HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:45 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Build Log
Newbie build...Dumas Racing Runabout

I have been remiss on starting a build log for this boat. I started around the first of the year and so far, for a first build of this type for me, it's going fairly smoothly. Not really too much to see here, as others have done this boat with much more skill than I have, but thought I'd share anyway.

Happy Easter everyone....

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:06 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,793 Posts
Kevin,

You are doing excellent work on the boat, the fit and finish is perfect. Looking forward to seeing it on the water.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,475 Posts
Very Nice !

Very nice work Kevin !

Were you happy with the condition of the wood in the kit, or has is cracked / splintered ?
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:34 PM
Joined Jul 2008
769 Posts
Planking is superb- unlike mine you got them to come out symmetrical on the deck. Might want to test the seal in the bottom center of the hull where the sentra planks join -before you paint over- mine leaked there.
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:14 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,232 Posts
Very nice. Clean lines too.
Rmay is online now Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:24 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. As far as the wood is concerned, some of the ply for the framing was a little rough/splintered but certainly functional. The diecut mahogany seems very good, and the planking material seems good as well. Of course I have no experience to compare it to. In my mind, for the money, Dumas puts out a very nice kit.

Funny you mention the planking Habanero. Even with what I thought was careful measuring on the deck, I noticed that my spacing was slightly off as I neared the sideboards on the foredeck. I ended up trimming the width of the last few planks on one side by just a fraction so that they'd look symmetrical along the sideboards. I think it's slight enough that no one but me will notice.

The other oops was alongside the engine cover, when my plank laid down a bit crooked. The CA went off before I could repositon, so I had to do the other side to match. My initial plan was not to use the "chrome" trim around the engine hatch, but I think I will have to now to hide my mistake!!!

Also, I filleted and sealed all the wood and seams with epoxy from inside before the deck went on, so hopefully I won't have any leak worries.

Ed....it will be fun to get together at the lake and compare "toys". I can only hope that mine will look half as nice as yours!!!

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Apr 24, 2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: misspell
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:13 AM
il
Joined Dec 2008
127 Posts
Very nice!
rotation slim is offline Find More Posts by rotation slim
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:10 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,691 Posts
nice work.
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:06 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,260 Posts
What they said.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:10 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,691 Posts
Anyone know why Dumass did the sintra on some boats, and double planked the others? Is it easier to use? Cheaper? Just curious...

Dion
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:42 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
I think they use the Sintra on their newer kit designs, especially the ones that have somewhat simpler hull shapes. I don't think the plastic panels could make the more complex shapes of the "barrelback" style boats for example. I realize purists might not like the Sintra, but from what I gather it does help to keep the weight down and it's fairly easy for a dummy like me to work with.

Got the deck, transom and hatch glassed last night and today on my day off. Was hoping for a more noticeable two tone on the deck, but the resin seemed to darken the unstained deck planking more than I expected. Oh well, live and learn.
Last edited by poltergeist; Jun 02, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southsea
Joined Apr 2011
197 Posts
they look very nice , one day i may even build myself a 1/12th scale version ! not too soon though as ive already got 2 fairey huntsman a fairey spear & christinna 25 on my slip ! !
triumphjon is offline Find More Posts by triumphjon
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:40 PM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
158 Posts
Progress?

Kevin,

How about a progress report. Is there anything left after all that sanding?

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:36 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
662 Posts
Well....since you asked

Decided to overcoat the West System epoxy with marine spar varnish. Tried to spray the entire boat at once and ended up with a mess of orange peel and runs. So back to the drawing board and gonna spray each "panel" one at a time.

Did the port topsides today after work. Came out better....not perfect, but it may have to be good enough.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:25 AM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
158 Posts
Looks beautiful. Remember the "guy on horseback"
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault