then one day, I stopped. Off I went to pursue other interests. Played like 3 times in the ensuing 26 years. Coming back to the US after 15 years overseas, I found it was great fun to pick up the racquet again...

Dave W. will be back when it's time, I'm sure.

BirdOfPrey: Can we make canopies on your vacuum table??? Heh heh... Where are those 1 liter coke bottles?
AZ_Astro is offline Find More Posts by AZ_Astro
Last edited by AZ_Astro; Sep 23, 2003 at 08:13 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 08:45 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Dan, Drivie and others,

I saw your posts about the Lipoly cut off voltage. I have been playing with Lipoly's for some time now. In fact, I have a package of 12 Etech 1200's sitting right here on my desk that I just received from Troy this morning!

Anyhow, I have spoken to Dave at Aircraft world. Last time I heard, he was the distributor of Etech cells. He told me that for a 2s pack, the standard CC cutoff voltage of 5V is okay. The 3V/cell cutoff is an unloaded voltage. Also, there is some padding in that number. You can drain them down a little further than that but you are playing with fire if you do (hopefully not literally). This means that you can drain the cells safely down to 2.5V/cell when under load. As soon as the load is removed, the voltage will recover to just above 3.0V/cell. A cutoff of 7.2V would mean that you are drainging a 3s pack to 2.4V/cell under load. If you want to be conservative, you could set that to 9.0V and drain your packs to 3.0V/cell under load. This will, of course, shorten your flight times. But, as Drivie said, if you are not worried about that , then no problem. I personally have my LVC's set to 5.0V for the planes I fly 2s packs in and 9.0 for the 3s planes. The main point I want to make is that you are not pushing the envelope at all by draining your 3s packs to 9.0V under load. In fact, you are being safely conservative.

On another note, Troy wanted me to make sure I remind everyone about his price matching policy. Hopefully everyone has seen the posts about very good pricing on Etech 1200 cells at a certain vendor. I asked Troy if he would match that price and he did! So, I got these latest 12 cells for a very good price! If you are in need of some Lipo cells, I suggest giving Troy a call.

Thanks,
Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Sep 23, 2003, 09:23 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AZ_Astro
BirdOfPrey: Can we make canopies on your vacuum table??? Heh heh... Where are those 1 liter coke bottles?
Think you could run off a few canopies for me? I'll pay well

Joe (P.)- thanks for the info. Mine were about 3.10-3.15 per cell under load, so at least I didn't do any damage. Still, I don't think I will ever stretch it that long again. I flew this morning, and I just went up for a burst every minute or so, until I felt the teensiest bit of power loss. With my income, you can bet it'll be a looonnnggg time before I screw up my TP's. Have fun with the new batteries! Man, 12 cells! If you ever want to clear out some room at the workshop, or put a few cycles on the batteries, let me know

Dan