Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:01 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Hey guys,

I like the new thread. I also filled out a form for a web site. But, I have a couple of questions. How much bandwidth do I ask for? I don't even know where to begin with that.

Also, what about the domain name? Do I need to register that somewhere? Does it cost money?

Thanks,
Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:13 AM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
The domain name costs around $20-30 a month, so it really isn't worth it. As for bandwidth goes, I had no idea either. I think around 2000mb, but I am not sure.

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:14 AM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Quote:
I like the new thread. I also filled out a form for a web site. But, I have a couple of questions. How much bandwidth do I ask for? I don't even know where to begin with that.
Hey Joe, First, it's FREE.. I asked for 50 megs and got 300. I also asked for 1 gig transfer and I'm not quite sure what I got.
The control panel and features of this are Awesome! You can setup a guest book, message board, email,Chat room and a bunch of other things.

Kenny..

I've been playing around a bit with the space.
http://www.ripnburn.rchomepage.com/

EDIT: Dan, you don't need to pay for this. I just entered my user name and they provided the sub domain under rchomepage.com
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Last edited by Rip-N-Burn; Aug 19, 2003 at 09:19 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:51 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Cool!

Well I just left the bandwidth section blank. I will see what they say.

In my job, I use the term bandwidth quite a bit. But I have no idea if it is applied the same way in internet applications. Even if it is used the same, I would not know how much bandwidth I would need or how much would be way too much. Is 100Mhz enough, 1GHz?

Anyhow, I will just wait and see what they say.

BTW. Guess what I got in the mail yesterday. I got my Tantrum!

It was perfect timing. I got a slimer ARF kit on Saturday and finished in on Sunday. I needed something to build.

Any ideas you guys might have on a covering scheme I would greatly like to hear. I have some red, transparent red, yellow, dark blue and black solite.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Aug 19, 2003, 04:58 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
For a cloaking domain name, it can be 20-30 bucks a month. IE: www.Kennysplanes.com . I would much rather take the couple seconds extra it takes to type in .rchomepage.com than pay that. Kind of on that subject- what are you using to make your webpage, Kenny? Not the WYSWYIG editor, I'll bet.

Awesome on the Tantrum, but what are you doing with another slimer What is it? I still fly and love them, just not as much. As for the scheme, just start drawing stuff up, you will come across the right one.

Has anyone around here given indoor flying a shot? I would like to, since there is no weather except the A/C. I will see if I can at GHS, but I doubt they would let me.

Dan
Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:22 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Got my free account...very cool!

Drivie
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:50 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Good deal Dan. I cant wait to see what you come up with, being the Guru that you are.

I went for the Pocket Combat Twin today.
The little box had a bunch of foam stuff in it and after I threw it out There was only two little pieces of wood left. I think they made a mistake packing it..

Kenny
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:24 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
HA! Shame on you for being such a traitor...oh wait...I'm in no position to talk...DOH!

I'm not much of a guru when it comes to web design...probably won't see anything special on my site. On top of that, I don't have a video camera so I can't produce those cool vids you guys are making.

Oh well, it will still be a site for my plane pics and stuff.

Drivie
Old Aug 19, 2003, 09:25 PM
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
Ripnburn:

Funny about the Pocket Combat Twin. Threw out the foam packing, eh?

Great find on the web hosting. I have passed the info along to a couple of flyers who really will appreciate it.

I also signed up. Will have to brush up on my html design though!
AZ_Astro is offline Find More Posts by AZ_Astro
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:09 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Kenny- what do you use to make your web pages? They really look top notch. I have found the editor from Cpanel kind of crappy, and I don't have any expensive web page programs. Thanks,

Dan
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:26 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Thanks Dan, it's just FrontPage. Itís part of Office XP actually. I downloaded a free template off the web and added some stuff to it. No big deal really. I certainly donít have the knowledge, patience, creativity or TIME for anything else.

Jim, do you think 5 or 15 minute epoxy will be ok on the PCT? With exception of the motors, I canít believe how little is in the kit for 59 bucks. Iím not knocking it down (YET), itís just an observation. My wife was a little baffled as well.
Quote:
HA! Shame on you for being such a traitor...oh wait...I'm in no position to talk...DOH!
I know Dan. It took alot to buy it. I didn't even shop around the store much. In and out, oh the shame..

Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:38 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SkyPyro
Kenny- what do you use to make your web pages? They really look top notch. I have found the editor from Cpanel kind of crappy, and I don't have any expensive web page programs. Thanks,

Dan

Dan, if you're in to learning HTML, a good freeware editor is 1st Page. I've used it to design our company website and it works well. It's not as easy as a WYSIWYG editor but you can learn something while you go

You can get it at the following address:

http://www.evrsoft.com/

Drivie
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:01 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
So Kenny- are you still interested in the IPS+ ESC? If not, I think I will post it for sale on here. The only problem is that I lose a lot of the money for just shipping, especially if it is insured and w/e.

Dan- believe it or not, I know a little bit of HTML and other languages. I can make text, insert javascripts, and other little stuff. However, it is really a pain to make an entire web page that way. I found the WYSWYIG editor to be pretty weak, especially compared to other web page editors like Homestead and Coolpage.

The guy that taught me how to fly may come out some weekend, although I haven't called him yet (only available through his work phone.) He is a really great guy, he taught me how to build, cover, fly, fix, and so much more, I really owe pretty much everything I can do with airplanes to him, although a ton of people have helped me along the way as well. He also rebuilt airplanes, from Wacos to new planes that had a mishap, or just need some work to make it new. However, he is one of those electric non-believers, and hasn't actually seen anything but the rare Zagi or Tiger Moth that came by the glow field fly. So, lets give him a show

Dan
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:06 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
ripnburn,

I'll chime in here a little to help with the PCT. The best glue to use to get the most durability is shoe goo/goop/all purpose welder.
As far as the price is concerned, keep in mind that there are $20.00 worth of motors and props in the kit, not to mention the retail mark-up, and all of the other materials, labor and packaging. In the end I make very little for a lot of work. I have still got to pay the rent and feed the kids.

SkyPyro,

We just did the indoor flying thing last night (Monday) as a CASL club meeting. It was a ton of fun and there were approx 40 planes in attendance. I even flew the PCW indoors. Oh how small the space can get so fast. Even the Slow Sticks were kind of fast. It may become a regular monthly event to be paired with the CASL monthly meeting. We flew at the First United Methodist Church in Gilbert. Scott from Adventure brought out a large assortment of Road Kill models and really showed us what indoor flying is all about.

Justin Ammon
birdofprey is offline Find More Posts by birdofprey
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:15 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Justin, thanks for the tip. I know the motors are a large part of the price. It was just kinda funny explaining that to Mama. Some foam and a few pieces of wood is all it looked like to her. I'm really looking forward to the build and flying it. When you were first testing it out, I think I bothered you every week for a month about selling it. Then other things came up.
Dan, I'm going to cut out the foamtana this week, so I'll let you know about the motor.

Kenny