HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2003, 05:58 PM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Quote:
I edited the first post for this thread, adding a few 'rules of the road' and directions to the Chandler Bowl. Pls advise if I've missed something important.
Thats great Jim.

Dan, I dont know the size of the shafts, I thought they were pretty standard. One is carbon and cost 7 bucks and the other is aluminium and cost two buck. The aluminium weighs 2.2 oz with feathers and the carbon weighed 2.0oz with feathers. So do you think the ips will work with a 24 inch foamtona? If so I'll probably take that setup off your hands.

Kenny..
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2003, 07:04 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Hmmm, I think you would have to ask someone else that. Also, I think that carbon fiber ribbon would be a way better alternative to the spar for a plane of that size. You can pick it up at most hobby shops. I know HobbyTown had some, but I ran 'em out a little while ago. You could certainly try the motor/ESC, and if it doesn't work we could just swap back, or you could find a stronger motor or something.

Dan
SkyPyro is offline Find More Posts by SkyPyro
Old Aug 18, 2003, 08:33 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Woo Hoo! Maiden, baby! I flew at low rate elevator the whole time I couldn't do knife edge because the slightest little bit would make it start a KE loop, and the normal loops were too tight to be legal You should see the vertical, too! It just skyrockets until I can't see it, I think I took off at least 2 ounces. Man, someone up there was looking out for me though, some annoying kids (am I allowed to call 'em that? ) came over and talked to me, and asked me to land it. Since I hadn't yet, I thought I would give it a go. Perfect "10" landing right in the middle of the lawn, and I showed 'em the guts and how you control it, etc. I look up, and all the sudden all hell breaks loose, and a ginormous dust storm kicks up, it must be going 40 mph! I can't even fly the Tribute at that speed, it would be miles away with it's wings folded. I am practically shaking right now, the time between the huge wind hit (I don't need to tell you guys, in AZ there is no such thing as gradual) was not even 20 seconds. I am so happy it came back unscathed.

Dan
Old Aug 18, 2003, 08:42 PM
Fly
Veracitarian Muser
Tempe, Arizona USA
Joined Dec 2001
582 Posts
Jim,

GREAT job editing the first post. Everything looks right and well said to me.

Kenny,

$50 at Adventure, huh? You can power any not too hot 280 or smaller, or a lightly proped 370. For example, the mini BOP beta I was flying Saturday worked with a DD 370 right off a Slow Stick on the 1500 cells. It did fly better with an 8 cell NiMH (the LI are closer to 6.5 NiMH cells), but that was well within its current capabilities. The IPS is best under 8 oz, but the 280 will take you up to 12 if you don't need fast climbs. You could fly the Slow Stick on a 280 (but I wouldn't!!!).

I'm thinking a great plane for these cells might be a Sig Jenny. I bought my brother one for his birthday and he should maiden it tonight. He will be using the smaller Qualcom 830 cells in it, but with a little carving out of the battery tray, the 1500s should fit in and give at least 45 minute flights. Scott does have a Jenny in stock, too. The Jenny is a slow flier that would make a great second plane for most, and a great relaxing plane for nearly anyone.

Another great plane that might be more fun for your way-past-beginner skills would be the Edge RC Pocket Combat Twin. I think the 1500s would do well it in (they may be too heavy for the PCW single engine).

I don't know if Scott has one, but I bet he can get one for you. I think Justin mentioned that Adventure is one of the local dealers of his planes. (Or maybe he said he would like them to be?!!!!) Or, just order the PCWTwin from EdgeRC and use your gift certificate for some servos and receiver and ESC (which might use up most of that cert!).

If you can't make up your mind, I would be happy to pick one out for you, and I will even be happy to build it and fly it for you, as well as keep it warm in my hanger when not flying. Just let me know if I can help!

-- Alan
Fly is online now Find More Posts by Fly
Old Aug 18, 2003, 09:31 PM
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
$50 gift certificate at Adventure. Oh what to buy? What to buy?
AZ_Astro is offline Find More Posts by AZ_Astro
Old Aug 18, 2003, 09:38 PM
DLG Fan
Tempe, AZ
Joined Nov 2002
1,966 Posts
SkyPyro:

I mail order my carbon fiber rods from Hang-em High Kite Store:

http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-hig....cgi?ID=ZOA76F

Lots of variety and very reasonable prices. Fast shipping.

My two orders came in indestructable tubes.

AZ_Astro
AZ_Astro is offline Find More Posts by AZ_Astro
Old Aug 18, 2003, 09:57 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Alan, your to funny...LOL... 50 bucks doesn't get much. I really wanted a PCW twin since I saw his first proto type. Maybe I'll call Nathan in the AM and order one..

Hey, have any of you noticed this before??

http://rcgroups.com/ads/adclick.php?...Fwebmasters%2F

I just got 300 megs of space. Is E-zone AWESOME!! or what??
Shouldn't be any more problems storing large Video's.. Yahooo!!
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:40 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
Yah, got my own little website. www.RCStuff.cjb.net . Haven't had much time to update it, though. I lost all my files when I exceeded bandwidth, and deleted everything to see if it would help. Nope. I still have that logo thing on there though, which is yet to be finished.

Also- hopefully you guys were down during the winds I described up there? I could hear the house whistling it was so bad.

Dan
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:45 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Cool.. Hey for free, you just cant beat

300Megs!!

Through a quicky page up to test it out..
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:06 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2003
2,848 Posts
I'm a Ripnburn forum member The few, the proud, the only... Cool page!

Dan
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:33 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Hi Guys,

Dan: Thanks for the link to this thread as I would never have seen it.

AZ Astro: Thanks for starting this thread and for the great info at the the top. Your comment about the 3D flyers was pretty funny...SkyPyro wasn't in the picture

Kenny: I filled out the form to see if I can get a site too...I mean, why not? Looks awesome.

Talk to you guys later!

Drivie
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:21 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Kenny:

Joe's Tantrum film works fine through the RC Groups site on this end. Thanks - Good filming and flying!

Back to burning holes in Solite and swearing in paragraphs.

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:26 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by daveWCO

Back to burning holes in Solite and swearing in paragraphs.
Amen to that! Sounds just like me when I tackle a covering job...my least favorite thing to do.

Good luck!

Drivie
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:52 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Drivie:

I'm convinced good covering skills rest in genetics. After destroying several sheets of Solite, I handed the iron and heat gun to my wife. She covered an aileron in ~20 minutes and walked away, probably thinking, "What's the big deal?" Not a bad job either.....

Ok. Time for business. I've got the talc powder out now!

daveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:58 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
LOL! I'd like to think I might be getting better at this covering business but then I never really know for sure because my schemes are pretty bland...we'll see

Keep up the good work...look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Drivie