View Poll Results: Model platform
Delta 88 57.52%
Non Delta 65 42.48%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 06, 2011, 02:44 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
865 Posts
Hi Von W. Can I get you to try chaning the wing a bit, just an experement. Here is a pic. of the wing.
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 03:49 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
traditional design

the numbers look very good Frank and I like your airfoil. I would say let's try it.

I too would like to see more of Boredom's design. the only thing I recommended is to change the aspect ratio of the wing, so that it's a more swept back design. straight out like that is great for slow landings and takeoffs, but not so great for high speed flight since it doesn't fit inside the bow wave created by the nose. as I had said, it looks very much like a Mig 23 or a Tornado with the wings fully swept forward. it would look much better in a position more akin to the mid sweep point of those airplanes mentioned. like this..............
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old May 06, 2011, 04:11 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
I'll be posting as I am learning a lot from you guys. I just haven't really had anything new.

I won't use any units as this is still completely arbitrary. The root of the wing panel is 227. The total distance from leading edge to trailing is 297.4. The wingtip is 86.5. The distance from the root to the tip is 372.2.

Would the aspect ration be 372.2/227, or would it be 372.2/297.4?
It would be best if someone could just modify my pic below. I understand what is being said. I just do not want to cause more negatives than positives. (if you get what I mean)

Also how would you know where the bow wave on a model like this would be?
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old May 06, 2011, 04:21 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
traditional wing

here's something along the lines of how my wing would look on your fuselage.
Old May 06, 2011, 04:22 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
perhaps a little more shaped on the tip section, to make it look more sweeping and faster.
Old May 06, 2011, 04:37 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Is there any particular airfoil?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2011, 09:12 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I think airfoil choice is much less critical than other parameters. as long as it's a symmetrical section, or a very challow semi-symmetrical section, you should be ok. if it were me, I would choose a symmetrical one though. there are many to choose from in the NACA library, but any of the 000X sections should be ok. ie: 006,007, 008, etc. if you get the basic version of Profili, there are many sections to choose from. hope that helps.

Rich
Old May 07, 2011, 02:12 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
865 Posts
Glad to see you still with us Boredom. The last pic. posted by Rich looks awsome and then some. Reg. airfoil I would goe for sometihing like PW51, PW75, or you could try mine. If you use a symmetrical airfoil you will need a little nouse op when flying, in order to fly level.
Old May 07, 2011, 12:10 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
or some wing incidence. either way, you are scrubbing some top speed I think. this is why I also suggested a shallow semi-symmetrical section. by shallow, I mean not quite symmetrical, but almost. this will give you the advantages of a symmetrical, but with the extra lift capability of a semi-symmetrical. I think your airfoil might work well in this planform Frank.
Old May 07, 2011, 02:41 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
865 Posts
Hi Rich

I tryed to google "shallow airfoils" but this dose not give me any results. Do you know some airfoils like that, I would like to do some simulations on them.

Frank
Old May 08, 2011, 01:02 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
not sure how to describe it, other than to say that it's any airfoil that almost looks symmetrical, without being totally symemtrical. imagine a NACA 006 foil being slightly flattened on the bottom, to not look quite symmetrical.
Old May 08, 2011, 04:19 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Would the aspect ration be 372.2/227, or would it be 372.2/297.4?

Also how would you know where the bow wave on a model like this would be?
Hey B.I.M,
Question 1: Aspect ratio is (span^2 / wing area) for wings that aren't constant chord.

Question 2: There is no bow (shock) wave on our models as we're no where near mach 1. For us, the less sweep, the better. That's why the pylon guys, DS guys, anyone who does real speed has straight wings. Sweep is all about looks (until you get to around 45-50 degrees - then it's a delta, and a different kettle of fish)

LE7 - something like the 1306?
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old May 08, 2011, 09:32 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
?1: Thanks
?2: I knew I wasn't crazy.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2011, 10:22 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
865 Posts
Hi there

Boredom: I notes that in one of your posts you wright" I just do not want to cause more negatives than positives. (if you get what I mean)" I don't get it?

It's sound like you will back out of this thread, please don't. Jump right back into our playground and poste all you want.

Rich: Ok... thought it was a type of airfoil that I did't know of.
Old May 08, 2011, 10:32 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
There is no bow (shock) wave on our models as we're no where near mach 1. For us, the less sweep, the better. That's why the pylon guys, DS guys, anyone who does real speed has straight wings. Sweep is all about looks
Right on again! What looks fast on a model ( sharp noses and swept wings) in many cases is actually slower.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg